"The Secret"

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
ronda stephens

Post by ronda stephens » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:38 am

nelly do you know how many women would be miserable if they gave up all control to their husbands? would you sit around like sarah and let your husband have many children with the servant?
lug,chad is hearing god. you are hearing god too,but are you listening? i know chad will do what you want. do you really want to have less money? do you need that house? listen to your head. make the right choice. have at it girls :D

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:18 am

Anita,
There are things im good at, and things my husband is good at. But i trust his decisions, sometimes at the moment i may not agree with them, but i trust them because i know he went to God first, and didnt make the decision hastily.
We are ONE when it come to our marriage. And he wants and ask for my input about decisions,and many times after he has prayed about something, several weeks later, he will come to me and say, " We are going to do your suggestion, and then tell me why.
So he is very considerate about my feelings, my intellegence, but because he is my husband, i put my trust in his decisions:) Nelly

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:50 pm

hey there nelly, you and your husband has a relationship lotsa people would love to have. i have known that ever since i met you :).you are blessed to have it.
lug, you and chad have a great one too. :D
mine and poppas is more like yours. he will do what i want. it takes more of the kind of( secret)thing for me. i think it and make it happen.
it's not really a secret for some of us. i do believe we are in charge of ourselves. bbl, kp

lucky7

Post by lucky7 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:55 am

New to the forums so I'm a bit behind the times..."The Secret" is nothing new. Try reading Dale Carnegie or Napolean Hill. Their books were written decades ago but basically convey the same message. Always amazes me how there is nothing new under the sun!

Dina

Post by Dina » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:06 pm

No matter if you believe the secret or not I DONT think God wants us to have anxiety, It is our thoughts. God wants us to love and be happy not like this!

lucky7

Post by lucky7 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:39 am

Dina, I agree with you whole-heartedly. Try reading Phillipians in the Bible. He tells us to not be anxious (Phil 4:6) I was only making comments about the Secret because I feel the author is just recycling stuff that has been around forever...like since the Bible was written!

King V

Post by King V » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:35 am

The secret yes I know the secret it takes peoples money and thats the secret.

They took an old way of thinking giving it a modern twist and re packaged it for people who are not aware it's old.

But the original people made more sense they did't have the fantasy that your wishes magically appear. Can't believe how people get sucked in to this nonsense.

My Fearrari would be in my driveway many years ago.

WORK HARD, SET GOALS and strive to be a better person.

No one drops money at your front door-If you don't work at something you love your not going to succeed.

Go to Norman Vincent Peale site look at the authors from 1900-1930 or so the secret is a farse! Don't get sucked in. If it were that easy every Tom - Dick or Harry would be doing it.

Nothing for Nothing = zero

flaxenfire

Post by flaxenfire » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:56 pm

Hi all,
I have the book "The Secret" and have to admit that it did do some good for me: The premise, that you attract the things that happen to you, is not a new concept, but like the author, Rhonda Byrne, says in the introduction, perhaps it is "catching on" so much with people because it was time to "reintroduce" it to the general public.
For someone such as myself, who tends to dwell on the negative and practices avoidance behavior, I've often thought that, if my mind can focus so much and create such powerful feelings in me when I have negative thoughts, shouldn't my mind also be able to work the other way as well? So, in that regard, this book is helpful to remind me of the power of one's thoughts in connection to one's feelings.
There are, however, a number of aspects I didn't find to my liking: First of all, there is great focus on material acquisition, which of course is so prevalent in society today. You want a new car? Imagine yourself with your hands on the steering wheel and -- presto! -- it will be yours. You want to get rich? Imagine getting large checks in the mail (there is even one contibutor who says he 'imagined' the bills he got every month turning into checks, and then, one day, he started getting more checks than bills. What he didn't say is HOW he managed to get checks in the mail...not very helpful to anyone looking for concrete information)...
Most of the contributors to this book are somewhat new-agey, which is fine, except that entails lots of "pie in the sky" talk and not a lot of concrete, step-by-step examples.
Further, there is a rather off-putting chapter about creating one's ideal body images. It tells the reader to imagine oneself at one's ideal weight, and that if you "don't think about fat" you won't be fat (of course, it doesn't mention that you will also need to eat appropriately and exercise while thinking said thoughts)...
So, all in all, I think this book is a mixed bag. The overall premise I can understand, and appreciate, though I'm certain it's been written about more artfully in the past ("The Power of Positive Thinking" comes to mind). Further, the focus on materialistic gain is rather off-putting, at the expense of finding a true sense of self-empowerment and spiritual awareness. The whole thing seems like some grand marketing scheme, something like you'd see on informercials...read it if you'd like, but take it all with a grain of salt. Keep focused on the good it talks about, and skip over the fluff and greed. Just my two cents!

sleeplessinseattle

Post by sleeplessinseattle » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:53 pm

I think this book is treading on thin ice- "The enemey will disguise himself as light".

marypixley

Post by marypixley » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:21 am

I have the DVD and I just love it. I watch it when I am losing hope or just need a shot of positive vibes...I think I will get the book also