A New Earth or The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
TrinityMN

Post by TrinityMN » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:12 am

Hi,

I've read all of 'The Power of Now' and it's a great motivational/inspirational book. I'm now reading 'A New Earth' and finding peace with it. I would strongly recommend these books to anyone. :)

martell

Post by martell » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:37 am

Hi Trinity
I just started reading A New Earth also after watching a recent Oprah show and hearing so many people talking about it and finding such peace--from a woman with terminal cancer in Canada to a soldier in Baghdad. Can't wait to finish it. Keep in touch!

Boon

Post by Boon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:02 am

Excellent reads by Eckhart Tolle. Another is Embracing the Present by Leonard Jacobson. His writing is along the same line. You can find peace with following their exercises.
"Life is not about comfort. It is about living." Dr. Howard Liebgold

luvlife

Post by luvlife » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:40 pm

I have read The New Earth - and frankly I think we need to dig deeper and read between the lines. Yes, He does have some good thoughts, ex: that wanting "material things" becomes an extension of what you want to become or who you are...which is os not right. But when it comes to the spiritually part of the book, the only true Spirit comes from God and His Word, The Holy Bible... and only by His Grace will we live eternally. Millions of people have been online on Monday nights watching Oprah and Toole and their sessions. Go to <A HREF="http://www.youtube.com" TARGET=_blank>www.youtube.com</A> and link up with 'Toole and Oprah' and listen and see what Oprah has to say about Jesus and Christianity....Scares Me! I still remember Jim Jones and the Kool-Aid. Power can be used to influence so many people that are searching for something in there lives. This is my personal opinion and I hope you don't take any of what I have said personally...but,beware of false teachings.
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">"And my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." Phillippians 4:19</span> God Bless! Judy
"Life is not waiting for the storm to pass ~ it's learning to dance in the rain."

artistguy

Post by artistguy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:08 am

I managed to find downloads of his audiobooks online.

penu

Post by penu » Thu May 22, 2008 2:25 pm

TriniityMN,

I did read A New Earth. I had mixed feeling on how it was written however I definitely got something out of it. I did however love The Power of Now. In this book he guides and teaches you how to become conscious. Honestly I think I got it,I feel like I'm just observing everything without judging. I have to say I have pretty much been recovered from severe anxiety for 8 years now. I still get anxiety however it never visits longer than a few minutes, and if it does I have always gotten through it with COPING SKILLS thatI have learned from several resources other than the program.
My point here is that mostly everything comes down to " your thoughts " it is like a second person in me always there to tell me something -mostly negative. When I was reading this book It taught me to observe that second person, the person that is not really me and acctually just a thought. Yes I got something good out of this book-just wanted to let others Know.

kittiwake

Post by kittiwake » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:20 pm

Hi Penu,

In your post you mentioned coping skills that you got from resources other than the program. I am finding that the skills in the program helpful, but would be interested in knowing what the other sources are that you found helpful. I am currently reading The Power of Nowa and finding it pretty interesting. Thanks

penu

Post by penu » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:58 pm

Kittiwake,

It has been quite awhile since that time in my life. First of all I gathered as much material on anxiety and depression as I could- focusing more on panic attacks. Every book basically had the same concept "change the way you think". Keep in mind I was agoraphobic so I had lots of time to work on me. I pretty much came up with my own therapy by combining what had been suggested in all the books. I kept a journal every day. I simply wrote how I felt each day and ended it by writing one good thing about myself-big or small. Each week I had to pick a day that I did not work or read anything to do with anxiety. On that day I would soak in the tub with my favorite CD and read a good book. I painted,talked to friends,worked on a puzzle, did anything that made me feel good. Eventually I learned how to relax again. One thing I did do that was so positive for me was just pray, this has nothing to do with religion. It had to do with desperation,for me anyway. I had a melt down one night and began the old "why me God" and learned quickly that venting to someone who wouldn't tell was very theraputic indeed. I also became very spiritual from then on. Through some of my research I learned that one of the hospitals in my area provided a phone service for people who suffered from panic attacks and couldn't leave their homes. Professionals would be available to speak and offer advice to those in need. Due to that program I eventually made it to the hospital to join a weekly group that gathered to support eachother,sharing eachothers struggles. I surrounded myself with lots of positive people,people that supported me by letting me recover at my own pace. I filled myself with only positive thoughts, I posted inspirational quotes everywhere in my house, I day dreamed all the time. I dreamed of what I wanted my life to be and then I made it happen. I had patience, I took my time and slowly I became like a different person. It is true that the more you put yourself in those challanging situations the more power it gives you. I also learned to surrender to life,let things happen and learn to cope. Only one reason I purchased this program is "Fear of Flying". The program was a great refresher for me. One of the first books I read back then was from Panic to Power. It took me a year before I went back to work so I had a lot of time to work on myself. Changing the way you think is key,I truely believe that.

twilightstar

Post by twilightstar » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:20 pm

You want to read a really good book, my freind got me this book and i have not been able to put it down. Its called EAT,PRAY AND LOVE. great book. its a must read. iI know this may not sound like it, but i think you would enjoy reading this book

kittiwake

Post by kittiwake » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:04 pm

Thanks Penu, For all of those good ideas. I truly believe in the mind-body connection and the power of changing the way you think, but have always felt it is a hard thing to pull off. I will try it though - have to. It is good to hear about others who have done it. I particularly like your idea of taking a day off for non-anxiety topic things, as I don't want my identity to be swallowed up in thinking about my problems all the time. Looking at other books outside the program on the same topic I think is helpful because sometimes a different author will explain something in a way that just gets through to you better.

& Twilightstar- thanks for the book recommendtion, I will try that one, too.