How to Save Your Own Life by Michael Gates Gill

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
Jen007

How to Save Your Own Life by Michael Gates Gill

Post by Jen007 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:06 pm

I just started reading this very short book, but am quickly becoming fond of it. It has some very powerful quotes that I'd like to share below:

"When I was fired form my job and then diagnosed with a brain tumor, I thought my life was over. And I was right. My OLD life was over. But then a whole new and better life began. What I did not expect was that I could create a new life that would make me happier than ever...sometimes when the things we fear the most happen, loss can surprise us and give us a chance to find a whole new level of happiness."

"I had to come to see that there was a kind of joy in serving others that was not possible when you were trying to control others."

"I could not be worthy of her respect if I did not respect others. And that I had to learn to respect people not because of the way they looked or who they were, but BECAUSE they were."

"By sharing your problems with others who have encountered true suffering and survived, you will be able to move forward in a more positive way. And simply by taking the time to listen to the problems of others, you will help ease someone else's burdens." (I suppose that is what we are all doing here now.)

"I start the day by repeating a phrase found in the Bible: This is the day the Lord has made. Rejoice and be glad in it."

"...Virtually no songs or movies are about falling in love with the life you live. (but) You CAN fall in love with your life."

"While I can't control all these major external forces, I can take control of what affects me so deeply. I can listen to my heart and respond to its needs. ...Being in touch with your heart rather than trying to follow your head is the true guide to a happy life."

And a quote from Ralf Waldo Emerson, "A man is what he thinks about all day."

Anyway, just a little food for thought. :) Take care.

Lola2007

Re: How to Save Your Own Life by Michael Gates Gill

Post by Lola2007 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:10 pm

LOVED all of those and thanks for sharing them!!