A Sioux Tale

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
artistguy

Post by artistguy » Fri May 02, 2008 9:12 am

The Creator gathered all of Creation and said,

"I want to hide something from the humans until they are ready for it. It is the realisation that they create their own reality."

The eagle said, "Give it to me, I will take it to the moon."

The Creator said, "No. One day they will go there and find it."

The salmon said, "I will bury it on the bottom of the ocean."
"No. They will go there too."

The buffalo said, "I will bury it on the Great PLains."

The Creator said, "They will cut into the skin of the Earth and find it even there."

Grandmother Mole, who lives in the breast of Mother Earth, and who said "Put it inside of them."

And the Creator said, "It is done."

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Fri May 02, 2008 9:30 am

Beautiful!

David**

Post by David** » Fri May 02, 2008 10:14 am

I have no indian tale to give but I will share the words of a great Lakota chief with you.

"Silence was meaningful with the Lakota, and his granting a space of silence before talking was done in the practice of true politeness and regardful of the rule that "though comes before speech."

And in the midst of sorrow, sickness, death or misfortune of any kind, and in the presence of the notable and great, silence was the mark of respect. More powerful than words was silence with the Lakota.

His strict observance of this tenet of good behavior was the reason, no doubt, for his being given the false characterization by the white man of being a stoic. He has been judged to be dumb, stupid, indifferent, and unfeeling.

As a matter of truth, he was the most sympathetic of men, but his emotions of depth and sincerity were tempered with control. Silence meant to the Lakota what it meant to Disraeli, when he said "Silence is the mother of truth," for the silent man was ever to be trusted, while the man ever ready with speech was never taken seriously."

Chief Luther Standing Bear - Oglala Sioux
"May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to choose it, and the strength to make it endure."

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”