feeling hopeless about spacy feelings

This session shows the powerful, positive effects change can have in your life – if only we learn to embrace it, not resist it.
tshell

Post by tshell » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Hello, I just need some encouragement. I just signed up for this forum I have been going through the program and have learned so much about myself , and am truly forever grateful for what it has taught me.I am on week 13 of the lessons, but I can't seem to overcome this spaciness feeling. I have had it now for 1 1/2 years all the time. Occasionally it will go away but as soon as I notice its gone it comes right back.I feel so hopeless sometimes like I will not get better,and how will i live this way. I am a mother of 4 i just had a baby 1 mo ago. I have dealt with anxiety for 7 years off and on Im so tired of missing out on my children's lives being so focused on myself. I am faced with a very hard decision to stop nursing my baby and get on medication for this spaciness.I feel so horrible for possibly doing this ,but i truly am worn out and tired of feeling this way all the time its stopping me from living my life. Has anyone had the same feelings ? Do you have anything encouraging to help me? Thank you .

Karmerri

Post by Karmerri » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:08 pm

Hello, I can relate to everything you are feeling and I know it's the worst....I suffer from anxiety or atleast this is what the docters have lead me to believe..but however that spaciness feeling you feel is the same way I feel..it's like your in a cloud or in another world ...its doesnt feel like reality. Right? Well Im 29 and Ive been sufferring since highschool and this feeling comes and goes..I too feel like Im missing out on my life as well as my kids life...It is very depressing and I pray that this will go away.....I recently started excercising, that always seems to help a little...but u are not alone and as someone who is suffering the same as you are I would just encourage you to pray, excercise and read because to me no docters or meds are going to cure me as they never have or maybe temporarily, but who wants to be on drugs forever....Try to stay postive...trust me you are not alone.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:14 am

The spaciness feeling is just a side effect from anxiety; nothing more. Our brains are overworked with inward thinking and it's like a defense mechanism in a way. The ONLY way is THROUGH that junky feeling. Don't give it attention. Just recognize what it is and that it's not dangerous. It will take a lot of practice. You'll become less afraid of it, then you'll probably be angry and frustrated by it, and then it will be insignificant.

Don't put too much hope in taking a pill to make it go away. There are no magic pills.

While you're nursing, for example, try and focus on your little one's hair or breathing. Do little bits of external focusing; not to make the anxiety "go away" but just to be gentle with yourself. That was a BIG lesson to me. I was so hard on myself trying to make it stop and "do it right", but it wasn't until I became more gentle with myself did I notice any real change.
If you have a 1 month old, you need to EXPECT fuzziness and some anxiety pressure. It's perfectly average. Be gentle; just like you are with your newborn.

Post by Guest » Mon May 04, 2009 6:52 pm

Have any of you tried accepting that spacey feeling, instead of trying to wish it away???

I know this may sound a little odd, but, accepting your feelings, instead of running from them is the "key" to overcoming anxiety and panic attacks....You cannot run from your own self and win...That is what you have always been doing, and I bet it never worked...

Accept that spacey feeling...Say, "I know what this is"....Observe it....Watch as it's life-span decreases!!!!

Remember to do the deep-breathing while accepting...This worked better for me than anything....

Hope this helps you as much as it did me...God Bless!!

Post by Guest » Wed May 06, 2009 1:09 am

Sounds like you have alot stress in your life right now. It is understandable to be feeling like you do. Try to accept it as a symptom of stress/anxiety and not turn it into something else. It will subside with time and patience. Remember to make some "me" time and use it to relax and breathe.
God bless you!

Post by Guest » Fri May 08, 2009 1:42 pm

I think the key to diffusing the spaciness is plain acceptance. Be patient with the process. But most of all except it. This is the true key. When you have them, let them exist. It's when you truly except them that they will not have the same relevance that they did.

You will find that there are times that they will come back- but with enough patience and understanding, they will go away. Sometimes they come back when you are worried or anxious or perhaps tired.
Every time you feel the spaciness, tell yourself that it's OK and that it won't hurt you - it never has in the past right?

The spaciness is just your anxiety- and perhaps something made you remember how talking or interacting made you feel (from the past). You can beat this! I did - you can too!

Post by Guest » Thu May 21, 2009 6:33 am

I like Ms. T Bones advice...I had horrible derealization and depersonalization when anxiety hit me hard in 2006. And even now, after going through the program and doing really well, it will come back if I am particularly stressed.

Last time it hit me I talked to it like this: THANK YOU THANK YOU spacey feelings for coming and trying to protect me. I see you, I see that you come when you are concerned about my brain being overloaded. Thank you so very much for your concern. You can stay as long as you like.

Try it!

Return to “Session 12 - The Courage to Change”