THe book "Feeling Good"

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
Tryinhard

Post by Tryinhard » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:47 am

My shrink told me about this book when I asked him about which book I should read about depression.I have heard very good reviews about it. I believe its very similiar to this program in terms of the writing negative->positive dialogue. Anyone else read this book? I can't wait to get it in the mail.

faithandhope

Post by faithandhope » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:58 am

Hi Tryin,
I haven't heard of it but I'm curious to check it out. You will have to let us know what you think. The negative to positive thoughts is a tricky thing to master.
Thanks!!
Faith

momurph

Post by momurph » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:44 am

I have the Feeling Good book, and refer to it often as a reference for things. It is a great book, but I have never been able to get through the whole thing (that's just me -- I get distracted, procrastinate, etc.) I like the fact that it is like a workbook and a "textbook" in one -- he has you do exercises in each chapter which really helps solidify things.

The writing is also very easy to read and understand. It offers a wealth of information on many topics including medications, their side effects, certain illnesses, procrastination, depression, anxiety, etc.

There are a lot of charts and easy-to-understand graphs, etc. I think you'll really enjoy it. It is a mainstay in my bookshelf, but I still need to pull it out and do some of the exercises again -- I seem to forget so quickly.

Enjoy it! You made a good buy!
Maureen

Chaddy

Post by Chaddy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:29 am

Yes - when I sought professional help about ten years ago my therapist had me purchase this book. I think her intent was for me to use the book as my homework, to learn about CBT and how to apply it. As momurph says, it is a good book, very detailed, but difficult to stick with; excellent reference, though.

At the time I was too depressed to really stick with it (kinda like I am now with this program). It seemed very scholastic to me, like a college textbook - same basic ideas as the StressCenter.com program (CBT, self-talk, etc). However I think the StressCenter.com program is much more "human friendly" and therefore better tolerated by its participants = more likely to stick with it and succeed.

faithandhope

Post by faithandhope » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:03 am

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for your input. It is always nice to hear what others think!
Faith

WW

Post by WW » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:27 pm

Great book but like someone already said best when used as an additional resource because it is long and dry/technical and not real reader friendly.