David Burns

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
RD terriers

Post by RD terriers » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:55 pm

I recommend anything by David Burns!

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:00 pm

Me too. I read his books years ago and still have them to refer to. They are a great adjunct to this program.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:23 am

I read 2 of David Burns' books years ago when I had panic attacks and alot of physical reactions. They were quite helpful and I have referred to them over the years from time to time. The info in this program seems quite similar to Burns' info(I'm up to section 4) the negative self talk, labeling, catastrophizing, and fortune telling,etc. But even though they seem to have helped alleviate alot of the physical symptoms I still lack self confidence and self comfort. That's a reason I'm trying this program. But if this program is just re-iterating what's in Burns' books I could sure use to save the $600 or so. Has anyone read Burns' books and also completed this program that can say if there is much of a difference in the info other than the medium of delivery?

DMP720

Post by DMP720 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:06 am

I've completed the program and also studied David Burn's theories and books. I felt this program went beyond the basic concept of thought replacement and taught life skills thru the assignments and workbooks. It helped me more with making needed changes and seeing my resistance to these changes. Recognizing what my distorted thoughts were and changing them was immensely helpful, but the practical application of the assignments in the program is what got me to make some really big changes. The basic concept of thought replacement is similar and the medium of delivery is different, but I felt the program added necessary life skills and how to apply them.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:04 pm

"Feeling Good" is a great book to read. It speaks plainly to you in language the average person can understand. I highly recommend it! "Feeling Good" is a good companion book for the Attacking Anxiety program.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:39 pm

Just thought I would pass on a little book that I have been reading. It's called "Believing in Myself" by Earnie Larsen & Carol Hegarty. It's daily meditations for healing and building self esteem.