What to Say When You Talk To Yourself

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
cindylou

Post by cindylou » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:54 pm

Just finished reading What To Say When You Talk To Yourselfby Shad Helmstetter.
I think it's been mentioned on here before, but not sure.
Anyway, what an excellent adjunct to lesson #3.
Tremendous help with positive self talk and changing those negatives to positives!!!
Great book to supplement the program or to read after as reinforcement!
God bless and hugs to all.

Holly J

Post by Holly J » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:19 pm

i'll check it out
"Come to me, all who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)"

Glass

Post by Glass » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:47 am

I read this book about when I was on lession 4. I believe that it is a wonderfull book. I know that I will read this book more than just that one time. This book is a life skill lession in itself that I recomend to everyone. I am impressed.

Glen

Heatherbythesea

Post by Heatherbythesea » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:27 pm

Thanks! I put it on hold at the library. This author also has neat looking tapes and cds to listen to as well!

Healing In Process

Post by Healing In Process » Tue May 15, 2007 5:41 am

Hi! I bought the book last night. Wow is all I can say.
Keep on, keeping on...

catrisch

Post by catrisch » Fri May 18, 2007 2:44 am

I need some help here. Most of my anxiety is my negative thoughts. Like, what if I died? what if my husband died? could I go on? could he go on? A lot of times, I continously think those thoughts until I get myself into a depression b/c I cannot handle to even think about them. Is there anything I can read pertaining to those types of thoughts? I am hoping someone out there has those same thoughts and can help me.

Celeste1

Post by Celeste1 » Fri May 18, 2007 6:55 am

Hi Catrisch
I have these same thoughts. When I was young, I used to have these thoughts about my parents, then when my children were born, I used to think the same thoughts about them. Now that I'm married, I think about what I'd do if my husband died or what he and my kids would do if I died. I was so bad that I'd beg my husband to stay home so he wouldn't get into an accident on the way to work or I'd keep my daughter home from school "just in case" some disaster happened at school that day. I know how these thoughts can affect you. The only thing that helped me was an antidepressant. Paxil worked wonders at the time but then I thought I could do without it and I stopped taking it. The withdrawl was pretty bad so I never restarted it and the thoughts came back after a few months. They say therapy can help but after a while, I stopped obsessing as much about it. I now worry about my health. You know, a headache is a brain tumor, sore throat is throat cancer, diarreah means colon cancer and so on. I'm taking Lexapro for that and it seems to be helping. I guess after all is said and done, our minds are just wired differently. We just need to learn to rewire them. Good luck to you!

Celeste

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
Jesus Christ
Matthew 6:27

Lilly_Light

Post by Lilly_Light » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:22 am

I enjoyed this book so much that I purchased a copy of it, and I'm now reading his additions because I am planning to make my own self-talk tapes. The other books are: "The Self Talk Solution" and "Choices: Discover Your 100 Most Important Life Choices." The first is for someone who wants to learn how to really put the ideas in his first book into action; the second, in my opinion, is not quite as good as the first two, but might be worth a read.

GirlWisdom

Post by GirlWisdom » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:22 pm

I have a few of Shad Helmstetter's books and they are all wonderful. They make so much sense. I also have all of his discs as well. There is one for every area of life. His web-site is excellent as well. I forget the name of it, but I will get back with that! I hope I spelled his last name correctly. "What To Say When You Talk To Yourself" is an awsome book indeed.
'Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.'

anmlluver

Post by anmlluver » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:39 am

I have a really great book for all of you to check out . It is called Battle field of the mind by Joyce Meyer. It talks about how our thoughts can create so much of our troubles and how to change that. I hope that this book helps some one . I thought that it was a really great book.