The Challenge...Lesson 12

This session shows the powerful, positive effects change can have in your life – if only we learn to embrace it, not resist it.
NinjaFrodo

Re: The Challenge...Lesson 12

Post by NinjaFrodo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:36 pm

THH
Awesome, I do really enjoy having you as apart of going through the program.

No doubt you are sick. How much stress and anxiousness have you felt in the last couple of weeks? That would definately supress the immune system making you more prone to picking up a virus. Remember germs don't result in getting sick, its the condition of the immune system that does that. You could have people breathing on you, sneezing on you and even drooling on you (not sure why they'd be drooling on you) and you still not get sick as long as you have a really good immune system.

I also do relate to having a harder time when feeling sick. It's alot harder to be positive and calm when our bodies are fighting off some kind of virus or dis-ease. I also get restless and want to do things and in the past I would do things as obsessively as I would when i was not sick...well I guess to a bit of a lesser degree as I didn't have as much energy. It definately has gotten easier to just watch stuff on the computer instead though.

back to the drawing board? Disappointed for taking zanax again? Slow down that thought train! You haven't been taking zanax for awhile now, you are sick and still have anxiety issues and they are coming up stronger now and you are limited as to what you can do because of being sick. I highly doubt you are going to be sick with this for the rest of your life and you already know you can get by when you are not sick so please explain how this is back to the drawing board?

Ah ok sounds like you already started to replace the thoughts. Thats good!

Mike

THH

Post by THH » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:47 pm

I feel about the same. I'm not worse, and had a couple of spurts of real good energy today, that's progress!

I'm sure I let myself run down. When you ask me those questions, I realized I have had some big things happening, between my cousin, my sister and her job losing/ getting hired at a new one, my mom with all her problems. It probably didn't take long for my bugs to win the battle! Its a nasty one too. It may be like a extended version of the flu thing I just got over. Either way I see a bunch of things that lead up to it.

I am so sensitive when I feel my body go to battle it sends off a warning that I'm sick. Its like a panic mode. My mom used to freak out when I got sick. So I now do the same. I think I figured it out finally! Its like being told " don't go in the water you will drown". So you stay away from the water and one day someone pushes you in the water and you freak "I'm going to drown!"
Instead it would have been nice to have someone teach you how to swim, in case you want to be a swimmer or someone pushes you in. I am starting to put some things together and at least understand why I react a certain way and from what reason. Not that every detail is important, but to link it to something. I'll figure it out yet!

Yes, I guess I put too much pride on not using zanax. I guess I also used that as a gauge of some sort to help myself believe I really was doing better. I felt better as well. I used my thinking to keep me calm for so many things I was starting to loose it I guess in the past couple weeks with all the drama. I was not handling things as well as I thought I was and got major obsessive thoughts, and strong anxiety when I actually starting feeling all the discomfort from getting sick again. Another mis belief! I liked the way my doctor explained it to me, I should have taken it a few days earlier and relaxed better. Another lesson learned.

I know I said back to the drawing board because I felt that because I was handling so many things different and had this mis belief that I don't need anxiety medicine any more.( more black and white thinking)I over looked it and did not even see how tense I was becoming. My shoulders tighten up and probably every other muscle. I also went to negative thinking.

I'll get back on track, I am still resting and letting this sickness run a coarse. Thank you for reminding me that having anxiety issues they will come on stronger when your feeling weak. And for reminding me to slow down the thoughts! ;)

P.S. Mike - going through this program would never be the same if I would have not come on here, and posted, and got encouragement from you and a few others! Thank you again!!! 8-)

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:03 pm

I hope you get to be feeling better soon THH. My Dr would have told me to take the Xanax sooner as well. I haven't taken it yet, but wonder if I would sleep just a little bit better at night. Although, my Psychologist says that it is my anxiety that keeps me from sleeping as well with the Restoril, but I also did over do it in working outside in my garden and suffered from muscle soreness and then wouldn't take much of an aspirin either. So part of that kept me not sleeping as well.

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:55 pm

THH
Yes you had many things going on and on top of that if it wasn't enough to take on your own stress you also took on your sister's as well!!! I think you might be a glutton for punishment here :P

That makes sense, you were taught to react a certain way to sickness and your mind is just running that same pattern. Its like your mother programed a command into your head and your mind is just running that command. You may not even need to figure out all the details, just create a new command to take its place...like reassurance.

Well that gauge did help you out but it sounds like it turned into an expectation though and when you got sick, you couldn't follow that expectation and well it really didn't help you then but it has helped you any other time. From what we are taught, anxiety and obsessive thoughts actually do help us when things get too much. Those things were getting too difficult for you to deal with so it distracted you, thats all.

Your welcome!

Its good you overcame that fear of posting then isn't it? Now how would you feel if you imagined having a positive reaction like this to any other limitation you have?

P.S. We are almost starting lesson 15, I'm not posting on this thread anymore.

Mike

THH

Post by THH » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:09 pm

Mike,
Thanks. Reassurance is something I need to do for myself. Its hard! Esp. while having your mind running all over. I wish at times I could just lay down and relax.Do the except. I fight and get scared rather then except and do soothing things. Sometimes I do the soothing things and get rattled when I still feel crappy. When I get overwhelmed and in panic, I really fix on the obsessive thoughts. Low levels I can stop myself but when it is high I really have to work at it, and maybe I can do it. Another challenge to rise too.

Thats cool on not posting here, lets wait till next week to Finnish with the last lesson as I'm behind here. My energy level is not where it should be so I am honoring it!

Yes it took me alot to write something and post it. I think it helps organize your thoughts to think of the right thing to say it. I'm so glad I did! I will have other things that I will overcome as well. I am encouraged! ;)

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:37 pm

Wow, THH, you have described things I go through as well. Perfect description! I don't know if that makes you feel any better, but you aren't alone in your feelings of anxiety symptoms. Paislee ;)

Return to “Session 12 - The Courage to Change”