The Challenge...Lesson 12

This session shows the powerful, positive effects change can have in your life – if only we learn to embrace it, not resist it.
creamcheesepuff

Re: The Challenge...Lesson 12

Post by creamcheesepuff » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:29 am

Man have I changed since I moved!!!! UP and Down and all around. What a trip this is.....cant wait for Spring everyone....How the Heck is eveyrone, Paisleygreen, NinjaFroda, THH......thought I lost you guys awhile back....good to see or hear? familiar names......ah......see, I guess it is.......HEY, GOT SNOW????? WHO HAS SNOW OUT THERE???
ALASKA DOESNT!!!!!! They have less then us!!!!! Hope everyone is getting through this Winter and preparing to have a Great Happy Spring!!!! HAPPY POST VALENTINES DAY!!!!!!!

creamcheesepuff

Post by creamcheesepuff » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:31 am

LOST MY POST> WHAT A DRAG!!!!!! come on........that was a long one too. YIKES.....

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi Creamcheese, Gosh, I missed your long post! :cry: Glad to hear from you again! Yep, we are all missing the old website.
I'm getting use to the new format, but it isn't my preference. It is only good because you guys are all here.

THH-Yes, love the smilies. I like it when they are used sparingly and for a most traumatic event such as your flu and you anxiety symptoms! Good Job! :D
Well, on a side note, DS GF went to her home to confront her mother and get her things to move out with another GF. The mother his her cello and computer, from what DS heard from another friend that went with the GF to get her stuff, the mother is clearly "crazy" or control freak. And this sweet girl only wants to please her family to her detriment (sp?). After they loading up her belongings, minus expensive musical instrument and computer, they hung out at my house until 4:00 AM. Finally they went home to sleep in their own beds and not on my couches. :)

Now DS's GF is feeling the anxiety of living in a new environment and might move home in a couple of weeks when everything has blown over. A classic case of emotional abuse and its fallout. GF prefers my house, but I don't want DS so close to GF all the time. He doesn't get anything done, because he is always trying to boost her up. Eventually she will be going back to college out of state in a couple of months.

Well, I better get this posted. I've been on the computer for too long, as far as DH is concerned. Didn't really celebrate VDay with him, but we've been close enough all weekend. Sometimes he doesn't talk to me or is sarcastic, as usual. :?
I know he is really tired, and me not being the same person as I use to be is really hard on him. :cry: Paislee

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:13 pm

hey sorry i haven't read any of the posts yet but I will. My internet has been down at my home for awhile and so i can't access the net much. Right now its only at the gym and only for a short period of time. Hopefully this will resolve soon.

Mike

cj20520

Post by cj20520 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:41 pm

Mike:
thanks so much for the posting. It helped me so much to get started.
Cj

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:45 am

THH
Ouch, Flu's are really horrible but they can be a blessing too if you always push yourself and don't rest. In a way they can be a secondary gain as well. Sounds like your flu was alot worse though or at least the perception of it, what a great learning experience eh? Now I had no idea that the side effects of a medication could be torn tendons, how does that work? Is it just me or are the side effects of medication getting more and more bizaare? I would get anxiety over medication like that as well. Its a good thing you had those Zanax pills!

If you want to know if what you have is a flu the next time, look at your tongue and if it has a coating on it that is diffrent from normal then you likely have an external pathogen (ie cold or flu). If you have mucus or phlegm then look at the color of it, if it is clear or white then its likely a cold or if it is yellowish or green then its likely the flu. If the dangly thing in the back of your throat (uvula) is swollen then you might want to go to the doctors to get that checked out.

Thats understandable that it took awhile to get the panic over, it is alot harder to think positive when we are sick as well...thats just how it is. Wow your mother does not know how to reassure you that things will work out and will be fine does she? Good thing you didn't really listen to her or you'd be even more panicky eh?

The social stuff we both have in common cept for the husband part. I'm just starting to really change this now. I have 3 friends that I keep in contact with or see at least once a week and that seems to be working out for me, its very important as when I isolate myself, I feel extremely lonely. I've come to realize that alot of the time I try to simulate that sense of connection through my videogames and online tv shows but they can only do so much and I actually feel hatred towards myself when I don't let myself go and be around other people. Does your husband have a social life?

And thank you, that thought replacement session was very helpful for me.

Creamcheesepuff
Did you change your name? I had wondered what happened to you, I think the last time you talked in the challenge posts you were saying something about leaving a house you grew up in, how has everything been since then? Ya been up and down and all around for me too but its getting more up and less down! Ya still got snow here in Ontario, its been really cold up here though and alot of nasty wind. In order to avoid losing your post....after you finish typing just right click and click select all then right click again and click copy. If you lose it then open the text box again and then right click and click paste, this is what I do to avoid that problem as it started to happen to me many years ago and its really annoying!

cj20520
Your very welcome CJ, I take it you have struggled with getting started in the program? How you doing so far with it?

Mike

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:34 am

Ok so i've had many practice opportunities in the last few days or even the last week. I was planning to go job hunting but still I get so unbelievably anxious that I can't seem to bring myself to go out and job hunt. I'm realizing that what I need still is to spend more time around people as i'm still afraid of my anxiety symptoms when i'm with people and i'm still concerned with my sleep so I think i need to work on those 2 things first and continue to use the relaxation techniques and guided meditations on a daily basis so thats what i'll be working on. It was really tough I was wanting to find a job but the anticipation of applying itself was so aweful that I became much more dizzy and spacy, I had a harder time focusing and well I guess it became my excuse not to try. I was able to face other limitations that were tough as well like reducing my gym membership and cellphone membership and putting a hold on my osap payments but this limitation I couldn't do that with. Well I'm motivated to keep doing the things in order to prepare me so I can handle it next time, so i'm on the right path.

So my internet went down and that was ok as it just made me have to be a little more flexible with my routine and so I played videogames with my roommates and went out socializing a bit more. I was suprised that I wasn't really anxious over that one especially since it had really bothered me in the past but I guess i have more things I like to do now. Then I left my medication at my friend's place and missed out on a dose which really through me for a loop! My antidepressant helps me with sleep and I think it has made me dependant on it so I wasn't able to sleep and my obsessive thoughts were there for the majority of the day and that was tough. I ended up getting my meds and then I lost my cellphone and i got a couple friends to call it and lucky for me someone brought it to a grocery store I've never actually been to before and I got it back and then I forgot my keys in my house and was locked out for a bit....its been a rough little while.

The website still goes up and down, not as much as it did before but it still makes doing the challenge a little difficult. I say monday we start on lesson 13. I'd like to go through some of the lesson 12 action assignments before then though.

Mike

THH

Post by THH » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:23 pm

Mike,
I can't figure out why my perception of being sick is such a freak out to me? :?: I was home alone when it hit me. It was all of a sudden bam freezing cold and then high temps. just started rising. I trembled so hard I ached. I started with scary questions and thoughts. I called my mom, (mistake) and I do feel bad that I did. She has not been much comfort for me my whole life. I feel horrible saying that! It is true though. I know she loves me, but we are just so different. I have felt bad about that my whole life and most of the time I can get it in perspective but at times I can't. Like Paislee said mothers are sopose to nurture their kids or know about cold and flus. Mine never has. I think maybe some things are in the back of my mind I try to forget. Like when I was sick as a child my dad or grandma always took care of me or took me to the doctor. I had my wisdom teeth pulled all 4 and they gave me pain killers, my mom flushed them down the john! She said I was not going to become a drug addict! I guess I try each time I get sick to give her a chance to help me, and it never happens. So I thank you for putting some stuff on here so I know when to call the doctor!
Yes I believe in the information that came with my pills, generic form of Cipro, almost 2 paragraphs of "ruptured tendon" stuff! :shock:
I have had Cipro but not the generic form. Anyhow, I didn't swallow any! LOL...

I too have to tell you I to like to play video games! Now that it is winter and all crummy out I play them on the computer. When the weather is good I'm out side.
My husband is not a social guy. He is while he is working with all his customers but when he comes home he reads, plays his guitar, watches tv. We enjoy our farm and if there is something I need help with he always will help me. We mostly talk about the business, our animals. He has a large family and there is always something going on with them. By me staying home and working for him, I have limited my circle. Most of my life it has been good. At times I wonder if I need more? Its been something I have been thinking about, and not having a certain thing I want to do always makes it harder.

Mike at what point do you start having anxiety over looking for a job? Have you ever just went and ask for a application yet? Do they still have them??? Seams everyone uses the computer around here. That is great that you did keep facing other limitations! It is hard!!!! Sounds like everyone has been getting challenged! We are tough though, tomorrow will be a better day!
I agree it has been hard with the site going down then up and down, sounds good. Lets do more of the action assignments.

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:21 pm

THH
I've had minor freakouts about getting sick as well. Mine were more about it lasting forever and me being sick the rest of my life...irrational and useless thoughts! I guess alot of them were questions like yours too. I can understand wanting to get reassurance from your own mother as it is a common belief that they should be there to nurture us and make everything better but it isn't like that for everybody. This is what I'd call a Global should and they don't apply to situations like ours! I'm sure she doesn't even realize that she is doing more harm then good when she tells you all those scary things or when she flushed those other pills down the toilet on you. Perhaps you are still holding onto that expectation eh?

Anytime you need some assurance you can definately ask me. I can refer to my pathology notes if need be as well.

Oh, what kind of videogames are we talking about? The videogames I play are for playstation 2 and gamecube and they may be diffrent from the types of games you play.

Well maybe it would do you both good if you started to be more social then eh? It might force him to go out and be social himself and not to scare you but you both aren't going to live forever and when one of you passes away, you're going to want some kind of support system to help you get through that, wouldn't you?

I get anxiety when I even think about asking for an application or applying for a job. Do they still have them? Thats pretty funny!

It does get hard to face those limitations. I guess I just need to build more confidence by facing the smaller limitations first rather than the big ones that involve continual committment.

As I have been typing this post I have actually been practicing being assertive on msn with this one person who added me via msn live. I've never met the person before and they were pretty insulting and its really intresting how people can try to control us with some of the things they say. Ie. You're really sensitive, relax princess, i'm not walking on eggshells for you, you sound like you have no confidence and need continual reassurance. Before I might have actually heard that and then immediately felt bad about myself and just accepted it as truth but now I just see it as a lame attempt to bring me down to their level. The more and more I experience these situations the more I learn from them. One thing I'd like to share about it is if you are stating how you don't appreciate something and how it bothers you and someone gives you the message that you aren't allowed to respond that way by saying things like "your too sensitive" or "your very whiny" or "your such a looser" or anything like that, then this is a sign of control and manipulation!!! Not so much that there is something wrong with us, it is something wrong with them!

Mike

THH

Post by THH » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:10 pm

I like that, global shoulds! Yes, apparently I am holding on to it. Most of the time I do not, because I really believe she don't do it to purposely do it to me, it is part of her negative personality. It just shows when you don't feel well, and your feeling panic how you expect the people to treat you different! It really don't happen, in my case anyhow!

Thank you if I get sick I will come on here and look you up! LOLOL... Your great Mike!
( I don't use web md or any other look up symptoms, I just will not do that.)

I use Igoole as my home page, and they have "stuff" you can set at your home page. I have pacman advanced, space invaders, and poker on there! LOL... I like playing those old games.

Yes, you are very right if I would get more social I think he would have to as well. I have been working more at giving him new things to do. I have done the bills, writing checks ect... for our whole lives. He is now learning some of this. It is funny as you are together for long periods he relies on me for many things ( I on him as well ) but it is good to have a good working knowledge how to run a house / business. We have done better and as we have been slowing down some over the last 5 years, we need to learn some new things, I need to get a new hobby, or devolve a new interest. I have always been attracted to the arts, so maybe a painting class or clay or something like this. Well see...

I agree with you too, by facing smaller limits will build confidence. Maybe you could just get some applications, and tell them you will bring it back later. LOL... It has been such a long time that I went looking for a job, its so scary! Everyone tells me you send resumes on line. apply on line. I don't know??? LOL....
What about a summer job? some kind of short term job. Maybe part time? Something like collect tickets at a movie theater or deliver news paper? Some kind of job that if you feel you need to quit, then it won't come back on you. Just a few of my ideas. ;)

Good for you feeling that something was wrong with the guy you were talking to, that is very rude of him, and it shows he is very manipulative! Hang up! LOL....

Return to “Session 12 - The Courage to Change”