WEIRD PHOBIA...

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
aliengal24

Post by aliengal24 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:59 am

Hey, you're not alone. I used to watch scary movies a lot as a child. But they would stay with me for a long time after. I realized once I grew up a little that scary/weird movies are not for me. I'm much too sensitive to watch them. I always end up on the verge of an anxiety attack either during or after the movies..or I just keep thinking about it and I freak myself out and think someone is following me trying to kill me or something! Craaazy. So I stick to light romantic comedies, and just funny movies in general. It's not weird for people with anxiety to not like scary movies. We're just very sensitive.

luvpiggy

Post by luvpiggy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:13 am

Hi,

It all makes perfect sense to me that some would have this phobia:). Avoiding watching something where you feel out of control or that triggers your "fight or flight" response or just makes you feel "weird" or "depersonalized" in the escape, etc., just makes perfect sense to me, and isn't weird:). People with anxiety are in a constant vigilant state and want total control, and any hint of being out of control is threatening and triggers fear that they will lose control.

I've avoided most scary movies for years(especially the gory ones), or anything that just makes me uncomfortable with bizarre content regarding reality(like Vanilla Sky) or that goes against my religious beliefs. I messed up and watched a recent Nicholas Cage movie because I didn't know it was about the end of the world(I thought it was about stopping the end of the world), but because of skills I've learned in this program and my stronger faith, I was able to cope with it easier and talk myself out of anxiety than I would have been had I not done this program.

The point of watching movies is enjoyment and escape, and even in this program, Lucinda talks about avoiding a movie with friends where she knew she would obsess and have a negative reaction. In other words, this probably isn't something to force yourself to do, especially if the point is to enjoy it. On the other hand, I went to the movie theater for the first time in 7 years this summer on two dates with my husband. It was to see the new Star Trek, and the Terminator movies that I knew I would enjoy. I focused on the joy and excitement. To me, that was worth it, but I wouldn't have forced myself to watch something scary that I wouldn't enjoy even if I used to enjoy it.

I know people who don't like to listen to music because they are so controlling, and they can't handle anything that stirs their emotions or makes them feel out of control so just to let you know that some people even avoid something else that could be enjoyable. It all makes sense, but I just want to assure you that as you go through this program, you will learn to focus on the joy of activities that you may be avoiding because they make you "feel" at all because at this point it's hard to see the difference between excitement and nervousness. This program will teach you the difference:), and you'll have better boundaries when choosing what to watch on television and knowing that you are in control and can enjoy certain escapes when desired.

Take care,
luvpiggy

Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:22 am

Maybe for your recovery start renting some Disney movies. But you know what, I kinda don't blame you, even movies approved for children have scary elements. It's pretty sad. I don't blame you for having anxiety about movies, even mild ones. They aren't all what they are cracked up to be.
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

Boon

Post by Boon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:07 am

We are very sensitive indeed. I've been at this for years and I still only watch certain things. If my husband is watching something that bothers me I ask him to change it or go watch it in the other room. It's worth it to me to speak up for myself. I recently watched a movie that I really, really like but woke in the night and that's all I could think about. The anxiety I had over this movie passed. (I always ask for more anxiety to help me let it go.)

I'd like to add that music affects our sensitive nature as well. Some days I can handle rocking out to country and western which I thoroughly enjoy but somedays I can't stand the beat and go toward ocean sounds or other sounds of nature or soft piano.

So it's understanding that this is our sensitive nature. It's how we are put together. Honor that. It's OK.
"Life is not about comfort. It is about living." Dr. Howard Liebgold

rocko

Post by rocko » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:46 am

i also have this problem. i can only watch comedy.i think for me heath shows are the worst even commercials give me trouble.all the ones about heart attacks cant stand those

xlostgirlx

Post by xlostgirlx » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:50 pm

I came acrost this thread you posted and i was like .. omg. Because i know what you mean. I use to could watch scary movies but now i can't. I watched one of the new SAW movies and i started to get aches and pains in my body and feel me breathing hard and feeling uncomfortable like i was feeling the pain or something.
Also when i watch House on tv i see all the medical problems they have and think i might get them and start worrying out of my mind feeling extremely paranoid.

aliengal24

Post by aliengal24 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:22 am

One movie that we all might be able to relate to, at least a little bit is "What About Bob?" It's a comedy about a guy played by Billy Murray who is afraid of everything and has to overcome his fears! So that's one movie that might be okay : )

luvpiggy

Post by luvpiggy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:18 am

Carla42,
I love that movie:)! Yes, I agree that everyone on here who has a fear of movies would love it:). I actually own it, and if you have a subscription to Netflix, and have the internet capacity, etc. you can watch it online at their site:).

luvpiggy

Post by luvpiggy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:22 am

I just wanted to add that there is just no reason for any one of us with anxiety to torture ourselves by forcing ourselves to watch a medical drama or a horror movie that causes us anxiety. I think that goes back to not really thinking that we are worth setting healthy boundaries for or believing that we do not have the power to be in charge of taking care of ourselves. Xlosgirl, you could not pay me to watch a SAW movie:)!!!

Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:50 am

I agree, I wouldn't watch a horror flick. Just looking at the cover for the SAW movie made me sick enough. When I was a teen I watched a horror flick called "Fun House" I could not sleep all night, I was traumatized!
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”