OBSESS much?

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
anothersideofme

Post by anothersideofme » Sun May 25, 2008 2:42 am

Much too much!!! I've found since I've been on the program, I am totally obsessing about my thoughts. I'm just finishing up week two and these past two days have been really bad. It's like my anxiety is the only thing I can think about. That and my fear of developing depression. I've tried to distract myself, but it seems to be getting harder to do.

How can I stop myself from obsessing about myself? It's really uncomfortable and I'd like to stop.

I've had some stressors lately, could that be the problem I'm trying to distract myself from with my obsessing? I've recently had a mrsa staph infection and the doctor has cut it out and now I'm on two different antibiotics for two weeks. Medicine scares me, so that's a stressor for me. Also, my husband and I own a cleaning business and we have been really struggling. It's starting to pick up and our work load is getting really heavy. Good thing for our bank account, bad thing for my stress.

Sorry for the book, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to get out of my own mind, please let me know!

Thanks

lola403

Post by lola403 » Sun May 25, 2008 4:26 am

Hi there obsessed one. I do not have any advise to give you but what I can offer is let ou know you are not alone. I am also in my second week of the program and was thinking those exact things as well. "I'm not sure if I am depressed but what if I get depressed? then what?" ...what if.... sounds familiar.
I do actually have a suggestion for you though now that I think about it.
Positive Self Talk.
Easier said then done, but so totally worth it. Your business is picking up! Great job! Your putting in the hard work and reaping the benefits. Try to be excited instead of apprehensive. Oh and speaking as a health care profesiional, take your antibiotics, they arent going to hurt you. Stay on the schedule and do finish every last pill. The last thing you want to worry about is "what if I develop antibiotic resistance" :) Take care of your self and good luck. You are not alone.

Catherine Anderson

Post by Catherine Anderson » Sun May 25, 2008 4:50 am

Originally posted by anothersideofme:
Much too much!!! I've found since I've been on the program, I am totally obsessing about my thoughts. I'm just finishing up week two and these past two days have been really bad. It's like my anxiety is the only thing I can think about. That and my fear of developing depression. I've tried to distract myself, but it seems to be getting harder to do. The first couple of lessons really open you up to yourself and realizing that we are responsible for our condition is a scary thought, aat best, but "just a thought!" Like you, I've been an obsessive thinker and all of it negative. This thinking ultimately caused anxiety, panic and yes, that scary word "depression."The fears in our life can be unending, if we allow them to be. Above all, stick with the course and practice sessions, becasue you get past all the negative thoughts and obsessive thought you're feeling. The relaxation tape was a great help to me, after I got over the fear of being still and quiet. After a few weeks I found it a safe place to go to; a place inside me where I could let go and just be still. You are a magnificent human being and deserving of the hope and relief this course can bring to you. It's been fourteen weeks for me and I'm so much happier with who I am. Sure I still have times of anxiety and the tendency to think obsessively but there getting few and far between thanks to the "self talk" tape the "assertiveness tape" and all the others that are helping me to break the habit of scary obsessive thinking and the anxiety that follows. Hang in there, because there is a new and calmer person inside just waiting to get out. Through this course and the work that goes with it, you can let her out and once released, your life will be without limits!
Best,
Catherine Anderson
How can I stop myself from obsessing about myself? It's really uncomfortable and I'd like to stop.

I've had some stressors lately, could that be the problem I'm trying to distract myself from with my obsessing? I've recently had a mrsa staph infection and the doctor has cut it out and now I'm on two different antibiotics for two weeks. Medicine scares me, so that's a stressor for me. Also, my husband and I own a cleaning business and we have been really struggling. It's starting to pick up and our work load is getting really heavy. Good thing for our bank account, bad thing for my stress.

Sorry for the book, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to get out of my own mind, please let me know!

Thanks

anothersideofme

Post by anothersideofme » Mon May 26, 2008 10:46 am

Thanks you guys. Lola, I'm sorry you have this problem with me.

Catherine, thanks for your words. You said "you get past all the negative thoughts and obsessive thought you're feeling." Did you mean that this is a "normal" phase that I'll go through during the healing process? If so, that's good to know. Today was really busy for me and it's hard to do all this work with my brain so focused on itself. Right now, my brain feels heavy and really tired. I think I do have some depression now, but like Lucinda says, it's o.k. to feel sad and I can handle it. It will pass.

lola403

Post by lola403 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:55 pm

Catherine these self talk and asertive tapes you speak of. Are they part of the program where I have to wait to get to that section or is it something seperate?

"We cannot tell what may happen to us in the strange medley of life. But we can decide what happens in us - how we take it, what we do with it - and that's what really counts in the end, how we take the raw stuff of life and make it a thing of worth and beauty - that is the test of living."

George Sampson

Post by George Sampson » Mon May 26, 2008 9:03 pm

Suggest you listen to the relaxatin CD Three times a day.--AND --use the breathing tecnique for a couple of minutes when ever the obsessions strike.

The Frustrated Gamer

Post by The Frustrated Gamer » Mon May 26, 2008 9:33 pm

Hey Anotherside!

I've been experiencing the very same thing! It's 4:28 in the morning EST and I haven't gotten any sleep tonight due to my obsessive thoughts about work tomorrow (today). I'm so behind in my work that I've obsessed about it all weekend while still finding time to enjoy my family and the Memorial Day weekend.

I, too, seem to be thinking about anxiety ALL of the time! I've had that low grade fear all weekend and it got progressively worse until tonight when it bloomed completely! I've found that distractions are working, but I've found little comfort in positive thoughts. I keep going back to work. ARRRRRGGHHH!

I hope this is just a stage. I don't see work getting any better and I'm just beside myself with anxiety.

Staying in touch.

FGamer

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”