Need some advice (desperately)

This session shows the powerful, positive effects change can have in your life – if only we learn to embrace it, not resist it.
lauraanna1987

Need some advice (desperately)

Post by lauraanna1987 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:04 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm a 23 year-old girl. This is the second time I've done the Combatting Stress and Depression Program program since I've been told
it's a good idea to go through it again. I didn't have a severe case of anxiety but I went overseas to Paris, France to do my medical school studies alone so probably since I was used to (being an only child) being taken care of constantly by my parents. I've been living there for 5 years. My life is pretty good even though I have to study really hard and have many responsibilities at the hospital. The program opened my eyes and helped me get through rough times and I'm very grateful for it.
However, I still have a silly fear that I just can't get over.
It concerns love. It's probably a very common thing but it's just that I feel as if I'm cursed in love, that I'll end up living alone with 9 smelly cats in a stuffy old apartment. It started 6 years ago when a boy I really loved broke my heart. I got over him but every time I like a guy and he seems interested too, he ends up being a jerk or he never has the courage to really court me. The other boys are either really good friends or I'm not interested in them. I've never had a real relationship and it's not easy seeing couples all around me looking happy and all.

Maybe I am too picky but I can't be with a boy I'm not attracted to and I don't want to do all the pursuing either.
I know there's nothing wrong with me but I don't have a very high self-esteem which is something I can't help. Most people say to try not to think about this and the right guy will come but it's easier said than done...

It'd be really great if someone could give me some advice on how I could put an end to this thought once and for all. I really don't want to have this fear anymore. Maybe I need a new perspective on things.

Thanks ^_^

Paisleegreen

Re: Need some advice (desperately)

Post by Paisleegreen » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Well, I was the same way, very picky, which you want to be. What I did was right down on a piece of paper, mine was from a little notepad, I think, I saved it. ;) Anyway, right down the qualities you are looking for in a husband, I'm assuming that you are looking for a mate. My DH came along and filled most of them, but didn't live in my home state, so I ended up living in his. Which is okay, but I do miss my hometown. Although all my family members moved out and my parents ended up living really close to us, which wasn't always the best thing. :lol:

Now on another note, you still need to date guys to decide what you like or don't like about them, but in my experience, I knew that the first date or a date was sort of a waste of time b/c in my heart I knew he wasn't the one period. Keep a prayer in your heart as well if you believe in prayer. That always helps...definitely make a list. Somehow, this helps to lead your mind/subconcious to to the right guy or close. Good luck! Paislee :mrgreen:

Return to “Session 12 - The Courage to Change”