"The Secret"

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
guayhumanperson

Post by guayhumanperson » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:31 am

i haven't read this book but I feel like i disagree about its premise. I do believe that to a certain extant we can attract good things, but I don't think we are the ones who necesarily create everything that happens to us. If that were true, that would mean I wanted anxiety. And I don't know about you, but I'm betting a lot of people on here don't want to feel that they have anxiety because they want to have it. Also, if a loved one dies, that would mean you somehow participated in the death occurring.

Mom of three

Post by Mom of three » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:13 pm

I am still forming an opinion on The Secret myself, but as far as anxiety, my take on the book is that we tell ourselves "I do not want to be anxious" and our mind / spirit/ whatever only hears "anxiety" and so attracts it. According to The Secret (again, I am formulating my opinion as we go), we should say more of what Lucinda says at the end of the relaxation tape "I am peaceful. I want to be calm." etc- focus on the positive.

linjon38

Post by linjon38 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:42 am

I haven't read the book yet,but I intend to soon! The book I suggest to everyone is "The Power of Positive Thinking." Very Inspiring!!!

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:22 am

For starters, one of the main premises in the Secret is to go by your "feelings" and emotions. It says if you "feel good" then you're on the right path, but if you "feel bad" then you're going the wrong direction. This is in direct contradiction to Jer. 17:9 wich states that the heart (feelings) is deceitful and wicked and cannot be trusted. Read all Jeremiah 17 to get full context.

This "feel good" mentality makes no sense at all. Think about it, doesn't ALL sin feel good? I mean, if sin felt bad WHO would do it? HA HA! Not only that, but one of their main examples of "The Secret" in action was of a gay man and a fornicator. I will not get into a debate on this here, just refer to The Word. 1 Cor. 6:9-10 says it clearly.

Also, in "the Secret Movie" Neal Donald Walsh said "God has no purpose for your life, it's what you make it and you'll never be judged for it, not now not ever." This is in direct contradiction to the hundreds of scriptures refering to the final judgment. Romans 2:4-6 and thoughout the entire New Testament the Final Judgment is spoken of.

On a similar note, on the Oprah Winfrey Show, Dr Michael Beckwith quoted whom he calls "Jesus, The Prophet" (this is what those who deny the Diety of Christ commonly refer to Him as)as saying "the Kingdom Of God is within" he apparently, didn't read the Scripture in context. "The Kindom Of God" and Heaven are 2 separate things. Jesus is the Kingdon Of God. Specifically, The Body Of Christ; The Church. That's why He said "The Kindom Of God Is At Hand" in Mark 1:14-16 Also, it is clearly noted throughout Scripture that Heaven & Hell are physical places as shown in the Book of Matthew. Heaven is where the Father resides. Also Heaven and Hell NOT our final resting place, but the New Earth & Lake Of Fire.
This is my take on some of the secret. Nelly:)

cindylou

Post by cindylou » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:25 pm

Wow Nelly!
What wonderful support for your statements! :)
Linda,
Read your profile and YES you will get to driving with comfort with this program!!!! Worked for me and it still amazes me!!
Sorry to get a bit off topic. ;)
Hugs to all.

CA Rita

Post by CA Rita » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:40 pm

My son gave me the DVD of The Secret. It has been very inspirational. I highly recommend it, also.

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:17 am

Christine,
I really havent posed any challenge here, just stating my reaction tWhat Does The Bible Say? Does It Contradict "The Secret?"
"The Secret" teachers make the claim that everything "bad" that happens to you is your own creation. Now, I am not denying that in SOME cases this is the case, but definately not most. Jesus said in Matthew 5:44-46 that God in HEAVEN (another reference to a physical place NOT just a state of mind FYI) makes it to rain and the sun to shine on the good and the evil. In other words, "Good things happen to bad people, and bad things happen to good people." In the Book Of Ecclesiastes Solomon, states that "time & Chance" happens to all. In other words, "Stuff happens." Futhermore, in The Book Of James he speaks about trials and difficulties you'll face. Also Jesus states that we will be HATED for His namesake. Funny how "The Secret" teachers leave that part out.

Another important component that is left missing is the devil. You see we have a real advasary and they are playing right into his hands. The devil's 2 biggest tricks are twisting the Word of God to make man the God, and convincing mankind he doesn't exsist. He has definately succeeded with that with "The Secret."

The Bible also teaches to "Fight The Good Fight Of Faith." This is the part that irks me the most. They state that if you stand against injustice, you attact more of it. Tell that to the Civil Rights Activists, the Founding Father's Of America, etc. If someone didn't STAND UP and STAND AGAINST injustice, we wouldn't be here right now, I know I certainly wouldn't.
o the film and the book.
How can you beleive in GOD, and NOT KNOW he has a purpose and a plan for EACH of us?
Yes Christine i certainly have wrung my hands, and been scared in the past of symptoms of anxiety. Yes this program helped me, by teaching me tools to help me understand they couldnt hurt me, but my FAITH taught me more. That by going through negative trials, hardships, pain, not only have i learned, but my Faith in God grew stronger. Nelly:)
There isnt anything wrong with thinking positive, but carrying it to the level that we are Gods, is going to far to me.

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:01 am

Luvg,
I like you no matter what also. We disagree on this book. There is nothing wrong with positive thoughts, i agree with you there also.
We differ along the line when it comes to what this book preports that "WE" have complete control of everything in our lives.
There is no way that is true! I dont beleive God sets up in heaven and slings a sword of death at people. But, i do believe God controls everything clear down to ME and you. He already knows what your life will be, how you will live it and the trouble you will go through. I beleive he allows some things to happen, NOT for vengence, but out of LOVE for each of us.
Just as i beleive he has a PURPOSE for each person.
So, think about it christine, if we had COMPLETE and TOTAL control of our complete lives, and how much we had, and every material possession we wanted,, why would there be any need at all for GOD?
ecclesiastes 3 tells us about time, and there being a time for everything, and a sesaon for every thing under heaven.
And then it lists them all. There is time for all things, including season of hardship, death, reeping , mourning, dancing, embracing. All these have to do with the world we now live in, this earth.
And even through all these thing, we gain knowledge, understanding, compassion.
There is a quote, i cant remember who it is by, but it says, "A man can gain the World,but lose his soul". Love ya Nelly:)

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:04 pm

Christine,
On the last part of your statement, about your husband not wanting the house you do, lol
This is probably where our beleifs would part ways. My husband and i Discuss major decisions, we both have input. But the final decision is up to him....
Why? Because i beleive God made man the head of the house, spiritually. So, i follow the decision he makes, cause i know he always consults with God on decisions.
I know, it sounds clicque,, but thats the way we do things here....
So, good luck with your house... and remember, "A House divided will not stand" :) Nelly

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:26 am

well it has been a while since we have had this kind of discussion :eek:. can either of you not feel god and satan in your heads? do you hear your concious talking to you? do you know when god is telling you "this is not good"? do you hear the bad satan say "do it anyway"? it is that simple ;)jmo. yes i do believe we control our lives. yes, i believe listen and god will tell you. kp :D