Are there any Writers out there?

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
Lena Lenore

Post by Lena Lenore » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:14 pm

I've been trying to find the best place to post this and finally decided that this was it.

Well, I'm a writer (not so much professionally since I'm not able to make a living off it... yet), but I take my work seriously enough. My genre specialties are fantasy and sci-fi, but I've done a little of everything (including poetry). I just wanted to know how anxiety and depression has affected other writers, especially if they've ever encounted that dreaded peek known as writer's block.

For me, anxiety has affected my ability to stick to a writing schedule, as experts say is best. I never know when my anxiety or depression will come around so, to some degree, I have had to work around it. One of my biggest fears is that my anxiety will prevent me from finishing certain projects or will ruin my ability to write well. I worry so much about what anxiety may cause me to put down on paper. After my last big attack ended in early Sept., I felt that my writing would never be the same, as though the experience had sucked me dry of talent.
"God gave us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, courage to change the things we can, and wisdom to know the difference" [Serenity Prayer]

veritas_via_artis

Post by veritas_via_artis » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:04 pm

i write too. i think my anxiety, well more like my depression, has fueled alot of my writing. i dont stick to a schedule tho, i just write when i have something to write. it all usually sounds good, my writing, but most of it is about depressed feelings. i also was writing a fiction book. i write a little bit at a time, but i dont really have enouigh materials yet.
i write poetry as well and songs and just journal stuff that i might incorporate into a book someday. maybe u can post some of ur writing.
im on a sentimental journey, into sight and sound, of no return and no looking back or down, a conscientious objector to the war thats in my mind, leaving in the lurch and im takin back whats mine, im on a mission, into destination unknown, an expedition into desolation road, where im a castaway, going at it alone.

Lena Lenore

Post by Lena Lenore » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:30 pm

Sure, I'll post a little bit of my work. This is a poem inspired by some of my anxious feelings. I was trying to finish a chapbook for my class the day before it was due and this is one of the poems that became part of it. My family had said some upsetting things to me which brought memories of my lowest moments and made it difficult for me to concentrate. But this is proof that I ultimately did get back on track, completing the assignment and putting some negative feelings into constructive artwork. Hehe. Without further adu:

Leverage

Is it a grudge or presumption?
An error of judgement
Or vengeful consumption
That turns white walls red
rushes the blood to my head
"And whose fault is that?"

The blame is on me
But only in partial will I accept
That which you are not exempt
And for which I will not take full responsibility
over the projectiles I threw across the room
Yell and I will never let it be

I'm not going to stick around
if you're going to hold my past against me,
reminding me of a love that went conditionally
When you left me on the floor
Moist carpet under my face, the click of a door
that automatically locks behind
your retreating back Every time
I think that's the worst you could ever say.
"God gave us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, courage to change the things we can, and wisdom to know the difference" [Serenity Prayer]

veritas_via_artis

Post by veritas_via_artis » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:36 am

i like ur poem, it has good iambic pentameter. sound like the kind of stuff i write about.
im on a sentimental journey, into sight and sound, of no return and no looking back or down, a conscientious objector to the war thats in my mind, leaving in the lurch and im takin back whats mine, im on a mission, into destination unknown, an expedition into desolation road, where im a castaway, going at it alone.

Estella 007

Post by Estella 007 » Mon May 11, 2009 2:00 am

I have written on and off most of my life. When I was young, very young I would practice my autograph for book signing.

I knew I would be on the Johnny Carson show.

Most of what I write is non-fiction humor.

Give me a sentence and I can write a short story in no time.

I have journaled off and on, my husband would read my journals without permission and it completely turned me of from it. He would also tell me what I should write about.

I love to write and I will write and have a book published.

I have no training, quit school when I was fifteen, got me GED when I was 17, joined the Army when I was 18 to get an education. I got educated on where the closest bars were.

I did go to college on and off in between having children and grandchildren. I got my nursing degree when I was 48, which was six months ago.

I know all you asked are there any writers out there, yes. lol

*D*

Post by *D* » Mon May 11, 2009 1:02 pm

hi,
liked the poem that you wrote.makes me feel like I was in the room when the door closed.
estella,
did you ever think about publishing the work you did. there are places that will publish your book for free just a you write it and do not edit it.my first one I read it and found alot of mistakes lol.then i forgot that I had sent the wrong copy hee hee hee.oh well so I published it again.
you can read my profile and see where you can go to get it done.also you said something about the military. been there and done that as well.but did it for 15 years the drinking thing.it was the thing to do at that time.take care all and good luck in your writing and keep it up.
do not worry about typing the wrong thing.you can always go back and change it.be blessed .
don
p.s. yesterday on mothers day I pulled from a envelope a pad that my dear mother write years ago before she died.I will share it sometime.it made me know the hell that she went through at 15 pregnant and then her mother took me to raise as her own son when her son died.some sick people in the world.no wonder we all have had panic and the rest that goes with it.thanks for reading this

Gman5256

Post by Gman5256 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:36 am

Hi all,

I enjoyed the poem. Maybe you and others may want to join:

http://www.originalpoetry.com/index

Don, I thank you suggesting your profile for the info on getting published. Here's the direct link: http://i-proclaim.com/

Don is right. Journal and follow your threads on the forum, you never know; it could make for a good read.

I never fancied myself a writer or poet, but for some reason, since working this program, the Lord has inspired me to write over 30 poems, and 2 songs, and that is just since March 18, 2009.

I have thought of getting my work published, and now, that I have the link to i-proclaim, I have a real chance of getting my story, poems and songs published, and who knows; anything is possible.

I was never a good student of English, so I am sure people will wonder; who is this guy?

Lean Moore, perhaps your anxiety and or depression has made you think you have a writers block, and that is why I suggested the poetry site. Maybe if you can get back to your writing it will help you turn the tables on writers block issues.

I wish all the best.
All for His praise, glory and the joy it gives Him.

Hugs, In His Love >:D<

Gman9259
"He who dwells in the secret place of the most
high shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty"

Rob Dowell

Post by Rob Dowell » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:00 am

I'm a writer too. I was forced to retire for health reasons, and now I have all the time in the world to write and yet, my output is smaller than before! I have to work around my anxiety and depression too, because I'm still not sure why I was brought back from death. I'd like to share with you some lyrics from one of my songs: "All the Time in the World"

Phone calls we never made
Because we were still afraid
To say what we wanted to say
We always thought there'd be another day...
And all the time in the world.

And when our time runs out
It's only love we talk about
Bad times all forgotten now
(spoken:) I'll miss you so much..
we thought we had
(end) all the time in the world.

It feels so good to know all of you are out there. I don't feel alone anymore. I'm new to the program, and am doing the best I can. Bless all of you, you've helped me more than you know. rob.

Nells

Post by Nells » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:17 pm

There was a presence in my head
You can't do this, it always said;
My fear so overwhelmingly strong
Inside the thoughts I knew were wrong.

The stronger they grew, I could see
Losing who I used to be.
The shaking hands, not being able to swallow
Panic so strong, my insides were hollow.

I saw my old self shrinking away
A new person was arriving each day
Not someone I liked, or even knew
Where had "I" gone as the depression grew.

But a light I saw very thinly veiled
With the knowledge and tools I knew I
could prevail.

Steadfastly, and consistantly, I worked toward the goal To be Free and understand I was working toward a "NEW" me.

EddyJ

Post by EddyJ » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:49 pm

I am a writer/artist too. I dream of publishing my own graphic novels. I know the feeling of having to work around anxiety and depression. But I find that my writing and illustration helps me when I am feeling the feelings of anxiety/ depression. Instead of using my ideas to scare myself I use them to write or illustrate. The way it affects me though isn't always really in subject matter, but more my ability to finish something. Maybe I lose interest or maybe I'm just self-conscious about it. We are our own biggest critics haha. But I am working on that. I find that when I set goals like, I need to illustrate one page today I tend to stick to it. And it is very rewarding after. It helps to break it down in small parts.
" I feared I was going to lose control. I feel better now. Not because I regained control. But because I realized I never lost it in the first place."