What is everyone doing for a living here?

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:24 am

I'm an office manager for a Title Insurance company in New York. Lots of stress; dealing with attorneys all day long as well as a staff of 10. I like my job because I feel good when I solve problems for other people. This begs the question "If I'm so good at solving problems, shouldn't I be able to get rid of my anxiety for good???"

jillzmind

Post by jillzmind » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:58 pm

I'm currently a full-time student and I also work as a transcriber. I go to other students' classes who are hearing impaired and I type out what the teacher is saying as they say it so the student has access to the lecture. In comparison to dealing with my own classes it's not hard at all!

Brittbrat, I haven't been in your exact situation but I feel like I can relate. I was planning on double-majoring in English and Business but I decided to drop the English major after I dropped this one class twice. It's only offered once a year and both times I couldn't go through with it- the stress was too great. It's ok though! If it's one class and you really want to do it deep down, then you should go for it, but otherwise you shouldn't force yourself to do it if you don't really want to. Now I'm glad I dropped the major because I realized I was only double-majoring to get other people to respect me more. My current goal is to find a low-stress business job (is there a such thing?) so you shouldn't feel bad about your current position. I don't consider what you're doing to be a waste of time. Sorry if this doesn't help much but know that I'm here for you if you ever need support!

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:17 am

I am a mother, wife and currently unemployed. I start class next week to get my Health and Life Insurance License.
Michspeaks: how did you get the transcribing job? I previously was a transcriptionist and would love to know how about doing what you are doing.
Thanks

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:49 am

I am a Homemaker and recently started my own small on-line business.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:30 pm

Hi looking4me! I actually found a job listing on my college's website. It was open to anyone who happens to be a fast typer but since then I have learned a form of short-hand for the computer so I'm more "official" now. I know from experience a lot of people need it so I'm definitely glad I have this job!

It's cool you were a transcriber too! I've never known one before (besides my sister, but we work the same job).

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:31 pm

I currently work in the accounting field. Like you I have also found it hard to stay at a job for a long period of time. I usually stay for about a year then move on. I never thought that the reason could be related to my anxiety and depression I just chalked it up to being bored. Every day at work is a struggle for me.
I watch the clock and can't wait until 5 so I can leave. I am terrified of having a panic attack at work. I'm lucky that I have a job where I can get out of the office if I have to. I seem to always need to know that I can leave if I have to. I don't like feeling trapped at work.
Originally posted by czarr:
Hello,

With all of the issues related to anxiety and depression, I was wondering how everyone likes there jobs and what people are doing for a living.

I personally have had many problems working and staying at a job for too long. I have worked in the healthcare industry as a CNA for over a year, while working toward my nursing degree.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:26 pm

I am a Doctor of Chiropractic. 17 years. My practice has suffered greatly from the depression of anxiety. I help patients every day get help with A&D...It is my time!

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:34 pm

hi, I'm a supervisor for a production plant. We take cattle blood and process it into spray dried powder. Which is used for dog food, fertilizer, make up, some candy bars, fast food hamburgers and several other items. It's very interesting and yes a very stressful job, which led me to StressCenter.com. (I love to go thru and read all the old post. Especially epa, he's a cowboy at heart, and many others).

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:47 pm

I am an CNA and love my job taking care of people. But I have an goal of going to nursing school either LPN or RN whatever the finances will allow me.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:39 pm

I was a pharmacist in a non profit health care system before kids. Now I am a stay at home mom to 4 boys.

I think often of what I want to do next. Have been dabbling in volunteer opportunities and having a blast being a gym rat and recently have taken up distance running. Also started my piano lessons again and took up with a Bell Choir in my church.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”