WEIRD PHOBIA...

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
godsbabygirl

Post by godsbabygirl » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:46 am

IVE NEVER HEARD ANYONE WITH ANXIETY SAY THAT THEY WERE SCARED OF WATCHING MOVIES, BUT I AM... I DONT NO WHY OR WHERE IT CAME FROM. AND ITS NOT ALL MOVIES ITS LIKE SCARY MOVIES AND WEIRD MOVIES. THE FIRST TIME I EVER HAD A PANIK ATTACK AND HAD NO IDEA WHAT IT WAS I WOKE MY HUSBAND UP AND MADE HIM COME DOWN STAIRS WITH ME AND HE TURNED THE T.V. ON AND I REMEMBER YELLING SAYING DONT TURN ON ANYTHING SCRY. ITS REALLY WEIRD, CAUSE I USE TO LOVE MOVIES LIKE THAT. BUT I THINK ITS JUST FEAR THAT I WILL SEE SOMETHING THAT WILLL GIVE ME A PANIK ATTACK OR SOMETHING... I DONT NO... IS THIS A PROB. WITH ANYONE ELSE???/ I FEEL SO STUPID IM AN ADULT AND CANT EVEN ALWAYS SIT THROUGH A MOVIE.PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT,THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND GOD BLESS U ALL!
in god we trust

momnum1

Post by momnum1 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:40 am

HI. This is the first time I have posted, even though I have been reading for awhile. I also have this phobia! I just can't bear to watch (or do, for that matter) anything that I think will give me an anxiety/panic attack. I used to love these kinds of movies also, but I just don't want to see anything "wierd". I don't even want to think about it! I have another weird phobia, which is ridiculous, but it seems to be stuck!!!

I have no advice about getting rid of these, but just know you're not alone. I think I could reply to every single symptom I have read on this board!

godsbabygirl

Post by godsbabygirl » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:16 am

WOW! I FEEL BETTER NOW! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING. IT HELPS SO MUCH TO NO THAT YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE. MY HUSBAND IS A MOVIE FREAK TO, SO THAT DOESNT HELP. A FEW WEEKS AGO HE MADE ME WATCH THIS MOVIE WITH HIM, I FORGET WHAT IT WAS CALLED BUT IT WAS ABOUT All these jailmates and theere was a guy in jail that was litterly crazzy, it was so hard for me to watch i had a killer panik attack and thoguth i would go crazzy and loose it from watching it... i really hate anxiety. anybody else that goes through this or has any advice please reply. thank you
in god we trust

BePositive-Amy

Post by BePositive-Amy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:20 am

I had this problem for almost a year I could not watch tv every time I watch I get anxiety.. Its probably because all of negative and images on the TV create negatives thoughts in your head and sure it will develop your anxiety. Now I have no problem watching TV... But I am try to control what I watch... I have no problem watch Disney channel.. ALso, especially with hurrican Katrina it became too much for me and it makes me anxiety so I avoid watch it...

I dont think your phobia is werid just that you might need to work on thoughts and not let TV influence you...

~Domestic~Goddess~

Post by ~Domestic~Goddess~ » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:04 am

i have only just started watching tv again these last few months, and before that i would only watch safe stuff like sitcoms. i now can watch the news with my man, but it does bother me still. i just do it and try not to let it get to me. Peace and Blessings.
www.myspace.com/anxietysucks

Baittousai

Post by Baittousai » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:21 am

YES!!! I can't watch scary movies anymore, or anything weird for that matter. My daughter and I like to watch Survivor and even that gets me going sometimes. I think it's because I couldn't imagine being stuck on an island somewhere and having a panic attack and no where to go! But I have to remember, I'm not on there and never will be and those people obviously like being there so what am I so afraid of! But YES, thank you guys for bringing this up........I can't go to the show without some major sympoms either. Remember, we are not alone! God bless.
M.

rica516

Post by rica516 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:42 am

Yup, the news was disasterous for me. I didn't watch anything for a while - even the sitcoms would have messages that I wasn't able to digest. I still have to be careful about what I watch because I really don't tolerate violence or shows where there is a lot of arguing.

mranxious

Post by mranxious » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:23 am

When I had extreme anxiety and panic 3 or 4 years ago, I'd have the same fear. For me it wasn't as much violence as psychological thrillers. I remember going to see Vanilla Sky (one of those "you see me but I'm really dead" movies), and I had panic attacks for months since then, wondering if I too might be dead and other original thoughts like these. That, eventually, made me fear I had schitzophrenia, and despite my therapist's multiple reassurances, I was unwilling to believe that everything was fine. But then, I got better, and these problems kinda disappeared. I still don't really watch these movies, but I never enjoyed watching them in the first place. At the same time, I know that if I go with friends to see a psychological thriller, I will be just fine. Something you might want to try is, when you're feeling really scary or panicky, just close your eyes for a minute and say to yourself, "this is just a movie, and it's not going to hurt me in any way."
Good luck!

Ann75

Post by Ann75 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:12 pm

hi!!
i wanted to reassure you that you are not alone! if you go back to 9/24 on this forum you will see a post from me called "scary thoughts".....i am describing the exact same feelings you are. i cannot tell you how happy i am that you posted this.....if you notice i had 0 responses to mine....made me feel even more odd. there is nothing like knowing you are not the only one experiencing these thoughts that make you question yourself & scare you like crazy!!
thanks again & remember THIS IS NOT FOREVER:) :)

amberlee

Post by amberlee » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:51 pm

I had always enjoyed watching scary movies until I had my first panic attack, 6 years ago, and ever since then I have been struggling with anxiety. I was invited over to my cousins house one night to watch House of 1000 Corpses, and out of the blue all of these scary thoughts started to creep into my head, and I felt as if I was going to lose control, go crazy, and act like the pshyo in the movie. I know that I will not go crazy, but it is still hard to put myself through those feeling, so therefore I dont watch scary movies or anything scary on tv. Sometimes it is even hard for me to watch the news because the real world is scary too. I wish that I could get over this fear, but I am not sure that I will.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”