When things fall apart - Pema Chodron

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
kaah

When things fall apart - Pema Chodron

Post by kaah » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:22 pm

When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times - Pema Chodron

This is a great, great book for anyone who has problems with anxiety. I read it once many years ago - before starting the program - and just picked it up again. The book echoes many of the themes addressed in this program. Pema Chodron is a buddhist nun, but you don't have to be a buddhist to benefit from her writing - I'm not! My favorite line so far - "... I had what seemed to me at the time an earth-shaking revelation that we cannot be in the present and run our story lines at the same time." I keep reminding myself that there is no plot line to my life. There is no next page to anticipate. For some reason this helps me stay in the present!

timmus0382

Re: When things fall apart - Pema Chodron

Post by timmus0382 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:01 pm

I like Pema Chodron, all of here stuff is extremly useful to me. She has such a relaxing voice too so if you can get any of her stuff on CD you might like that.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:37 pm

kaah wrote:When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times - Pema Chodron

This is a great, great book for anyone who has problems with anxiety. I read it once many years ago - before starting the program - and just picked it up again. The book echoes many of the themes addressed in this program. Pema Chodron is a buddhist nun, but you don't have to be a buddhist to benefit from her writing - I'm not! My favorite line so far - "... I had what seemed to me at the time an earth-shaking revelation that we cannot be in the present and run our story lines at the same time." I keep reminding myself that there is no plot line to my life. There is no next page to anticipate. For some reason this helps me stay in the present!
I just ordered this book online and should get the book in the mail shortly. I am trying to read a variety of
books written with different perspectives and I think this book would be a strong read.
Lynda

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sat May 05, 2012 7:05 pm

kaah wrote:When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times - Pema Chodron

dear kaah:

I agree that this book echoes many of the themes addressed in this program. Although I understand a lot of what the
book is trying to say, there is still some of the book that I just don't "get" because the book is so "deep" and
inspirational. I don't find it an easy book to read and I find that I must re-read some of the chapters just so that I get
the full benefit of that chapter. Here is an excerpt:

Whether we experience what happens to us as an obstacle and enemy or as a teacher and friend
depends on our perception of reality. It depends on our relationship with ourselves.

Lynda