The Secret

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:49 am

What these authors have done is stolen ideas from authors from the past and fictinalized it for people of today. Some of this stuff was written in the early 1900 but it's more realistic. Anyway on that note look at my latest post called "Serenity" I have put a list of authors there which include modern ones as well.

The Earth Dirt Story, Lesson in Faith By Dr. Marcus Bach

(Excerpted from a lecture given at a Spiritual Frontiers Fellowship retreat in Charlotte, NC, 8/23/74.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife and I have a cabin here in North Carolina, which I am returning to this evening.

A year ago, we ordered a load of dirt, to be delivered and poured on a certain side of a retaining wall near the cabin.

When we arrived at the cabin, the man delivering the dirt had poured it on the wrong side of the wall. I was kind of annoyed at this, but my wife was more annoyed and she was bugging me to go out and move that truckload of dirt with a shovel. I do not know if you have ever tried that or not, but it had been raining about 30-days before we came, which complicated the situation.

A few days later, in obedience to her nudging and threats, I put on my rain slicker and hat, got the shovel from my workshop and I went out and I dug into this dirt. In fact, a hippie friend said, "Don’t call it dirt, call it earth." Beautiful.

So I went out and I attacked this earth-dirt. I had put a couple of shovel fulls on the other side of the wall and, well, you know how heavy it is and the kind of work it is. I like to exercise, but not work!

So, I stood there in the rain and I said to myself, "Marcus, you have been researching religion for thirty years. You talk about it a good deal. You think you know something about it. Once upon a time there was a man who said if you have the faith of a mustard seed you could remove mountains. And you can’t even remove this hill of dirt?"

And so thinking this, I said, "Thank you, Father, and I went into the house."

I put down the shovel, went into the house where my wife had the fireplace lit and she said, "That didn’t take you long."

I said, "It sure didn’t."

She looked out through the window, "Wait a minute, it’s still there!"

"No, it isn’t."

She said, "But it is still there, I can see it!"

"Not through my eyes."

You must believe this. This was in the morning. In the afternoon, a man came walking down the path in the rain to our front door.

He introduced himself; "I am the new road repair foreman up here. We brought a piece of machinery that we do not want to leave up on the road over the weekend. Could we park it down here on your place?"

"What kind of machinery is it?" I asked.

"It is earth moving machinery."

I said, "Bring it down! However, there will be a slight charge."

"What do you mean?"

"See that load of dirt?" I pointed it out to him.

"Where do you want it?" he quickly replied.

"On the other side of that wall."

"No problem," he said.

He came down and in ten minutes had moved the pile of earth-dirt to the other side of the wall, beautifully done.

When he was done, we invited him in for a drink . . .of herb tea.

As we sat in front of the fireplace, I will never forget how my wife looked out the window and said, "I see it now."

I guess there is something like that that has to happen to us. And there are things like that that do happen to us. We realize that all roads that lead to God are good. It is not happening out there, it is happening within you and within me.

© 1974 Dr. Marcus Bach

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:45 am

I loved the Earth Dirt Story. :) That was great! I think the prciplines behind the secrect are as old as time too. I don't know that I agree that it is fictionalized as much as it is geared more towards todays material world. That seems to catch peoples attention. I think the authur herself had visions of cashing in,lol, however, each speaker within that book has a world of knowledge of there own to share. I have read many of their books. I also believe that Jesus was a teacher of this very same concept. I think he was misunderstood in his purpose. IMO only..cause that a whole other subject..a touchy one at that. ;)

I live my life by the principles of these teaching myself. Sometimes it takes reflection to find the truth in it.

I went on vacation to Disneyland last week. I had some reservations about going. Son has had some medical issues and I felt a little leary about venturing out too far. On the way up, we found ourselves trapped in our car and traffic due to a mountain fire. Trapped..humm..I so thought this would happen. lol I loath mold! My son has asthma. Needless to say, it would be an unexceptable situation for us. Our motel room was FULL of mold. :eek: The manager was kind enough to offer us a suit 3x's the size of what we paid for. That was my expections. :p What I thought would of been a fair trade off. ;) My son was in rare form at park and refused to stand in the hr long lines..some employee walked up to us out of no where and offered us badges to bypass all of the lines. WOW!! THANK U!!! :p The second day there I had a melt down and wanted to leave. Son acting up, too hot and way too crowed. A man pulled up to us with a cinderella coach and said, "it's too hot and crowed for you folks to be walking..hop in". No extra cost and what a treat! We had to leave the park early that night due to my son's behavior, missing the fireworks. When we got back to our suite, we realized we had front row seats for the show on our balcony. Better then had we stayed. :) My biggest reservation about going up was what if?? What if my son (6) has some medical issue and we're this far from home? He awoke to hives in middle of night. I jumped in car and drove around looking for a open store with benedryl. No one spoke a lick of english, nothing was open, and I felt paniced. I so saw this coming...I thought. :roll: Needless to say, we packed up early and came home.

In reflection, I can see where God, life and the universe were throwing us a bone. I couldn't change my sons expectations, but I believe mine were met. The good and bad. :)

Christine

samcat

Post by samcat » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:44 am

Yes I agree with most of you stated but not sure if Jesus was misunderstood or not. I guess it depends which side you were on. Roman, Jewish or Christian?

Disney YUK hate waiting in line for anything especially 1hr or more for a five minute ride. Our the cost of eating and when it's hot the stupid spray fan gismos.

The secret I chose not to believe it in the sense you can't think of money and it will come.

A goal with a sound plan is more like it.

I enjoyed the earth story as well you may be interest in the site where it came from.

<A HREF="http://normanvincentpeale.wwwhubs.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://normanvincentpeale.wwwhubs.com/</A>

If you scroll down to the bottom you find other interesting authors and samples of their books.

Cheers

Kay81

Post by Kay81 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:03 am

The Secret opened my eyes to possiblities and the courage to put into motion those ideas. I found I can have excitement which I felt as anxiety. It inspires me to do something to change my life as I see it. I hope that it will do the same for you.

angela chriss

Post by angela chriss » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:24 am

Anything to get you moving to your goal is good.

You should read the books prior to the secret to see where all this came from.

When you do you will see it's an old concept but at least it was written with more fact than fiction. Also those authors are more well written and credible.

Reminds me of you to can buy real estate like me and than you see this oriental man on a boat full of women.

Or this magical diet will help you lose weight.

DO MORE EAT LESS! There my plan exercise!
:D
Glad it gave you hope and that's good.
"when u know better, u do better"

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:23 pm

The principals behind "the Secret" are pretty old, It is funny, my VERY insightful therapist has been telling me this for over 10 years-she didnt call it the secret, she called it the law of attraction..The new secret can only be good, though because it has been brought to the masses so if the masses are trying to think positively there is a lot more positive energy flying around than there was pre-secret! I too thought that there was alot of emphasis on material things, but I chose to look at it my way- A friend recommended "down the rabbit hole" which was the same idea, just made so that any person who wasnt a rocket scientist couldnt understand it! So I guess since most people can relate to bills, and worrying about how to pay them, Rhonda Byrne had the most popular way to get it out to a broad audience!

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:02 am

A client gave me the DVD of The Secret and another friend wrote a book called Vibration and Reflection which are the same principles as The Secret--hopefully, more people will think positively now!

Mom of 6

Post by Mom of 6 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:13 am

Nothing wrong with thinking positive if fact I recommend it. However, I don't buy into if you think it it will magically appear at your door.

Goals and proper planning with positive atitude and hard work is more like it.
"O God, you are my God. Earnestly I seek you;my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is BETTER than life,my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name, I will lift up my hands." Psalms 63

sandy krahn

Post by sandy krahn » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:43 am

Agreed, King V., but thinking positively has changed my life so much for the better. I think the principles in these type of books and philosophies, as well as the Combatting Stress and Depression Program program, are very helpful. I used to be such a negative thinker--no wonder I had so many problems, physical and emotional.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:24 pm

I agree Tigerlady it gave e hope to think in a positive manner will get me out of of this rut that i've been in for so long. only if more people would think this way the world would be abetter place