What is everyone doing for a living here?

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:12 pm

I am an accounting tech for the Department of Defense. My future Goal is to take classes and work for Hospice. I love taking care of elderly people also.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:28 pm

I hadn't had a job for 2 yrs since we built our home. too much stress/anxiety. The program helped me to get a job as a bakery clerk. You'd think this could be an easy job but for me it's so much temptation and is causing more havoc with my body. Tues. I am having an interview to find out about working with children with autism. It will be less hrs. but could be stressful. Sure wish I could stop being anxious :(

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:54 am

I've just graduated in May of 2006 with a BSc degree on Computer Science and a minor in Business Management, and currently I'm working as a Software Engineer/Database Administrator with a plan to move to a more marketing/business like position by the end of 2007.

P.S. Hard work is one of the best things you can do for yourself to get out of this situation.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:35 am

Hello Everyone:
I've just read about your work. Very interesting!
I am retired. I have been retired a long time.
I am 78 years, as of Dec. 28, 2006.
I learn from all of you.
I wish each of you to gain good health, and sure hope I accomplish the same.
Mary

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:57 am

Barb last year I worked one on one with a first grader who has autism, it was stressful but at the same tine rewarding. It is so interesting seeing life though their eyes. I hope and pray you find the right situation and job for yourself!

I continue to pray for you!

Ivyheart

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:42 am

Happy 78th Cornflower. We all learn from each other, isn't that the truth.

My list of jobs since 8th grade...
* In my younger years I would go to my dad's auto repair shop and sweep, clean, get parts for the guys, get lunch, etc.
* Worked at a hot dog stand in a mall. The owner taught me valuable life lessons that I realized YEARS later
* Worked various odd-ball construction jobs from cleaning up to carrying things around. I was under 16 at this time
* Worked for Sears repairing camcorders and vcrs.
* Worked for a local TV repair shop repairing tvs.
* Installed garage alarms in Chicago for about a year.
* Installed garage doors, residential and BIG commercial doors until about 92. The owner taught me LOADS of things about building and carpentry.
* Worked for the phone company for about 7 years doing installation and repair of phone lines outside
* Quit the phone company and did private contract work FOR the phone companies for a while. I did the things they either didn't know how to do or didn't have the manpower to do. Lots of traveling
* Owned and operated various rental properties since the mid 90's.
* I did "handy-man" jobs for a while. Working for anyone that needed anything done in their homes.
* I had a home inspection company in FL, that went defunct because of my problems.
* And now, since my anxiety, panic and depression took over, I'm currently jobless. Had to quit a good contracting job and had to turn down 4 others because of my anxiety issues.
* I've been using computers since '82 when the Timex Sinclair came out.
* Now that I'm feeling better, have things in order, and have family support, I'm going to college to study Radiology. I took my first class last week... Intro To Computers. Funny, but mandatory.
So, I'm skilled in almost anything that can be done in a house from electric to plumbing, painting, carpentry, etc. I grew up with tools in my hands, working on cars, fixing anything I could and taking things apart to see how they worked. I'm a hands-on, blue collar type of guy trying to get into the medical field. Wish me luck everyone!

D

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:40 am

Right now, I am retired.
I had been a professional ballet dancer with a ballet company in UT.
I also have owned, taught, and was artistic director of my ballet school.
I have taught ballet for about 30 yrs.
I gave up my school in 1999. I have chronic illnesses which limit my ability to do things as and when I want to.
I had coached ballet during the last 5 years.
I also got into beading and simple jewelry making, but I gave that up also, after I had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists.
Right now, I am just trying to find where I belong. And what I can do with the rest of my life, besides being depressed and anxious.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:25 am

Good luck with the new career, Dan. I am a state worker in a office. Sometimes I hate it and want to do something else but the benefits and pay arent bad. I have 10 years seniority also. Good luck! :)

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:54 am

I am a stay-at-home mom with three children who have autism. I also am a freelance writer. I haven't been writing much lately, but last year I had several things published. I would love to have a book published!

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:00 am

I am a mechanical CAD designer. We design heating, air conditioning, and ventilating systems for commercial buildings...lots of hospitals lately. It has started to become second nature and leaves alot of time to think while working on the non-challenging stuff...

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”