Lorazepam addiction

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:28 pm

Originally posted by clevelandspartygirl:
[qb]When it comes to these kinds of meds i do beleive that they are very addictive!!. I was told by a doctor that alot of other Doctors prescribe meds because they get paid for ever prescription they write. This might be why your shrink dont want you to come off the med.
There is a websight that you can go to that will tell you all about the med and how to ween off and what type of cleanser you can get for your body to get the toxins out . It is <A HREF="http://www.prozactruth.com" TARGET=_blank>www.prozactruth.com</A>
Best of luck to you ..[/qb]
My sons doctor doesn't do that. He always says that the whole idea is to "do better with less". He also says that if we see him doing well after several weeks to "cut back" the dosage. In time he says, he may actually go off of it for periods of time.

*30 years experience speaks.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:30 pm

Ah well, I think we are all smart enough to know when someone here is knowledgeable in what they're talking about and when someone is, as they say ... a little off their rocker? Honestly, that's to be expected at any forum so don't let it bother ya none. We've certainly had our share of looney toons pop in and out over the years. :) Remember ... question and research for yourself everything you read here because some of us don't know what dah heck we're talking about. Well, at least one of us. :D

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:43 pm

*30 years experience speaks.

Jimp,

Your 30 years of experience speaks for ONE individual !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give it a rest already. You seem to be hung up on being "right". Let it go .

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:44 pm

Originally posted by sunset34:
[qb]*30 years experience speaks.

Jimp,

Your 30 years of experience speaks for ONE individual !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give it a rest already. You seem to be hung up on being "right". Let it go .[/qb]
Yes, of course. And that *one* individual happens to have 30 years of experience in Psychiatry.

I also have a sister who is a registered dietician and a doctor (surgeon). She has said that she has used Ativan to HELP alcoholics. You heard it right. Ativan can actually help alcoholics come off of alcohol, it weens them from it.
I also have another sister and sister-in-law who are both RN. My sister-in-law has a Father who has Huntingtons disease and uses Ativan as well. It helps alleviate the symptoms of the disease. Huntingtons is extremely dehabilitating.

I also know of an Amish family here that uses Ativan for their two Mongoloid (handicapped) children and they use it on a STEADY basis. It has been an enourmous help to them.
Ativan can also be used if one has a death in the family and places a member of the family under great duress.

And I am just sorry, but vitamins and supplements in many cases just simply don't cut it, if that is what you are into.
They have their place, but so do meds.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:50 pm

Originally posted by Craw:
[qb]Ah well, I think we are all smart enough to know when someone here is knowledgeable in what they're talking about and when someone is, as they say ... a little off their rocker? Honestly, that's to be expected at any forum so don't let it bother ya none. We've certainly had our share of looney toons pop in and out over the years. :) Remember ... question and research for yourself everything you read here because some of us don't know what dah heck we're talking about. Well, at least one of us. :D [/qb]
Hey Craw,

What sort of vitamins and supplements are you selling? And for whom?

That's O.K. if you do, just wondering??

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:43 am

Jimp,

I've known craw for a few years now , she is not selling vitamins or supplements.

I think it's time for some intervention in this post because you just cannot accept that others may have a totally different experience with doctors and medication than you.

I think it's great that Ativan can help alcoholics to come off alcohol. Did you know that they also use GABA supplements and various anti-depressants ? What difference does this make anyway? I took Ativan on an "as needed" basis years ago and never became addicted but does this mean that someone else cannot become addicted ? Of course not.

I personally believe that there is a good place for benzos. People who are dealing with extreme stress need something temporary while they go through therepy. I understand the significance of this med and how valuable it can be for certain individuals. There is a time and a place for ALL things.

However, whether a person IS or ISNT addicted to a benzo is up to THEM ! The person taking the medication has a much better idea of what it's doing to them than an outsider.

You have shared your ideas and beliefs about the subject and you push and push because you believe you are right and I believe you won't give up until people just choose to ignore you.

I am asking that you be more considerate in your posts and sensitive to those that are struggling with their meds. Instead of telling them what they ARE or ARE NOT feeling, try to be more sensitive towards people.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:36 am

Hi all, I've been reading all of your posts, I was so happy to see that someone else made it successfull off of Klonopin. I have been taking 0.5mg 2x/day for 2 1/2 years. I cut 1/4 of the evening dose off last night. I am hoping that someone else out there understands and can offer some advice.

I talked to my primary care physician this morning, his thought is to only take 1/4 off every 3-4 weeks. What kind of tapering system has anyone else used? Any side effects while going off of it? Maybe I was just nervous, but I woke up SO many times last night with a increased heart rate and nervous feeling. I have been 100% better lately, and want to make sure that I don't fall backward.

Any advice would be appreciate! Thanks.

ERIN CAN

Post by ERIN CAN » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:20 am

ss11,

You can sustain recovery by working cognitive-behavioral therapy and make it part of your daily living !! The skills taught in this program work and remember to use them , especially at the first sign of your old symptoms. When you become really good at the skills, they will kick in automatically and your thoughts will automatically look for the positive, which will, automatically keep you balanced mentally. Learn to manage your stress DAILY with exercise, good diet and good sleep routine. This along with a healthy thought process will keep you moving ahead in recovery!!

Be encouraged ! And know that you can do whatever it is you need to for yourself !! ;)

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:07 pm

Originally posted by sunset34:
[qb]Jimp,

I've known craw for a few years now , she is not selling vitamins or supplements.

I think it's time for some intervention in this post because you just cannot accept that others may have a totally different experience with doctors and medication than you.

I think it's great that Ativan can help alcoholics to come off alcohol. Did you know that they also use GABA supplements and various anti-depressants ? What difference does this make anyway? I took Ativan on an "as needed" basis years ago and never became addicted but does this mean that someone else cannot become addicted ? Of course not.

I personally believe that there is a good place for benzos. People who are dealing with extreme stress need something temporary while they go through therepy. I understand the significance of this med and how valuable it can be for certain individuals. There is a time and a place for ALL things.

However, whether a person IS or ISNT addicted to a benzo is up to THEM ! The person taking the medication has a much better idea of what it's doing to them than an outsider.

You have shared your ideas and beliefs about the subject and you push and push because you believe you are right and I believe you won't give up until people just choose to ignore you.

I am asking that you be more considerate in your posts and sensitive to those that are struggling with their meds. Instead of telling them what they ARE or ARE NOT feeling, try to be more sensitive towards people.[/qb]
Yes, but you almost sound as though you are anti-medication. Even Lucindas workbook STRONGLY suggests medication as an option if things just get too hard. She says NOT to be afraid of it. Neither should Future.

This Ativan is a wonderful drug created by men to help alleviate problems. It is very useful and some individuals may be on it for a long time. A very very long time. One individual above said 6 years with no addiction at 3 Mg. per day.

Now, my brother was an addict. He took these things by the apparent handfuls, along with Vicoden, and oxycotten, and God only knows what else. He devoted his life to finding the stuff and figuring out ways to get it. He went through a divorce over it, and eventually died 2 months ago from what we feel was an overdose on heroin. The autopsy is not done yet at this time so we are not sure.
Yes, in all regards a true addict, addicted to many drugs.
But used properly these meds are absolute blessings to many many individuals. And they can be on them for many many years safely.

And BTW, I think that even the folks at the drug rehab center "kinda knew" about Future and sent him back to his doctor.
They, of all people knew there was no addiction. They deal with addictions on a steady basis.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:38 pm

I HAVE BEEN ON THE SAME MED. FOR 5 YEARS 1MG 2X DAILY. I CANT STOP EITHER I TRY AND I CAN STAY OFF FOR A BIT BUT THEN IM RIGHT BACK ON THEM. GOOD LUCK IM TRYING TO GET OFF TO. IF YOU WANT TO TALK EMAIL ME AT FASTNHARD26@AOL.COM,

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”