Been There? Done That? DO THIS! by Sam Obitz

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
JudyR

Post by JudyR » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:26 pm

Is the best book I have read on overcoming anxiety. We used this book in my cbt group and the tea forms in it are the best tool I have learned (so far) to help me deal with my anxieties. The author shares his story and simplifies the essential exercises for getting over anxiety and depression.

fischee

Post by fischee » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:40 pm

Is Been There, Done That, Try This the title? Do you know the author?

fischee

Post by fischee » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:42 pm

Forget it... I just read the title of your post. Clearly I'm tired and need to catch some z's. :?

WW

Post by WW » Fri May 02, 2008 7:13 am

JudyR this is the book that helped me. I do the TEA form exercise daily! Just so you know there is another thread on here already about this book if you want to check it out here's the link:
<A HREF="http://bbs.stresscenter.com/eve/forums/ ... 025072/p/1" TARGET=_blank>http://bbs.stresscenter.com/eve/forums/ ... 072/p/1</A>

Take care and I am glad it is working for you too!

Debmarie

Post by Debmarie » Tue May 27, 2008 7:56 am

This is my first time visiting the site (to check it out for a friend who has bad anxiety) and I was excited to see that there was a post at the top about this book that turned my life around. I was referred to it by a neighbor who is a psychologist four years ago and using the TEA forms has changed my life. I no longer fret over every little thing and I used to go to the doctor at least once a month and the past couple of years I have only gone in for my annual physical. My life is so much more full now and the TEA forms have become part of my daily routine. All the early hard work on them comes back to you and my family has benefitted also. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is willing to work on getting themselves better :)

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Tue May 27, 2008 6:34 pm

The book is very good. David Burns' book (Feeling Good) goes into these exercises more extensibly if anyone is interested. It's more detailed and goes into the distorted thoughts and exercises in depth.

Julene G.

Post by Julene G. » Thu May 29, 2008 4:25 pm

If you suffer from depression I recommend a book by Paul Gilbet (2nd edition) called "Overcoming Depression". On the flip side: If you just want to escape & have a good laugh, read the book by Chelsea Handler "Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea". (on the bestseller list right now) Her stories are hilariuos, I'm half way thrugh the book right now. Sometimes laughing is good therapy! I took yesterday off the program & started reading this book & I felt so much better when I woke-up this morning. Yesterday I felt like crap most of the day, it was hard to get out of bed & go to work. Life gets too serious most of the time! I'm learning to laugh more! All of us need to laugh more, it's very critcal to our recovery!!!

MargieP

Post by MargieP » Sat May 31, 2008 12:22 pm

I read and loved this book in the cbt group I joined after I did Lucinda's program and the TEA forms really are simple and effective and helped me get over the top of my anxiety probs. I liked the tone and simplicity of the book too, the author was a long time sufferer of anxiety like Lucinda and was easy to relate to. I have been med free for over four years now and feeling better all the time. A must read for anyone who wants to take control of their anxiety and life and get off their meds.

MargieP

Post by MargieP » Sat May 31, 2008 12:23 pm

P.S. I have not read the Burns book but it is recommended as an additional resource in the back of Obitz's book.

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:09 pm

I started a similar thread about this book some time ago. In fact it is the one that is linked in WW's reply above. We used both this book and the one mentioned by Mary Wargo by David Burns in my group and both are excellent and really complimentary to each other. I highly recommend both of them.