Work Stess Becoming Anxiety

Stress can keep you down. Stress can also help you create. Learn to make stress a positive force in your life.
rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:29 pm

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with stess at work? I am doing the job of 2 people and our company is not going to afford to hire anyone else any time soon. I feel so overwhelmed. I know that I'm blowing it out of porportion. How can I talk myself into reacting less to job stess?
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

Vanity

Post by Vanity » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:06 pm

Don't work to hard, do the best that you can, that's all you can do. I can only image your work load but it's not your fault that the company can not afford to hire anyone. You can only do what you can at your on paste. Think of the positive things that you like about your job and think about why you chose to work for this company. You should be alright.

Best Wishes,

Vanity
maliawrighting

Laura'sJoyIsComingBack

Post by Laura'sJoyIsComingBack » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:24 am

Hi Rose - I too am overwhelmed at work. I manage a law firm and the stress of work alone
is enough to send me to peak anxiety. I'm on Week 9 of the Program and although I'm not "recovered" (which by the way, I fully intend to be), I have learned to be kind to myself. I use the deep breathing, I STOP, IDENTIFY, COPE AND RELAX. I use the Relaxation
tape everyday and am growing in my own personal
security. Work is tricky - especially if you've always given 150%. Its hard for us to cut back, its also hard on those you don't want
to help us cut back, kind of a double edged sword, but I'm finding that if I express myself calmly and most importantly, kindly, I feel better and am able to deal with the stress easier. We are human, we have to have boundaries, and its so important to take care
of ourselves. If you're working the program, stick with it. I am and I know together we can
all overcome those things which we desire to change. Have a good day - Laura

ES

Post by ES » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:48 am

I found some great stress relieve using breathing techniques & emotion freedom techniques that i found on this cool site called <A HREF="http://www.flyinganxiety.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.flyinganxiety.com</A> . They talk about eft as being similar to acupuncture.

JpHobo

Post by JpHobo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:23 pm

Rose Thorn 98,
It is common practice to push an employee to do the work of two and except the complaining after the employee has demonstrated the abilities to produce results acceptable to management .
Unfortunately , the employee can interpret this level of performance as going above and beyond . It is just that. However, if no understanding is developed that the employee takes this as temporary and for an accepted reasonable time frame , management could use plasible deniable explanations to say well" we did not thnk there was a problem with the amount or level of work because we were satisfied with the results and you did not communicate any conflict to them about your stress level. Therefore the employee gets beat up , is affraid to move out or speak up , and is fearful of management retalition. Hell well keep her to she drops ,were covered with our explanation and reasoning , and we'll just replace her or him.
Get the resume going , talk to HR , Go on job interviews . Let them think your going to contribute somewhere else , get the offer, plunk it on their desk . Leave if you must inorder to protect your health. 2 Jobs are better than one if one is killing you slowly.

Good luck with your decision . Sincerely,
JpHobo

Don57

Post by Don57 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:59 am

I see it somewhat along the lines of JpHobo, Rose. There needs to be a balance between helping the company out and the company not taking advantage of you. It's normal for a company to ask its employees to work more if there is a revenue problem, but there are limits, there have to be limits. Letting your boss know that the workload is becoming excessive may be an appropriate thing to do in your situation.
Life's battles don't always go to the stronger, the smarter, the faster hand; But sooner or later the person who wins is the one who thinks "I can." Author Unknown

http://dp19032k9.webs.com

rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:07 pm

Update, I quit that job and got a new one for better pay, less stress, and a two block commute. I start it next week. I've been having lots of stress related physical illnesses and even my Dr.s have said I needed to quit that job. Thanks for the support and ya'll are right...no job is worth risking your health.
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

Return to “Session 14 - How to Keep Stress from Becoming Anxiety”