Just 12 minutes...

Learn how to bring order back into your life by making reasonable action plans, stop over-scheduling, and become comfortable with asking for help when you need it.
CarolynEd.Dir.

Post by CarolynEd.Dir. » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:52 am

You know that desk calendar you have, the one with the nice pictures and quote for the day...are you so busy that your daily calendar is torn off in chunks rather than day-by-day? :)

I noticed recently that two weeks had gone by without an updating tear. It then occured that this was not unusual, too much, too many, too busy to even read, meditate on, or tear off the page. Not good.

Today I missed my plane...because I slept right through the alarm. I had plenty of time to think through what had happened and why. It took a few hours to make adjustments to my "schedule." At first I was trying to cook breakfast, dress, brush teeth etc. while holding the phone to my ear waiting for the airline people to reschedule me. What's wrong with this picture? I certainly wasn't following my own advice about time management, relaxation, and o,boy if you could have heard what I was saying to myself!

OK, rewind. I sat down-waited 'almost' patiently. I read an article on my desk and noted the above calendar. Sharing some of my lessons this morning: there are lots of things worse than missing a plane, the delay gives me an opportunity to reflect on how Not important and ineffective my usual nervous energy over missing a plane really is. Because of my jazz last night I didn't sleep until 2:30 [alarm set for 4] which lead to not hearing the alarm! I recognize that I have been rushing for weeks-where ? not sure. I am missing my summer 2008 because I've been over scheduling and trying to keep up with gardens and reorganizing my home.

Enough-too bad it took a missed flight to get me back on my flight pattern. Janet Luhrs, in her book, THE SIMPLE LIVING GUIDE, suggests that we take 12 minues in the morning focus on beginning our day. She encourages us to spend the very first 12 minutes sitting quietly. We could watch the sun come up or just listen to the birds or morning city sounds. We could have our morning tea in our rocking chair.

Don't turn on the news, open the paper, or call someone. Just be there with the best company you could have-YOU.

What's good about being with you? I want to hear about it!

Peace, Carolyn

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:05 am

Good story and good lessons.
What's good about being with me?

I love to laugh and I can find humor in so many things and places.
I love music and there is usually a good song playing in my head.
I realized last week, that if I work on it, I will become a very good friend for me to have around. I already like myself deep down there inside somewhere.
I enjoy trying to help people so if I get out of my own way, I will be a great help to myself.

hopehound

Post by hopehound » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:10 am

I first would like to say thank you to Carolyn.
Thank you for showing us your "HUMAN" side.

I think we all need to be reminded that we constantly need to be reminded to SLOW DOWN and RE-Assess our lives.

So thanks for that.

Well whats good about being with me??

I am going to be left alone for 3nights 4 days with just me and my Yellow Lab, Piper. I couldn't be MORE excited!!!

At first I was a little, nervous? I am constantly around People, all the time. Technically I live at home with my parents (broke college student) but I only stay there once or twice a week. I'm usually at my Boyfriend's house. He is also heading out of town for five days.
So.. Just me and my doggie.

I am currently going through the program a third time and this time I really am doing beautifully. My biggest symptoms were OST's and I always needed reassurance from others to let me know I was "ok", or "normal" or "Not going crazy".

Well, I can get that from me!
More and more each day I realize that and there couldn't be a better time to be alone this week.
I can feed myself with all the positive thoughts that I know I am.

I will treat myself with great care and respect. I will rent some movies, finish my novel I am reading, exercise, walk the dog, and garden!!
Ahhh! i can't wait!

Lisa!
ANGELS CAN FLY BECAUSE THEY TAKE THEMSELVES LIGHTLY

PVF

Post by PVF » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:33 am

What's good about me being with me -

I sit outside with my tea and watch my birds at the feeder and love every one of them even though they poop on my herbs.
I have a warm feeling when I see the dirt dug up because I know the racoons have been busy the night before looking for grubs to eat.
My compassion and sense of humor makes me like being with me.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:50 am

What's good about being with me....

I love spending time in my garden eventhough it is soooo out of control.
I have a funny laugh that makes others laugh.
I started feeding one stray cat...now I feed three (and a squirrel). So I bought a bigger bag of cat food.
I love walking along the ocean and smiling and saying hello to strangers...just to see a smile on their face.
Now, I like waking up in the morning and saying "Hello world", and listening to birds chirping.
I now like me....

Thank you so much Carolyn for this post. It wasn't as hard to write as I thought.

lilianne

Post by lilianne » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:27 am

Carolyn thanks so much for starting this conversation. I loved reading everyones posts they made me smile.
I am working really hard with this program so it has enabled me to say this with confidence,
What's so great about being with me...
I can sit quietly in the morning and appreciate the beauty of a sunrise or a rainy day.
I can find humor in myself
I can look at my children and tell you every detail of their birth and what a gift they are to me
I can just be with me and I may still get a little anxious but i can talk to myself and know how much I love me.
Hope evryone is doing well

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:45 pm

I'd do anything to help someone else. I love reaching out and making a difference. I love playing with my kids. I love long, deep discussions with my husband. I love to hear him pull up in the driveway. I love to sing but it sounds terrible.

marygold

Post by marygold » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:08 am

I love being with my family, more than anyone/anything else. I love taking care of people. I'm a good friend. I'm smart. I'm creative. I love to make things. I'm starting to like myself.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:21 am

Carolyn,

Thank you for starting such a positive post. Wouldn't it be great if, more often than not, we respond to our peer's posts regarding their challenges with such positive language as this post? It is what each of us really needs to help us get through our anxiety or depression. I am impressed with how you turned your situation into a positive experience for us all. It does my soul good to read all of the wonderful things about my peer group!!

What's good about being with me?

I am a loving, honest, caring person who is fun to be around. I have a sincere interest in others and enjoy making people laugh. I am willing and humble enough to share my humanity, struggles and successes with those who need encouragement and hope. I am a faith-filled person, who encourages others in their spiritual journey. I can be serious when appropriate or goofy when you need a laugh!

Thanks again for the great post!

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:18 am

Thanks for making me think about these things.
I am a caring person who likes to take care of others. I am learning that I can take care of myself. I have been medication free for 4 months and just got back from a beach trip and I getting ready to leave again on friday for another trip (did I say medicine free:)).

Return to “Session 13 - Time Management: 12 Steps Toward a Balanced Life”