Purpose

Learn how to bring order back into your life by making reasonable action plans, stop over-scheduling, and become comfortable with asking for help when you need it.
NeverQuit

Purpose

Post by NeverQuit » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:04 pm

I am going through this session and realize that my biggest struggle, and a HUGE part of my anxiety, is finding my purpose, what God is calling me to right now. I think that this is hitting me more than it has in the past. Purpose, or lack thereof, is a huge factor for those of us who have anxiety - we are choosing obsessive thinking and anxiety over pursuing our God-given purpose in life! Or, we have no clue what our purpose is, and THAT is what is creating our anxiety!

Bryson

Re: Purpose

Post by Bryson » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:45 pm

I totally agree with. Lately in my life in life I've been asking myself what the hell am I doing. I wish there was some easy answer but that would be to easy. I really like this post it's something a lot of people don't like discuss but they think about all the time. I would love to think I have greater purpose but been having a lot of doubts lately. I don't plan on giving up anytime soon. :D

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Glad to hear someone else is seeing the importance of this too!

This is a good session to start evaluating your life-purpose I think, because we're talking about managing our time. I am realizing that a big thing for me is having TOO much time on my hands - for some people it's the opposite. I like being busy, especially if it's things that I am interested in and give me a sense of purpose, like we're talking about. I think even for people who are busy, but not necessarily doing what interests them, THAT can be anxiety provoking, even though they have things to keep them occupied, because they aren't things that they actually enjoy!

On a side note, I recently ended a relationship that I was in, and I think that it is a common thing for people to get sucked into another person and their life, rather than focusing on their own, because they don't KNOW what they're purpose is, so rather than trying to figure that out, they try to get another person to fill them, when that is just unhealthy! But it is the world's way of doing things. We need to be able to identify that tendency in ourslelves, because if we can, and decide to pursue our giftings and talents and building ourselves up, we will actually have control, rather than putting our life's happiness in someone else's hands, which is just wrong. Not to say at all that relationships are wrong, it's just our tendencies as human beings to try and fill our insecurities with another person, and no one is able to fill those holes, besides God, in my opinion. :)

THH

Post by THH » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:38 pm

Hello! Good topic!
I can say I fit in as well. I'm 53 no kids - have a business for 27 years been married 26 years. I think I have been wondering what my direction is as well. Aging parents, a farm, and not really setting a goals. I am realizing I'm not young, nor really old. Trying to get a direction in our fast pace, changing world. Its hard!
At times I too have too much time on my hands, other times not the case. The important thing is to know yourself and do something that you "like" to do for yourself. I never realized how important in the growing process how high this really rates! Now I know but struggle with what direction to go. What I want to do?
I wish GOD would make it more clear, or maybe I just need to be more patient and content while I wait! ;)

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:55 pm

I think part of the answer is to try a lot of things! That's where I am finding myself right now, trying many new things to see what clicks. And even if I don't find the one thing, maybe if I have enough going involving the various things that interest me, I will feel more fulfilled? :)

THH

Post by THH » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:53 pm

Neverquit,
I like that idea! It is good to try new things, meet new people. Step out of that comfort zone. Its hard but maybe it will open a new fun door??? I'm working on it all as well.
;)

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm going to reread this and comment. It looks like a great topic of discussion! :D Paislee :mrgreen:

mramirez10

Post by mramirez10 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:41 pm

As I went through the questions in this session the hardest one for me is what am I passionate about. I feel that I have purpose and I know what that is, but for me I have no passions. I like a lot of things, but I'm not passionate about any of them. I tend to get involved with others passions, but never took the time to find my own. This gives me anxiety realizing that I've been so involved with others that I forgot myself. I guess it's never too late to figure it out. I like the idea of trying new things to find out what I like. My husbands been trying to get me to pick up a "hobby" for years, but I've had all kinds of excuses. I think now I realize I'm just scared of failer.

mbwillow1

Post by mbwillow1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:44 pm

I'm not "passionate" about much either- have little things I enjoy doing, but that's all.

SO.... I'm going to get involved. The off-leash dog park I walk my dog at daily is in need of volunteer work. I'm going to call them right now. I'm going to give back. I may not be "passionate" about this too, but I know when I look back, I'll be proud.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:45 pm

I know that the last post here was quite a long time ago.
I have absolutely been going through this every single day recently.
The questions I ask are these:
Who Am I ?
What Is My Purpose ?

I suffer from depression so very little things bring me joy.
I am trying to bring joy back into my life.

I am disabled and don't have a job or a regular schedule
and I have no friends. Five years ago when I DID have a job
I felt like I had a purpose. And I had all my co-workers as
friends. Well, many things have happened the past five
years and now I am physically and mentally disabled
and looking for something to do with my life.

When a depressed person finds very little joy from life,
it is very hard to find something that "you like to do" !
This finding joy thing is going to take some time.

Right now I am just spending most of my time
going to doctors appointments. I have not been
feeling well physically. I am overwhelmed with
all this medical stuff. I cannot concentrate on
these appointments and then try to go to workshops
and classes and support groups too. I cannot go
out every day, I have to limit it to every other day
or I get very tired.

How do I find my purpose ?
I am 54 years old. I cannot live a life without purpose.
Life is empty without it.

Lynda :?

Return to “Session 13 - Time Management: 12 Steps Toward a Balanced Life”