Down Came the Rain

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
Karmerri

Post by Karmerri » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:59 am

I know the program doesn't really talk about postpartum depression, but I did have postpartum depression after my daughter was born (she just turned 4). Even though I am fine now and that horrible time seems like ages ago, I just picked up the book by Brooke Shields "Down Came the Rain" and I think its a really great book! Personally, I wish I read it when I was pregnant. The interesting thing is Brooke is type A personality, had incredible expectations about herself, her life with the baby, her father had just died, etc. etc.. So, really, the types of things the program does touch upon. I think it was a great book about a very important topic that REALLY needs to be brought more out in the open.

~Lovinglife~

Post by ~Lovinglife~ » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:06 am

I too read that book. I stumbled upon it at the Dollar Tree this past month. What a find! :) At first I thought I would not have an interest in it as I never suffered PPD. I did suffer depression and found I related very well to her story. It doesn't matter how you get there, the experience is all the same. I loved the book and would recommend it to anyone and everyone here. I think having a type A personality was a portion of the reason she found herself in that situation. Expectations of ourself is what leads us down this path. You see it in her story. I very much enjoyed this book and feel better for having read it.

Karmerri

Post by Karmerri » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:31 am

Lovinglife

Mine was a great find too--Bargin Books @ the supermarket! How you stated that the experience is all the same is actually what I was thinking when I posted that. She experienced panic and obsessive scary thoughts and negative feelings like we all feel. Hers (and mine) just manifested and blew up after having a baby! The guilt I had that time was tremendous and it was so comforting to know you're never alone...somebody out there at one time or another has been there and felt the same thing.