Fiction helped me-Twilight

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:27 am

I always read self help books. But recently I decided to read a fiction series that is quite popular after the girls I work with kept taling about it. It was the Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer. I felt better while I was reading those books than I had in years. They got my mind off me and were a great escape. Even my husband noticed the difference in me.

Reading books on psychology can be useful, but so can a good escape!
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:05 am

Is the Twilight series good? I have the first two of the books of the series but I have not started reading them yet. I am like you I have a lot of self help books.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:00 am

My daughter read all the Twilight books and loved them. She just bought another by Stephanie Meyer called "The Host" and is about done with it. She said in that one the characters have the same characteristics as the Twilight characters.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:37 am

I listened to the first book in the series on my 30 minute drive back and forth to work everyday. Although I thought the book was good I really wasn't interested in listening to another 5 or 6 books about teenage love. Just my opinion.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:42 am

I always tend to have self help or spiritual books to help my anxiety, but reading fiction sounds like such a nice change. I dont know why I never thought of that but thanks so much for the idea of a great escape!! Misty

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:41 am

It's funny because now that Christmas is over I decided to read, "Skipping Christmas" from John Grisham. It is so great to read fiction and there were a bunch of times where I just smiled or laughed out loud. So funny!

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:18 am

I am a young adult librarian and no book, not even the Harry Potter series was so enduringly popular as the Twilight series. This book was as equally popular with adults AND teens! Even though the series is nearing two years old I still have trouble keeping them on the shelves!

I tend to read alot of self help trying to conquer this dang anxiety but... I've GOT to have my fiction fix... I'm a total addict. Its such a wonderful escape and I get to travel to all the places I can't go right now.

Check out the young adult section in your library. There are some really good books back there! Read any Jodi Picoult books, the House of Night series (another rather romantic vamp series) The Pellinor series, The Green Rider series... oh theres a ton of them.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Another series I've been reading is the Outlander Series. Great adventure stories and a good escape from my overactive brain.

Reading fiction is still the best distraction from my anxiety. Even my husband says that the difference in me since I've been reading fiction is huge. It has saved me.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:05 pm

Yeah! I love Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, too! Another kick I've been on lately is Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series (werewolves, vampires, and faerie), and Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments saga (City of Bones, etc. - demon hunters). And my faves are probably Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan saga (starts with Cordelia's Honor - took the Hugo and Nebula awards that year).

Funny how I'm so fear-bound, and adore books with such fearless heroines in them. :cool: