The Last Lecture

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
sleeplessMom

Post by sleeplessMom » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:51 pm

Everyone is talking about the Last Lecture, and I checked it out of the library. I am having a mild growth spurt of sorts, and I am worried this book will make me feel more anxious and depressed rather than uplifted. I know it is supposed to be about living life in the moment and making the most of it, but I'm worried I will be too sad thinking how terrible that man is going to die and leave his 3 kids behind. Has anyone read it? What was your reaction?

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:28 pm

This may not be the best time to read the Last Lecture. I have read it and seen him tell his story a few times. He was on Oprah not long ago. His primary message is to not live your life in fear. Go for your dreams, do not be afraid to experiment and make mistakes. Our best successes come from trial and error.

One strategy for anxious and depressed people is to stay away from sad stories. We don't anyone to tell us that there are bad things happening in the world, we already know that. We need to fill our thoughts with inspiring, hopeful, creative, funny stories.

You have to decide if you have a habit of picking out things to worry about. If you do, then reading this story will only give your mind an excuse to worry. And you will be worrying about someone you do not even know instead of living your own life around people you do know.
Mitzy

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:12 am

Thanks for your input, Mitzy. It may be better for me to read it at a later time...I guess there is no rush. I read the two page introduction and it did stress me out a little. Have a good day,
formerly SleeplessMom

Carolyn Dickman

Post by Carolyn Dickman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:36 am

NOT a good book to read if you are anxious and depressed at this time. I would wait until you finish the program and feel strong. Dealing with anxiety and depression are enough, do not add reading someone elses sad story right now. Read positive uplifting books.

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:38 am

i agree.

i did read it while dealing with anxiety.

i did read it after watching the ABC Primetime show, however.

At the time I watched the show, I was like Lucinda...scared to live AND scared to die. It haunted me constantly.

Thankfully, by the grace of God I am in a place now where those fears have subsided or been eliminated.

The book and the show do talk extensively about a living a meaningful life by someone who was facing terminal cancer. his message and spirit in the face of such suffering is truly the gift of the story.

i would read this when you are good and ready.