Irrational fear...

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
EricC

Post by EricC » Tue May 13, 2008 4:42 pm

My anxiety is far less than it used to be, but now I feel spacey and weird.

Sometimes because there's not as much anxiety anymore when I begin to go into a deep relaxation it scares me. Is it possible to meditate/relax too deeply and die? I'm afraid my heart will stop if I relax too much =X

Do any of you veterans of anxiety who are better go into very deep states of relaxation?

carol d

Post by carol d » Wed May 14, 2008 1:14 am

Boy you are good if you can relax that much. I can't remember when the last time was that I relaxed that is made me nervous. I took a meditation class and the instructor said sometimes he can make himself have out of the body experiences. Your heart is a non stop organ so I really don't think it will stop just cause your deeply relaxed. When you sleep you are relaxed and it doesn't stop. I wouldn't worry about that. I would celebrate your sense of peace.

krisb1968

Post by krisb1968 » Wed May 14, 2008 1:49 am

I don't think there is such a thing as being too relaxed, unless you have zero energy and are just sitting around all day doing nothing. You can't die from being too relaxed. If you are tired, get up and move, exercise and be at peace. Enjoy how far you have come and remember the days when you could only dream of being in such a relaxed state.

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Wed May 14, 2008 3:33 am

I had similar feelings a few months into the program. I thought maybe I was listening to the relaxation tapes too much and getting too relaxed. Crazy as that may sound to some people who are having a hard time relaxing. I realized though that I was just not used to feeling that relaxed and not having all that nervous energy going on. It takes awhile to get used to it. It's a whole new way of being. I do things slower now and don't accomplish as much but what I do now is out of choice and not out of fear that if I slow down and really relax my worries will "take over". I still have a hard time on Sundays when I get the Sunday Blues sometimes but am working on accepting the day and the "new me". I know you will find a balance here and I doubt very much if you will die from too deep of a relaxation and or meditation. I know several people who go off on retreats for days and do nothing but meditate and they are still alive.

EricC

Post by EricC » Wed May 14, 2008 11:01 am

Thanks for the replies all, that was very reassuring.

Not many people seem to have this fear so I kind of felt alone. Then 'if this fear is so rare, maybe it's me, maybe there's something wrong with me'

Just knowing it's normal makes me feel a bit better.

Cheers

Boon

Post by Boon » Wed May 14, 2008 11:17 am

No, Eric. You can't relax too much. That is your scare voice talking. Remember: Your scare voice lies and exaggerates. It's a pathetic thing that does not deserve your attention.

Relax to your heart's content. You won't die. You'll be doing yourself a favor.
"Life is not about comfort. It is about living." Dr. Howard Liebgold

robin D

Post by robin D » Wed May 14, 2008 1:57 pm

I used to be scared that I was going to die when I felt to relaxed. It seemed as though my heart was stopping or it was skipping a beat. When I found out that I wasnt the only person who felt that way it was very reassuring. So I try not to let that feeling startle me anymore.

tmblackbelt08

Post by tmblackbelt08 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:42 am

Yeah I know waht you all mean, sometimes when I am really relaxed I feel like my heart might stop and it scares me. I then get a rush of addreline and it beats faster. I then, when its all over get chest pains and have this fear that something was wrong. but I know that noting is wrong ,but the fear akes me feel this sorta terror inside! But I know its all going to be ok :)

Nugget28

Post by Nugget28 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:37 am

I'm so glad that I found this post.
This sounds very familliar to me.
Everytime I feel really relaxed and I feel like the way that I used to, without worries or anxiety. Suddenly I will get this obsessive scary thought that I might get panic attacks or die. I know they are just thoughts but I just hate that I get them everytime I feel good. I feel like I am sabotaging myself every single time.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”