BUILDING A BETTER LIFE... Lesson 12

This session shows the powerful, positive effects change can have in your life – if only we learn to embrace it, not resist it.
mcshope

BUILDING A BETTER LIFE... Lesson 12

Post by mcshope » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:27 pm

BUILDING A BETTER LIFE

This thread is open to anyone who is going thru the program. We are now on session 12 and we will start a new lesson every week. We are following Lucinda's Program the way is meant to be, listening to the sessions, reading the lessons, completing the assignments. This is just an space to share your experiences and progress.

It has been a great experience to go thru the program with the company and support of other people. It is nice to know that there are people willing to listen and share their experiences.

We would like to support each other, share our progress and continue growing and learning. If you have anything to share, join us, we learn a lot from other people's experiences.

Video for the week
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYDnFlAxi1E

mcshope

Re: BUILDING A BETTER LIFE... Lesson 12

Post by mcshope » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:22 pm

4th of July weekend. I hope everybody has some plans... get out of the house at least for a couple hours.

I am getting ready to go to my sister in law's home. It takes about 45 minutes to get there... I sent my husband ahead because I want to have the freedom to get ready at my own pace. Also I prefer if we go in separate cars, because if I want to leave early, he can stay an visit with his family.

Anxiety is at a 5 or 6.... it will get worst before I get there, however I am hoping I can stay longer this time and enjoy some quality time with the family.

I'l tell you later how I did.

Hope

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:38 am

I can understand your anxiety. I'm glad you are able to take your own car and have control and then be able to leave when you want. I know it is hard for others to understand, but I sure do. Hope you have a great time! Paislee :mrgreen:

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:49 am

I've posted elsewhere, but I have an opportunity to stay at a condo by a mountain lake. I've been there many years ago before my son's death, so this will be both a sad reminder that he is not with us and also an opportunity to experience old things in a new way and making new memories. Also, what is different is that my children, if they show up, are young adults now. Where I don't have control of what they do or expectations of the helping me out in any way. So I sometimes just want to be there by myself, but I have hopes that they will come at different times during the week stay and we can have some fun together.

This place has a warm pool and hot tub/jacuzzi, access to the lake via bike rides or car, also a state park with great lake front usage and trails. Places that take you up to cliffs overlooking the lake, so it is very beautiful. I'm hoping this time to have a speed boat up there to go around the lake. The little town is unique and quaint, with gift shops and good food and people that are there visiting so it should be fun and give me some social stimulization. The pine trees and fresh air will smell so sweet. So it will be the first time for me driving up a mountainous road along a river since I've experienced my first panic attack. But not the first time since my son died, so I feel ready to meet this challenge and enjoy either being by myself or with family members.

I'm hoping for a little of both, but not overwhelming visits by family members. Which would be too much little grandchildren time or young adult children and their friends that might not respect my wishes. Paislee :mrgreen:

THH

Post by THH » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:19 pm

Hello everyone,
Sorry I have not been on for awhile. Busy week. Lots of work / business.

I have tried something new this year and its been over a year of doing this program. I decided to take a hold of some of the summer and try clumping! This is my new word for the summer. Instead of running hear and there every weekend I thought sense we like to get together over the 4th, lets clump all the birthdays and anniversary together( June & Julys) and celebrate them all at one time! I have the largest place, so... that is what I did. I had a big party on Saturday. My dad will be 77, so we did my birthday, his and my aunts. Most people were older, so it was alot of work for me and my husband. It went well, the food was great and good company. I over did it myself and was really tired. But I am taking things easy today and tomorrow.

My Aunt who lost her daughter this past spring came, I was nervous about that. But it went well and I'm so glad she and her husband came. It was a bit hard, and awkward with all the people who have not seen each other and many of their ex spouses were there, but I guess the older you get the easier it seams to be for them. Lesson learned.

I just tossed it out there, and it was all good.

Paislee,
So proud of you going to a place that has so many memories for you. I'm glad you are up for the challenge! It sounds lovely, and tell us how it goes for you. Hoping for a great weekend for you!!! And everyone one else as well! ;)

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:33 am

That's great, THH! My husband's family started doing that for Christmas parties. We do it in November before the snow flies and trade cities. It has worked out great!

Thanks for the kudos on the lake trip. I'm really looking forward to it. There is nothing planned for the 4th, and DH is tired. We're doing okay, but it sure is tiresome with one sided conversations around here. But it is better than anger...I guess. Otherwise my anxiety is doing okay. I even ate 3 Krispy Kreme donuts that DS 25 brought over as a surprise, a 4th of July decorated dozen. I've been doing so well with keeping anxiety body symptoms down that I've been exploring how I feel when I eat something sugary. I did okay and I enjoyed every donut! Yum. But then I followed it later with a tuna sandwich. The protein makes the difference. ;)

Happy 4th of July, I probably will be on here if nothing else exciting happens around here. :roll: I know I shouldn't roll my eyes, but it is hard keeping the peace. :) Paislee :mrgreen:

mcshope

Post by mcshope » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:43 am

I went to my sister in law's home, we had a nice time. I had a chance to test my limits and I did good. I am happy about that.

Paislee,
I hope you really enjoy your time at the mountains. I love nature and I think there is no better place to relax and feel God's love. Remember to take it one step at a time and stay in the now. Sometimes we feel overwhelmed by the people around us, however we need to take a deep breathe and let things go. You are living your own improvement process, and you are doing great.

THH
Good to hear from you. It is a great idea to clump all the celebrations in one. It is always nice to have the family together.

Another week and another session.... And we keep building a better life :D

Hope

mcshope

Post by mcshope » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:11 pm

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:11 pm

Hope, so good to hear about your visit and testing your limits. Good job! :D

I plan on having a good time at the lake, it won't happen until 3 more weeks, I'm not sure if I get the place for the whole week, I hope so. I need that cleared up, so I won't get anxious or surprised.

Today, was a bit boring since all my "kids" are doing their own thing this year. Kind of weird. DH and I had a small argument, not really that, just over reaction to what I said and my DD was over which always test my patience. Anyway, I decided, I still had time to go to the waterpark and if I'm lucky it won't be crowded. The temps were in the 90's and it wasn't crowded like it had been when our temps finally hit the mid 90's. I stayed for 3 1/2 hours until it closed. I got in lots of aerobic exercise which was FUN! So I feel great and I had fun socializing with other park goers. So I'm home now and ready to take a shower. DH went shopping and bought a watermelon so I know that he feels a little bit bad about his over-reaction.

Today, is a milestone marker! A year ago, I was at my brother's house for a mini-reunion. It was a bit depressing and I had a full blown panic attack! It was a bit embarrassing and I was lucky that my niece so happened to have 3/4 of a Xanax in her purse she dug for, but before she could find it. She talked me through the panic attack. It was one of my down points of the beginning of this anxiety issue. She then encouraged me to take the Beta Blocker so that I would be okay later. She knew that I would be traveling home on a very windy highway, with DS 19 year old driving and also the trip was going to take longer. This is what sort of set off the panic attack was thinking about how this road trip was going to be.

Anyway, that was the last full blown panic attack I have had and since then weaned off the Beta Blockers and then the Remeron. So today was triumphant for me to just head out to the waterpark by myself and made myself feel good. I didn't feel the dread like I did last summer when the park was closing and I was left alone for a couple hours.

Thanks to StressCenter.com, I've come a long way! Thanks to all of you! :D Paislee :mrgreen:

THH

Post by THH » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:45 pm

Hope, Great job on challenging yourself! :D

Paislee,
That is wonderful for you too! Managing yourself to keep from panic attacks is a very empowering accomplishment. I too have not had "full blown" panic attack in over a year. I get anxiety, even some symptoms but float with it and it does go away. Its hard to keep all stress producing things from effecting us. We are students, getting good marks along the way!

Return to “Session 12 - The Courage to Change”