Lorazepam addiction

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
Future

Post by Future » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:54 am

Hi everyone,

I would like to first wish everyone a happy New Year. I hope 2005 is good to you. I am very concerned about my future, it has been three almost four months since I have completed the prgram and thanks to God and the program I am doing very well. My only problem is my addiction to Lorazepam. I have been taking this medication for six months now. My psychologist started me at o.5mg twice a day along with psychotherapy. I am now at o.25mg per day no thanks to my psychologist I had to beg him to help me withdraw. In fact he helled at me. Now I am afraid to go back to him because the thought I visiting his office depresses me. I have consulted a drug rehad but they told me they need by psy to be involved in the withdrawal treatment. He will never agree to this because he doesn't want me off this medication at all regardless of the long term effects. I don't know what to do I am struck between a rock and a hard place. There are days when I just cry, I want my life free of this drug but I don't know how. Please any advise would be appreciated.
"To thy ownself be true".

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:11 am

Is that a nerve pill cause i take the same thing i think.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:13 pm

Originally posted by Future:
[qb]Hi everyone,

I would like to first wish everyone a happy New Year. I hope 2005 is good to you. I am very concerned about my future, it has been three almost four months since I have completed the prgram and thanks to God and the program I am doing very well. My only problem is my addiction to Lorazepam. I have been taking this medication for six months now. My psychologist started me at o.5mg twice a day along with psychotherapy. I am now at o.25mg per day no thanks to my psychologist I had to beg him to help me withdraw. In fact he helled at me. Now I am afraid to go back to him because the thought I visiting his office depresses me. I have consulted a drug rehad but they told me they need by psy to be involved in the withdrawal treatment. He will never agree to this because he doesn't want me off this medication at all regardless of the long term effects. I don't know what to do I am struck between a rock and a hard place. There are days when I just cry, I want my life free of this drug but I don't know how. Please any advise would be appreciated.[/qb]
Future, You are NOT ADDICTED.
That is impossible on such a small dose. You may think you are but you are not.

If you are using Ativan to only correct an imbalance and nothing beyond that then you are not addicted.

These are ONLY addictive if one takes them to get a "high" or to be "sedated". THEN they can become addictive.

You are crying about nothing whatsoever.

How long have you been on this? My son takes 1 Mg. a day and has no addiction whatsoever, because he only uses it for anxiety, not to get high.

blueskies4me

Post by blueskies4me » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:29 pm

Thanks for the replies. I really I am addicted to this medication because I bring it with me everywhere I go I will not leave the house without it. I get anxious just thinking out running out of the medication. I have trouble seeing my life without it and this scares me because I am only 25.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:30 pm

Dear Future...

First of all...certainly NOT to offend anyone because we are all entitled to our opinions based upon experience or research, however, the true meaning of addiction is needing more and more of whatever it is to get the same effect. Which you are NOT doing. Does carrying around a bottle for security indicate addiction? Nope. I have to tell you this....years ago, I carried around my bottle of generic xanax...and here's the quirky part..LOL..when I got the script refilled......i carried around the new pills in the old bottle......Can't believe I was ever there in my life! Sheeesh. I don't know what to tell you about stopping your Ativan, however, I would like to tell you this: If there comes a point when your Mental Health Professional is CAUSING you anxiety or adding undue pressure, this might be an indicator that it is time to seek out another professional. I know the thought of that isn't appealing, it's always hard to start over with someone who wants to hear ALL OVER AGAIN about your childhood, your parents, blah blah blah.......but I really do think it might be time to seek out someone else.
Just a thought.....Good Luck and don't beat yourself up over the Ativan. You are causing yourself more anxiety by obsessing over the med.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:59 pm

According to their own website the drug you are taking is highly addictive. It sounds like you need to find a new psychologist. There is NO reason for a professional to ever yell at a patient. This is totally unprofessional and you should file a complaint about the care you are receiving. Check with your primary doctor and explain what happened and your concerns about the medication you are taking. Especially if he referred you to your psychologist, he or she needs to know what happened to save others from the same treatment.

I wish you the best of luck. Give yourself a break! Hang in there, it really does get better, I promise. I was in a very bad place a year ago and other than the occasional bad day or two, I am doing much better. I hope you find another psychologist who will listen to you provide you with the best care possible.

Mary

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:13 pm

Hi there,
You CAN indeed by addicted to your med, regardless of the strength. My husband is in the field of pharmacy and can very well vouch for the highly addictive nature of these drugs. I myself have been taking Xanax and Clonopin (also benzodiazepines- like Lorezepam) and was only taking .25s. I didn't even take it every day and my body got used to it. I have had a VERY difficult time adjusting. There are many websites that explain what benzo addiction and withdrawal symptoms are. The bottom line is that everyone is different. Body weight also plays into the picture. Anyway- I do agree that you should find a new psych, good luck to you- you CAN do it!

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:40 pm

Future,

If you believe you are addicted to your med then you are probably addicted. Only you know whether or not you are having a hard time getting off of it and how it's effecting you.

According to Merriam-Webster:
Addicted means- " to devote or surrender (oneself) to something habitually or obsessively"

One of the risks with medication is that some people do become dependent upon it even after they have learned the skills. Part of recovery is learning to face your feelings and learning to use the skills to cope with your feelings. Recovery is about coming to the realization that feelings cannot hurt you and that it's OKAY to have a panic attack.

If you are still afraid of your feelings and still afraid of a panic attack then you are not fully recovered.

I highly recommend that you review the tape "truth about medication and alcohol" in the program and then find a doctor that has YOUR best interests at heart.

Tapering off of Benzos can be very dangerous. Please only do this under the supervision of your doctor and/or with the help of a qualified pharmacist. They do sell pill cutters at the pharmacy so you can taper off as slowly as you like.

I also encourage you to work on the phobia of being without the med. Take baby steps by going small distances without it and slowly increase your distance and length of time every day. Overcoming your emotional attachment to the meds will take some time and patience. Use your skills just as before.

Future...I am thinking and praying for you and your recovery. You can do anything you want to do with education, practice and endurance !!!!

EileenV

Post by EileenV » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:55 pm

I have been taking Lorazepam for a long period of time to help me sleep. You metioned the harmful effects of it. Is it something that can phyisically harm you? If it and the program have helped you, why stop taking it?

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:21 pm

Hi There,
I have used Ativan Sublingual for 6 years off and on. For the past 6 months on a regular basis. Up to 3 mg a day.
We are all different and react differently to meds, some people have a tendency to become addicted to things while others don't.
I bring my Ativan with me everywhere. I keep them where I can easily get one or know that they will always be with me. I always make sure my Dr. prescribes me enough to cover me just in case I need to take my maximum dose. I always have.
Am I addicted? no. For me it is security. There are days when I don't take any, and days when I take my maximum dose. I plan eventually to start going places without my pacifier (ativan)I am a newby to this program but not to Panic or Anxiety and the drugs and treatments used for them.
My advice would be to see your Family Physician if you have one. He may be able to refer you to someone else, or help you himself. I don't understand why your Dr. would want you to stay on them, if you feel you will be fine without them. You can always file a complaint.
Also remember to try not to over react (not saying you are). If you are addicted, you will be fine. You will find the help you need. There is nothing about the dose you are on that is life threatening or will harm you. It is simply not high enough to cause immediate physical harm at that doseage per day.
Take a breath, take your time coming off of it.
You will be fine..
Steph

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”