Great CBT starter book from sufferer POV

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:37 am

My CBT group started with the book Been There, Done That? DO THIS! by Sam Obitz with Michelle Craske PHD the leading researcher in the USA on panic disorder at UCLA. It is a real simple easy to read book that takes you through the authors struggles with Anxiety and Depression. The tone of the book is straight forward and very encouraging. It focusses on the TEA form thought countering exercise which is at the heart of CBT treatment. We also used the book by David Burns Feeling Good which is very good but much more clinical and a bit harder to get through. I credit this book with giving me the confidence to stick with the exercises even though my group is over and I am continuing to make further strides in keeping my anxieties to a minimum and have not had any panic attacks since early on in my group.

klandsb

Post by klandsb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:18 pm

Hello. Would you happan to know if these books are available on Audio CD...I listen to Lucindas tapes on the way to work and her voice seems to calm me down if I am having a hard time..Mornings seem to be my worst time of the day..I drive a little over an hour to work and it helps pass the time ...Thanks for the tips on good books..

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:47 pm

I don't think it is and it is a real short book and I think most audio books are long right? The book has it's own website and they may have more info there but I don't remember seeing an audio option. I hope I'm wrong though :)

iceman

Post by iceman » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:46 pm

I haven't read the Burns book, but I have read the Obitz book. Ironically I was looking for an audio CD of the Obitz book but they didn't have one (at least last year).

But it really goes into nice detail regarding CBT and is a worthy read.

WW

Post by WW » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:17 pm

My old therapist recommended this book to me about a year ago but I never picked up a copy. Maybe I should have after reading your positive note on it. I no longer have the website that you order it through, would you mind sharing it with me? Thanks.

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:27 am

No problem. I got my copy at <A HREF="http://www.tao3.com" TARGET=_blank>www.tao3.com</A> which is the book's homepage so you can read more about it including the book's foreword there also. I hope you find it as helpful as it has been for me.

WW

Post by WW » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:22 pm

Well I ordered it and it came last week and it is really encouraging to hear his story and suggestions. I have started doing the tea form exercise and it is tough to come up with the last column answers but I think I am starting to get the hang of it. Just identifying my thinking errors alone is helping me right now. I'm more excited about being able to get better than I have been in a couple of years because I identified with a lot of what he went through. Please give me any additional advice you have to accellerate my progress if you get a chance. I will come back and let you know how I am doing in another week or two. Thank you again Chrissy!

Malika

Post by Malika » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:32 pm

Cool to see others like this book like I did. I heard about it at a NAMI conference a couple of years ago and bought a copy. The TEA's are something I use still use to alleviate my stress and anxiety. Since English is not my first language I also very much appreciate how short and simple this book was to absorb.

WW

Post by WW » Fri May 04, 2007 8:11 am

Chrissy or malika, I am getting much better at filling in the last column but seem to be stuck on coming up with new and deeper thoughts to counter so any suggestions would be helpful. I tend to keep countering the same or similar thoughts everyday. Is that bad? I am feeling a bit better already so I must be doing something right I think? Thanks for any advice you can give to me.

WW

Post by WW » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:59 am

Chrissy are you still around? I tried posting a note to you a couple of weeks ago on the triumph board but never heard back from you. I hope everything is okay with you. I wanted to let you know I have continued to take your advice and been focusing on the tea forms (I am getting pretty good at using them now) and I have made even greater strides than I ever thought possible the last few months. Even though I didn't get the book when my therapist recommended it to me, I am glad I have it now so thanks again and I would love to hear how you are doing and how life is going for you? Thanks.