Has anyone read about Saint Teresa of Avila? (translated by Mirabai Starr)

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
MichelleP

Post by MichelleP » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:47 am

I know this is a religious topic, but I've been reading about this great saint and mystic. I just can tell that she had bouts of anxiety and has talked about keeping her "thoughts" in check. This is something I think is worth the illumination as well as the inspiration and motivation during those very anxious and depressing moments in our lives. I cannot put this book down!!!

One of my favorite scripture verses is from Phillippians 4:8, 9
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.9 Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me. Then the God of peace will be with you.

This verse has done wonders for me, and I'm sure it was one of help to Teresa, too! Teresa of Avila is someone I would have liked to have a conversation with!

Anyone else? :)
Michelle P

bevhembree

Post by bevhembree » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:23 am

I was raised Catholic and know a little about the saints. St. Teresa's life is so inspiring in that she endured so many struggles like losing her mother at a young age, running away from home against her father's will to join the convent, almost dying at age 18. She went through mediocere (sp?) times in her prayer life as a nun. I can surely relate there.
Are you reading her autobiography about the four stages of prayer where she uses water and rivers as examples? She is truly an inspiration to us all and the patron saint of headache suffers and those in pain. Beverly
"Here and happy because of my three little angels- Marie, Chad and Cady."

fischee

Post by fischee » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:49 pm

How very interesting. I'm not Catholic, nor have I heard of this book, but I genuinely KNOW it's been my faith that has sustained me through especially difficult times (especially the past few months). Looking back, I can completely see God's hand in all the trials and tribulations I've endured.

Max Lucado's books have been especially inspirational a for me. I'm currently reading A Gentle Thunder and In the Eye of the Storm, but my favorite is Traveling Light. Lucado takes Psalms 23 and breaks each line down into a chapter. For example, the chapter "It's a Jungle Out There- The Burden of Hopelessness"; is based on "He restores my soul" I've read this several times over, and it gives me great peace. He also has an excellent daily devotional called Grace for the Moment. It's a wonderful way to end the day before going to bed.

Blessings to you both.

Hey, does anyone know the verse that talks about the joy of the morning follows the tears of the night?

MichelleP

Post by MichelleP » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:13 pm

I am reading the four stages of water, etc. Yes, and I cannot put the book down! I am in awe of her and the way she writes!!! Just love this!

I do like Max Lucado as well. But I have found to really be inspired by St. Teresa - this might be a good book for anyone needing a boost!

Thanks for your comments!
Michelle P

fischee

Post by fischee » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:16 pm

I'm very interested. What is the title and author of this book?
Fischee

bevhembree

Post by bevhembree » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:21 pm

"Tears may come in the night, but joy flows in the morning." Psalm 30:5
"Here and happy because of my three little angels- Marie, Chad and Cady."

MichelleP

Post by MichelleP » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:40 pm

The title of the book is
Teresa of Avila, The book of my life
Author/Translated by Mirabai Starr

tonya bunch

Post by tonya bunch » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:51 pm

speaking of books; has anyone heard of the book named "The Five People You Meet in Heaven".?

fischee

Post by fischee » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:15 pm

Yes, I read The Five People...last year. It's a quick, easy read and quite interesting how the author (Mitch A-(?) also wrote Tuesday's with Morrie) ties all five of the character's lives together. It really magnifies how each of us has an impact on others.

Thanks to bevhembree for the quote- that was driving me nuts! And, Michelle, I'm going to look into Teresa of Avila.

Peace to everyone,
fischee

runswithalab

Post by runswithalab » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:59 pm

Thanks for the reading suggestions. I am definitely going to check these out. I'm encouraged just by hearing about them.