Has Anyone Read: I'm OK, You're OK?

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
sturgesscribe

Post by sturgesscribe » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:54 am

NO I HAVE NEVER READ IT, BUT CAN YOU ALL GIVE ME THE TITLES AND AUTHORS NAME AND I WILL GET TO READING. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GLADLY APPRECIAITED. THANKS. DO YOU GUYS KNOW THAT EVEN KNOW WITH NOONE AROUND. I FEEL LIKE EVERYONE THINKING" SHE'S WEIRD"

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:24 am

Feeling Good by David Burns is a really excellent cognitive therapy book. I think he was one of the first to come out with this type of therapy and my book is so old it is now starting to fall apart because I have referred to it so much!

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:29 am

Hi, Mary.

Thanks for the tip :-). I went through Cog-Behav. Group Therapy for my depression/anxiety a few years ago, and I really enjoyed it and reaped a lot of rewards from it. I especially enjoyed the group setting atmosphere, as I have some social anxiety. It helped me to feel a lot more connected, and I would like to get back into a group setting again.

I have finished reading "The Four Agreements" and I'm now reading "The Disease to Please" by Harriet B. Braiker. My score on the in-book quizzes is actually in the healthy range in terms of my need to please others (which has dissipated quite a bit over the past few years, even though I'm only 28 years old *LOL*). Some of the statements on these quizzes seemed far too extreme, and I have never really taken much to the extreme, so they didn't resonate with me. I think the book, itself, is terrific. It hones in on the crux issues of those of us who deal with this.

Lilly_Light

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:37 am

Originally posted by rosalinda:
NO I HAVE NEVER READ IT, BUT CAN YOU ALL GIVE ME THE TITLES AND AUTHORS NAME AND I WILL GET TO READING. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GLADLY APPRECIAITED. THANKS. DO YOU GUYS KNOW THAT EVEN KNOW WITH NOONE AROUND. I FEEL LIKE EVERYONE THINKING" SHE'S WEIRD"
Hi, Rosalinda :-).

The name of the book is "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel. It's an interesting book. I actually plan to buy a copy of it.

You mention that you hear negative statements in your head even when you know that nobody could be saying them. I "hear" those sometimes, too. It's actually lessened as I have become more assertive and less anxious. I have been told that some people who are severely depressed/socially anxious experience this, so please don't freak out about it, but do talk with your doctor about it to make sure that it isn't something else, as I'm not a doctor. As you work through your anxiety and depression, it should lessen and, hopefully, disappear...I'm still working on mine :-).

Lilly_Light
Last edited by Lilly_Light on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:48 am

Originally posted by Davidman:
By the way, Lilly Light, reading too much is something that I, too, do. I've been listing the books I read for more than 30 years now (Is that an indication of an OCD tendency?) and the list is well over a thousand books. I simply love to read; I'm so willing to lose myself in another's thoughts.
I have always loved to read :-). I remember picking up my much older brother's novel when I was only 5 or 6 years old, determined to read it because he seemed to like it so much. I went to my mom, and asked her what all the big words were, until I grew frustrated because I couldn't "do it all by myself" *LOL*. I was a funny little person :-).

I also like to make lists (just look at all my stickies and notes). You've read 1,000 books? Wow! I will probably have read that many, too *grinz*. I also like to get other's perspectives on things so that I can broaden my own.

Lilly_Light
Last edited by Lilly_Light on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.