Hypnosis for smoking?

Learn how to bring order back into your life by making reasonable action plans, stop over-scheduling, and become comfortable with asking for help when you need it.
KRISTEN

Post by KRISTEN » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi all~ As im sure you can tell I am getting ready to quit smoking and am trying to decide which way to go :eek: I was asking about chantix last week and got alot of great replys (thank you).I was wondering if anyone knows about this hypnosis to quit. We are having a seminar in my town this week and im thinking about it but im kinda scared. If you have or know someone who has please give me your input.
Thanks

jonellelee

Post by jonellelee » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:02 pm

I have a friend who did it, but he is still smoking, so I dont know if it works or not, but I heard about this book called the easy way to stop smoking By Allen Carr, and I wish i had it when I quit smoking. It supposed to be very very good, i read the reviews on amazon, and i encourage you too as well cause they amazed me. He tells you to smoke when you're reading it, and its not like "it'll kill you" type thing, I dont know Maybe give that a try.

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:55 pm

Hypnosis works but the one time seminars don't always work for everyone. I had it done years ago and quit overnight with no cravings for about 3 months and then it seemed to wear off. When I had it done again by a certified hypnotherapist I scheduled follow up sessions and that is what worked. Check out Paul MacKenna's website. He is the therapist Ellen Degeneres used to quit smoking and he has CD's you can order.

Britt55

Post by Britt55 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:30 pm

I have tried hypnosis several times before - only one session for "quitting smoking" - I am still a smoker. It did not work for that at all! I do however believe that it can help with anxiety and learning to "relax"...if you find the right person. I found a wonderful woman who I had the most amazing experience with when we just did a regular calming session. I was hopeful and did the smoking one the next time. It didn't work and was a waste of money. They make you feel like it's your own fault if it doesn't work because they say that you must not have really wanted to in the first place. That is BS! I wouldn't go (at least not for anything else except relaxation...). It probably won't work. I haven't tried Chantix, my doctor perscribed it but insurance wouldn't cover it. Go figure...anyhow, if I were you (and I'm not, so do what you feel is best for you) I would try something else....good luck. If you find something that works, please let me know, I am an aspiring "non-smoker" as well! :)

KRISTEN

Post by KRISTEN » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:42 pm

Thanks so much for all your replys :)
I will check out all the websites everyone suggested. I guess my biggest fear of being hypnotized is having any anxiety afterwards about it messing up my head or ect. As if it isnt messed up enough already from the anxiety LOL. You guys think its ok and my husbands friend quit for 6 mos. with it so maybe i`ll try it. The seminar is tommorow night so I will let you all know if I go and if so how it works.
Otherwise I will start Chantix on Saturday.
Sometimes I enjoy a smoke,but mostly they are disgusting,smelly,expensive and unhealthy.
Thank again

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:50 am

Kristen- It doesn't mess up your head or put any weird ideas in there either. It's just like a very calming guided meditation. If I could afford it I would have it done once a month. The self hypnosis cds are also helpful if you find a good one.

KRISTEN

Post by KRISTEN » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Thanks Mary maybe I will check it out sometime.
You know how us anxiety sufferers dont like messing with the unknown :eek:
I decided not to go to the seminar today because I heard the true success rate is about 3%. So I guess its going to be Chantix.

chrit

Post by chrit » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:18 am

My sister tried it too and still smokes. I just quit cold turkey and it worked. My mom and my brother in law quit cold turkey also. It was the EASIEST thing I did once I did it. It was getting myself to do that was hard. OH and I did not gain any weight! (And believe me I do not have one of those fast metabolisms, LOL) YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Return to “Session 13 - Time Management: 12 Steps Toward a Balanced Life”