Scared of Change

This session shows the powerful, positive effects change can have in your life – if only we learn to embrace it, not resist it.
tricia

Post by tricia » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:09 am

Hi

I'm going to see a psychotherapist this Friday. I'm already freaking out in my mind. I'm so scared, yet I know that I need to talk to someone about my problems. I am afraid of change. I'm afraid of getting in control of my life because it means that I would have to stop giving excuses as to why I don't want to do something. I have a fear of success in my life because in the back of my mind, failure is right around the corner. I'm starting to lose sleep over worrying about the appointment. I'm wondering what the therapist will think of me. I'm imagining the worst. I'm afraid of what the therapist will say to me about my life problems. The attacking anxiety course is great in that it is done independently. However, I find that I get to the point with the course that I just need to talk to an actual person about my problems.

Sleepless in Ontario, Trish
"Bloom where you're planted." Joyce Meyers

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:08 am

Hello trish I wanted to encourage you to relax. Your thinking is scaring you. Worrying about yoour appointment on Fri. There really is no reason to be. therapsits are not there to judge you. that's your negative voice telling you that they are.

I have been seeing a therapsi for the past 4 years. I can hardly believe that much time has passed. She recently went out on a medical leave of abscenes. I was really anxious about her not being there. I am so glad,(not because she is ill) but because it was just the push I needed. At this point I have come to realize that I am ready now to fly on my own. This program has been wonderful but the therapist helped me put somethings into perspective.

That's what you need to tell your self. It is hard to change but like it or not everything around us is changing. We need to be flexible and be open to change. It has taken me a very long time to get where I am right now. I have always resisted change in any form. I felt out of control and so unsure of myself. i needed other people to reassure me that I was ok. I can really say that I am really becoming my own safe place and person.

My husband has always told me be open and honest with what's bothering me when I have my therapist appointments. This has really helped me.

I hoped this has helped a little. Breathe and listen to the relaxation tape. Things are never as bad as what we imagine. Good luck and God Bless.

Return to “Session 12 - The Courage to Change”