Procrastination, Avoidance and Obsessing!!!

Stress can keep you down. Stress can also help you create. Learn to make stress a positive force in your life.
Abbey3680

Post by Abbey3680 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:37 am

I have been trying to finish up the program for the last couple of weeks. I have been stuck on session 14 for the last two weeks. I finally get a groove going, then I stop doing anything for a couple of days. I'm so close to finishing the program, but I feel like I'm avoiding it and procrastinating with it.

In session 14 I have been experiencing panic attacks, anxiety and anxious episodes. Lately, I've been obsessing over pain. Particularly, pain associated with childbirth. I love kids and I would like to try to have a child within the next year. My fear of pain, is causing me to doubt my ability to be able to cope with the pain of childbirth. I'm so afraid that I am considering adoption instead of giving birth. I feel like I'm being a coward and not facing my fears. I'm so terrified of the pain, that it is causing me to think of other alternatives.

I recently had surgery for endometriosis. I obsessed over the pain associated with this surgery. I obsessed over the iv, I obsessed over the anesthesia. I really felt that I was going to lose my mind worrying about the surgery. I got through the surgery and hopefully it was successful. I really feel that If I want children, I should face my fears and have them. I'm just feeling that if I had a hard time undergoing surgery for endometriosis, how am I going to react to the pain associated with childbirth.

Can anyone relate to what I am feeling and saying?

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:58 am

Hi

I am 38 years old and my clock is definitely ticking. I totally relate to you. I would love to have a child, but I feel like my body can't handle the whole pregnancy thing. It's too stressful on my body. I think the worst will happen to me physically. I am considering adoption in the future. I think my body is too anxious to get pregnant anyway.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:02 am

Yes, I can relate. Obsessing about pain has been a big issue for me. I have had two children and went through childbirth etc...There are many measures in helping now a days for childbirth. However, if its not childbirth it will be something else. I have found in doing Lucindas program that it is in the acceptance, nonavoidance behavior that really allows us to move ahead. That is the hardest part...doing the things that absolutely are the hardest....Listen to the tape of anticipatory anxiety...That addresses all these issues.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:29 am

Originally posted by tricia:
Hi

I am 38 years old and my clock is definitely ticking. I totally relate to you. I would love to have a child, but I feel like my body can't handle the whole pregnancy thing. It's too stressful on my body. I think the worst will happen to me physically. I am considering adoption in the future. I think my body is too anxious to get pregnant anyway.
Hi Tricia, thank you for your response. I too am considering adoption. I was told by my physician that my chances of getting pregnant by intercourse are slim to none, due to endometriosis. I do have the option of doing IVF, that is expensive. I wish you much success in your endeavors.

Empressearth

Post by Empressearth » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:35 am

Originally posted by formyboys:
Yes, I can relate. Obsessing about pain has been a big issue for me. I have had two children and went through childbirth etc...There are many measures in helping now a days for childbirth. However, if its not childbirth it will be something else. I have found in doing Lucindas program that it is in the acceptance, nonavoidance behavior that really allows us to move ahead. That is the hardest part...doing the things that absolutely are the hardest....Listen to the tape of anticipatory anxiety...That addresses all these issues.
I agree, if it is not one thing, it will be another. I am finally on my final session. Once I am done, I plan to give myself the two week break Lucinda advises, then start reviewing the sessions that I feel are best suited for what I'm having problems in dealing with. I do recall that session dealing with anticipatory anxiety, and feel that it will be an excellent one to re-visit. Thanks so much for your response.

Return to “Session 14 - How to Keep Stress from Becoming Anxiety”