Lorazepam addiction

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
MelanieC

Post by MelanieC » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:45 am

Future,

BTW, your dose is so small 0.25Mg. that you should just be able to stop. For that matter THAT would be the next step because there is no smaller dosage.
You will just return to whatever you were before. I doubt that such a small amount is hardly affecting you anyway if you had anxiety to begin with.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:20 am

Dear Future-
Wow what a heated debate! Everyone obviously has their own opinion- however, I can tell you again that I was taking Xanax and/or Clonopin pretty consistently for about a month in a half. In that time, I took the med 29 times (not everyday, but nearly that)...I was NOT, NOT, NOT using it to get high . I have never in my life abused any drugs! I was taking it because my anxiety was so bad and the med made me feel better...so when I didn't have it in my system, it screamed for it. Of couse- if something makes you feel better you're going to like the stuff! Does that make YOU and "addict"? OR is your BODY addicted? I go with the latter. Again, you'll find so many different views... And YES, it was only .25 that I was taking. The best thing for you to do is to speak to a medical professional, whether it be your GP, a psych (not the same one), etc....and work with them to get through this. You can do it...Good luck! :)

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:52 am

Dear Future,
I'm kinda thinking that you just think that you are addicted to the Lorazepam because you are afraid to go anywhere without it. I'm guessing you are more afraid of the feelings of extreme anxiety or having a panic attack and you want to make sure that if it happens you have something that will take care of it right away. BEEN THERE DONE THAT!
I also was taking lorazepam for the longest time on an as needed basis.
I got to the point where I was tired of taking it so I would take 1/2 of a tablet and see how I did.
I even carried 1 pill around for 2 years, just incase. I finally threw it away because it had expired.
Maybe you should go back to your psycologist and tell him how you feel. Ask him why he doesn't want you going off of the meds. What are his reasons. Tell him you really want to get off of it and that you guys are partners in this.
If he still isn't cooperative with you see your GP he will definetly help you.
You said you are doing so much better so now is your chance to stick up for yourself.
Don't worry about carrying some with you for the just in case times.
We need to take baby steps in this process and you will get to the point where you won't even need to carry it with you.
Good Luck
Sherra

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:57 am

And yet another example of a thread being torn to pieces. Telling someone they're crying over nothing??? I thought this was a support forum. That's support??? People come here for comfort and understanding. Not to be told they are big, fat, faking cry babies!!!

It's really sad when people are misinformed by their own doctors. :( What I would do would be my very own research on the subject. It certainly can't hurt to check things out on your own. It's something we should all do anyway, regardless of how long our doctor might be practicing. I could tell a horror story about the top eye surgeon in my state, the guy who was supposed to be the very best around. But...blah, never mind. In the meantime, it's really not a good idea to spread misinformation around here. And, as I think I mentioned before in a different thread, we're not doctors and even if we were, how could we possibly diagnose and prescribe treatment for an addiction (or, to some of us, a fake addiction) over the internet? Even a real doctor wouldn't do that.

Future, honey, you can take a little bit of everyone's advice here and piece it together for yourself. If nothing else you're more educated on the subject than you were before. I wish you a happy and healthy new year and if you don't mind my saying, I hope you find a more helpful doctor soon. You don't seem very happy with this one. I think it's important to have someone who believes you, listens to you, and respects you.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:06 am

Right on Craw! Has anyone noticed that the person we are supposedly supporting hasn't posted a reply? I think we may have run the poor guy off. That's not to say that all postings weren't positive, but some seemed inappropriate. Let's stay positive! One last thing, I totally agree with Craw, as I said before, you should try to find another doctor with whom you feel more comfortable. I wish you the happiest future, (no pun intended!).

Mary

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:12 am

Originally posted by Craw:
[qb]And yet another example of a thread being torn to pieces. Telling someone they're crying over nothing??? I thought this was a support forum. That's support??? People come here for comfort and understanding. Not to be told they are big, fat, faking cry babies!!! [/qb]
:) Well said, Craw. :)

I think the sad part is that this person is relying on second hand information and not the empathy of personal experience with anxiety and medications that most of us have. All too often I find that people who haven't been through chronic anxiety or a panic attack have a hard time relating to the experience. And that includes many health professionals.

I do hope that Future has been back to see the entire thread to see there are people that understand what he/she has been going through. And hasn't been scared off by the rantings of one misguided individual.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:04 pm

Originally posted by fallingapart:
[qb]Dear Future-
Wow what a heated debate! Everyone obviously has their own opinion- however, I can tell you again that I was taking Xanax and/or Clonopin pretty consistently for about a month in a half. In that time, I took the med 29 times (not everyday, but nearly that)...I was NOT, NOT, NOT using it to get high . I have never in my life abused any drugs! I was taking it because my anxiety was so bad and the med made me feel better...so when I didn't have it in my system, it screamed for it. Of couse- if something makes you feel better you're going to like the stuff! Does that make YOU and "addict"? OR is your BODY addicted? I go with the latter. Again, you'll find so many different views... And YES, it was only .25 that I was taking. The best thing for you to do is to speak to a medical professional, whether it be your GP, a psych (not the same one), etc....and work with them to get through this. You can do it...Good luck! :) [/qb]
If Xanax returned you to "normal levels" of function then how could you be addicted?

Did you go "beyond" normal levels?

My guess is that it was not your body screaming for Xanax but was your desire to feel normal.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:09 pm

Originally posted by Craw:
[QB]And yet another example of a thread being torn to pieces. Telling someone they're crying over nothing??? I thought this was a support forum. That's support??? People come here for comfort and understanding. Not to be told they are big, fat, faking cry babies!!!
Craw :D
Where have you been? It looks like you have your list of usual complaints :p

How was your Christmas? Find any chill pills in your stocking?
The childrens chewable type? Heh.. :)

Carolyn Dickman

Post by Carolyn Dickman » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:22 pm

I will say it again.

Future IS NOT addicted. He only THINKS he is. He is simply obsessing over his meds and his doctor. And I think his doctor knows it.

This is not unusual for someone who might have OCD (if that is what he has). Obsessing over such thoughts can be common.
But he is NOT addicted. My son obsesses from time to time as well. What I have learned not to do is "feed" these types of thoughts.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:28 pm

Originally posted by clevelandspartygirl:
[qb]When it comes to these kinds of meds i do beleive that they are very addictive!!. I was told by a doctor that alot of other Doctors prescribe meds because they get paid for ever prescription they write. This might be why your shrink dont want you to come off the med.
There is a websight that you can go to that will tell you all about the med and how to ween off and what type of cleanser you can get for your body to get the toxins out . It is <A HREF="http://www.prozactruth.com" TARGET=_blank>www.prozactruth.com</A>
Best of luck to you ..[/qb]
My sons doctor doesn't do that. He always says that the whole idea is to "do better with less". He also says that if we see him doing well after several weeks to "cut back" the dosage. In time he says, he may actually go off of it for periods of time.

*30 years experience speaks.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”