Lorazepam addiction

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:52 pm

Jimp,

Just to clear a few things....

I am NOT anti-medication but instead PRO-cognitive-behavioral therapy. I believe that there is a place for medication and if a person feels there is a problem with their medication then THEY should know. I don't know what I said that ever made you believe that I was anti-med.
I am simply PRO-FUTURE because I believe FUTURE knows what's best for FUTURE !!

It's obvious that people have different views and that's OK. Nobody needs to try to convince others they are "right" because everyone is different.

Let this rest.

Mom of 6

Post by Mom of 6 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:15 pm

Right on Jimp ! ;) I am with you on that.
"O God, you are my God. Earnestly I seek you;my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is BETTER than life,my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name, I will lift up my hands." Psalms 63

Paul R.

Post by Paul R. » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:38 pm

Originally posted by larrygregg:
[qb]I HAVE BEEN ON THE SAME MED. FOR 5 YEARS 1MG 2X DAILY. I CANT STOP EITHER I TRY AND I CAN STAY OFF FOR A BIT BUT THEN IM RIGHT BACK ON THEM. GOOD LUCK IM TRYING TO GET OFF TO. IF YOU WANT TO TALK EMAIL ME AT FASTNHARD26@AOL.COM,[/qb]
Larry,

After this many years I think what you may have is called a "physical dependance".
In other words it is hard for you to go without the med for a period of time without wanting it to help correct whatever it is you are feeling. Anti-depressants also can develop a "dependance" which is less than an addiction.

This is where Lucindas course can help. It can help reduce that dependance.

I do not know your situation with your doctor and so forth but the way to go about this is to reduce dosage very slowly over a period of time, perhaps several weeks and use Lucindas course in the process, and just watch how you feel. I have heard of others "quartering" tablets.

Talk to your doctor and tell him exactly what you said here. Most doctors understand if someone wants to taper off of something and he would be better qualified to give you the advice you need under such circumstances.

Keep in mind that unlike Xanax, Ativan has a very short half life. It should begin disipating out of your body after 24 hours and you will get a good idea of the affects of being off of it. Actually, in my opinion, this makes Ativan a much better med to ween off of than Xanax which has a half life of about 7 days.

Talk to your doctor. Sometimes if they think its a good idea for you to come off of it they can give you a small dose of something else to "ease" you off of it.

Good luck!

ranger100

Post by ranger100 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:06 pm

Originally posted by Jimp:
[qb]
<SNIP>
Keep in mind that unlike Xanax, Ativan has a very short half life. It should begin disipating out of your body after 24 hours and you will get a good idea of the affects of being off of it. Actually, in my opinion, this makes Ativan a much better med to ween off of than Xanax which has a half life of about 7 days.
<SNIP>[/qb]
Jimp,
Please, do us all a favor and do some research before you post your medical advice. Alaprazolam (Xanax) and Lorazepam (Ativan) have pretty similar half lives.

From <A HREF="http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/alpraz_cp.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/alpraz_cp.htm</A>
Using a specific assay methodology, the mean plasma elimination half-life of alprazolam has been found to be about 11.2 hours (range: 6.3-26.9 hours) in healthy adults.
and from <A HREF="http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/loraz_cp.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/loraz_cp.htm</A>
The mean half-life of unconjugated lorazepam in human plasma is about 12 hours and for its major metabolite, lorazepam glucuronide, about 18 hours.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:46 pm

Originally posted by BruceF:
[qb]
Originally posted by Jimp:
[qb]
<SNIP>
<SNIP>[/qb]
Jimp,
Please, do us all a favor and do some research before you post your medical advice. Alaprazolam (Xanax) and Lorazepam (Ativan) have pretty similar half lives.

From <A HREF="http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/alpraz_cp.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/alpraz_cp.htm</A>
Using a specific assay methodology, the mean plasma elimination half-life of alprazolam has been found to be about 11.2 hours (range: 6.3-26.9 hours) in healthy adults.
and from <A HREF="http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/loraz_cp.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/loraz_cp.htm</A>
The mean half-life of unconjugated lorazepam in human plasma is about 12 hours and for its major metabolite, lorazepam glucuronide, about 18 hours.
[/qb]
Bruce,

Why did you think I told him to discuss any sort of med weening with his doctor??

I meant to compare Ativan to Diazepam which has up to a 200 hr. half life.

But he has to discuss this with his doctor, as I said in my post.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:24 pm

these drugs are proven to be addictive and anyone who tells you otherwise is ignorant- i get so angry when poeple post that they aren't- i wish they had to also post their research and proof- buy the new book the antidepressant solution by dr joseph glenmullen- he is a harvard psychiatrist/psychologist who has done tons of research and looked in thousands of cases of peopople on these drugs- his books explains the horrible addiction even on the smallest of doses and explains how to safely taper off w/the least amount of discomfort (the withdrawl can be hell and there are accounts or people commiting suicide)- i am fed up with the doctors who tell us there are no side effects, long term effects and withdraw- let them take the drugs for a year and then tell us that!!- you don't need your doctor for anything but to give your the rx so you can keep getting the drug so you can safely withdrawl- best of luck to you- i have been there-

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:34 pm

Originally posted by kphoo:
[qb]these drugs are proven to be addictive and anyone who tells you otherwise is ignorant- i get so angry when poeple post that they aren't- i wish they had to also post their research and proof- buy the new book the antidepressant solution by dr joseph glenmullen- he is a harvard psychiatrist/psychologist who has done tons of research and looked in thousands of cases of peopople on these drugs- his books explains the horrible addiction even on the smallest of doses and explains how to safely taper off w/the least amount of discomfort (the withdrawl can be hell and there are accounts or people commiting suicide)- i am fed up with the doctors who tell us there are no side effects, long term effects and withdraw- let them take the drugs for a year and then tell us that!!- you don't need your doctor for anything but to give your the rx so you can keep getting the drug so you can safely withdrawl- best of luck to you- i have been there-[/qb]
Well, I guess I will have to just agree to disagree. There are those that feel the way you mentioned and those who do not.

It is best to listen to ones doctor.

On another note , and seeing things from the angle of a Psychiatrist or therapist...I just had my son in Saturday to see his therapist. She said that they have more problems with individuals who absolutely refuse to take their meds, and said they are in very very "poor" condition. She said they get it all the time. She said that some just feel they "don't need them" or that there "must be something wrong with me" if I have to take them, "no-one else does" is another remark. But she said the consequences can be great, very great.
Sometimes she said that they have to actually give therapy to help them overcome, or deal with the fear of meds.

So, that is the other side.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:00 am

The truth is... If you take a benzo for over a few weeks your brain & body gets use to it and you become what some people call, an accidental addict! Unfortunately benzos are very addictive psychologically and physically! It’s never a good idea to just suddenly stop taking them!!! The best thing to do is talk to your doctor and come up with a reasonable taper plan!
I have been on ativan for a few years and I never felt I was addicted to it at all… It helped me feel normal, whatever that means! I was feeling better so I thought I would just stop taking it …. BIG mistake!!! I went through crazy withdrawal after the third day! Not everyone will react in the same way and other factors take a role in how u may or may not react… But from my personal experience it didn’t go to well. Now I’m no longer ignorant on the truth about benzos and I’m actually ready to start tapering off the drug. I’m scared (because of my previous experience) and excited at the same time!!! : )

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”