THE SECRET

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
DolphinG

THE SECRET

Post by DolphinG » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:12 pm

This book is the real deal I was introduced to it a few years ago and me not beeing a reader never even opened the first page.
my doughter has the teen version of it and I started just glancing through it and right there and then it opened my eyes.
it is a replica of what session 3 talks about we bring in theese negative thoughts on our own without even knowing the damage it is doing to us,and like Lucinda says session 3 in the program is a main key to our recoverry she also suggests reading an inspirational book, i am shure there are millions of those books out there however I think THE SECRET is a great one to start.
Dolphin G

mcshope

Re: THE SECRET

Post by mcshope » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:42 pm

I watched the video... it is very interesting.
The only thing I didn't like was that they talk about positive thinking as a way to aquire wealth... I think that positive thinking goes far far beyond being wealthy. Making money is not the most important thing in life.
Anyway, besides that, I really liked "The Secret"

MirandaLey

Post by MirandaLey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:01 am

I'm about halfway through The Secret, I borrowed it from my mother-in-law. The message about positive thinking is great, but what I don't like is that The Secret wants us to expect that everything will be perfect for us! This goes against what we learn in Lesson 4. I also am uncomfortable with the way the authour uses verses from the New Testament (Matthew and Mark) where we are told by Jesus to pray and believe and we will get what we want. I definitely don't think God meant for us to "ask the Universe" for a new car or a big pile of money and we'd get it. Also, in the weight-loss section, it says that you are only "fat" because you are/have been "thinking fat thoughts". It actually claims that food doesn't make you fat, thinking does. I'm sorry, but you can think all the "skinny" thoughts you want -- if you sit on the couch all day eating Big Macs and Doritos, and don't exercise, you're going to be overweight!!

All in all, there are good things about it, but I feel it's really shady in a lot of ways! That's just my opinion though.

MirandaLey

Post by MirandaLey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:02 am

PLUS what I don't like, and what I think is actually quite a dangerous, negative way of thinking, is that the book teaches us to always want more -- instead of learning to be happy and accept what we have :).