Scared

This session shows the powerful, positive effects change can have in your life – if only we learn to embrace it, not resist it.
DukeR

Post by DukeR » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:19 am

Does anyone feel the same way I do? I am weaning off Xanax right now and all I am taking is 1/4 of a milligram which is nothing in comparison to what I was taking. It is funny because I am scared of not taking taking anything and what will happen. It is crazy because it has become part of my regimen so to stop taking pills, I feel like I am forgetting to do something and then makes me anxious. Any words of advice for ways that I can overcome this?
I wish there were placebo pills out there!!!

Boon

Post by Boon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:32 am

Yes. Feel your discomfort while going off of the pills. You are afraid to feel the anxiety so you want to avoid anything that may give you anxiety. Again, feel the discomfort. It will pass. The discomfort is resistance to the change. You'll get comfortable with the change and it will pass and you will have proved to yourself that you can indeed handle the anxious feelings.

You can do it.
"Life is not about comfort. It is about living." Dr. Howard Liebgold

DukeR

Post by DukeR » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:05 am

Thank you Boon, I just need to believe in myself! Were you ever on any medications?

Boon

Post by Boon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:22 am

Yes, I was. I am not any longer.

DukeR

Post by DukeR » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:13 am

was it hard weening off? did you have any side effects?

Boon

Post by Boon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:20 am

I took it slow and had no side affects at all. I stayed on one dose for a month and then lowered it and stayed on that dose for a month and then stopped it entirely.

DukeR

Post by DukeR » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:22 am

good for you.

KME

Post by KME » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:54 pm

I too am weaning myself off my medication - I actually took my last dosage Friday - and I am nervous -- but I am getting through it. I am just scared to go back down hill, but I know now I have skills to work with. It has been a hard process...but I am really working hard. You can do it too - I believe in you. Good luck...I'll keep you in my prayers!

Deborah Henry

Post by Deborah Henry » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:31 pm

I'm weaning off Xanax XR this week. I weaned off Cymbalta last week and did quite well. Only one episode of anxiety in the middle of the night, but used the tape and came through it just fine.

I am taking Xanax XR .5 mg every other day. I started going off on Sunday, today is Tuesday and the second time I did not take a dose. My head feels a little foggy at times but I don't feed into it, I use my skills, and it goes away. I just keep telling myself that the day will come that I don't feel like this. I know it will happen!

Thanks for all your posts. I really needed to read all of them. It gives me strength. I know we can do this. Others have done it before us.

Debbie

bevhembree

Post by bevhembree » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:57 pm

My doc told me today to come off Xanax- rather we decided it together. He actually wanted me to take 3 .5 mg to sleep at night, but I declined. I'm a little nervous to do away with the day time dose, BUT I think I'm ready and (shame on me) I have some left in case of a bind. Wish me luck!
For those with a sense of humor- you mentioned placebo pills and it made me remember a funny story. My brother was an older teenager who showed horses, but got so nervous before he showed that the horse would sense it and act up. SOOO- my mom mentioned in jest about getting something to calm him down. I came up with the brilliant plan of giving him the sugar pills from my birth control pack from the week and my period, but telling him it would calm him down. You know what- it worked like a charm!! Thanks for bringing back a fond memory and a funny one at that. And nobody tell him- he still doesn't know ten years later! Bev
"Here and happy because of my three little angels- Marie, Chad and Cady."

Return to “Session 12 - The Courage to Change”