Feel good books

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
Kami1095

Post by Kami1095 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:32 am

Sometimes I like to escape into a positive work of fiction. Especially during those times when I'm thinking too much for my own good. Here are a few that I really enjoyed and were hopeful and pleasant reads.

1. Garden spells- Sarah addison Allen. The characters are rich and the story is magical. the setting is beautiful and calming. Great all around.
2. Outlander- by Diana Gabaldon. This story does contain some sad moments, but dont let it sway you...it is a beautiful story filled with a one of a kind romance..but also chock full of everything else so you dont feel like you are reading a plain old mushy romance book. It is around 1942 and Claire is in Scotland with her husband Frank on vacation. Claire stumbles across an ancient stone portal and travels back to the 1700s to beautiful scotland.

3. Wesley the owl- Stacey O brien. Nonfiction nature book about a kooky wonderful owl. Reads great, you feel like you are reading a novel not a science book. it is hilarious and insightful and magnificent.

4. Dog days- jon katz- nonfiction nature book about bedlam farm and its dogs. well written, funny, insightful.

5. jane eyre by charlotte bronte.
6. pride and prejudice by jane austen.
7. the pleasure slave by gena showalter. girl working at antique shop is drawn to an antique jewelry box that she does not realize contains her own personal genie. if you like this try anything from gena's Atlantis series and/or The Stone Prince.
8. i havent read these yet but the "once upon a time" series look great. they are retellings of fairy tales like cinderella, beauty and the beast, rapunzel...etc. found in the teen section but reads at a mature enough level to not feel like you are reading a 12 year olds book.
"If you see the wonder of a fairytale, you can face the future even if you fail."

gf

Post by gf » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:20 pm

have u read the "Secret" or listen too the audio book? very inspirational, 4 one, and also brings u out of the haze A&D can cause...

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:32 am

Hi Kami:
Thank you for all these book titles! This is great.
I firmly believe that reading good fictional novels is one good way of relieving anxiety.
A friend of mine out in California discovered this for herself. She was delighted.
You gave a good list here. They all sound wonderful to me. I would be at the library now picking them up except that I have vision proglems now and cannot read like I used to.
But I hope others pick up on this. It is a very good idea.