Root Canal and Nervous

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:49 am

Hi, I had a root canal not too long ago. I had been a really bad phobic and had not been to dentist for 26 years !!! imagine the state of my teeth.
I used hypnosis to help with the phobia and I couldnt believe when I had the root canal, it was no where near as bad as I expected. The dentist I have is really good and he numbed it so well I felt nothing apart from a bit of pushing and pulling which didnt hurt.
If you are afraid of needles you can ask your dentist to use the 'magic cream' to numb your gums before using needle. Dont be embarrassed to ask for it, hey I am 51 years old and I still ask for it !
Dont worry, the apprehension is always worse than the event !!

Marshal9

Re: Root Canal and Nervous

Post by Marshal9 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Great post. I have to undergo a root canal treatment, this weekend. I was also fearing about panic attacks. But now I think I can bring my headphone with me to avoid these attacks. I hope my dentist in Torrance will allowed this.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:08 pm

Hello All:
If I ever needed to have a root canal done I would probably have to visit an oral surgeon
and get anesthesia ! :shock:

I never had a problem with going to the dentist until I started having problems with
anxiety. Now I absolutely am terrified of having dental work done. I have a great
dentist and the dental hygienists are great too. The last time I had major dental
work done I had a full blown panic attack ! I told the hygienist and the dentist that
I was having a panic attack. I had the feeling that I couldn't swallow. My jaw was
clenched tight. And I just didn't feel right. :?

Headphones and televisions do nothing to distract me at the dentists office.
The needle does not bother me because they use the numbing cream before the
give me the shot. But it is the DRILLING noises that terrify me ! Even if I have
the headphones turned up on high volume I can still hear that drill noise. I hate it ! :!:

Also, once when I was having dental work done the base of the drill was overheating.
Then the part of the drill that was hot hit my lip and my tongue ! I was horrified.
I was already having a problem with fear and anxiety about going to the dentist
BEFORE this happened. Anyhow, the dentist later apologized for the defective drill.
Also, a long time ago when I was getting dental work, my mouth was not numb enough
and I started to feel the drill when it was drilling, so at this time they had to
give me an additional shot of numbing stuff for my mouth. NOW when I visit the dentist
they have a note in my chart to give me DOUBLE the amount of numbing stuff.
:cry:

I have to have three fillings next month. I am not overly excited about having this
done. I was supposed to have the fillings this month, February and I changed it
to NEXT month. Also, the cost of all of this dental work is outrageous, that gives
me anxiety too. I live on a fixed income and dental work comes at a high price.
WHY all of a sudden, during the past year, do I need all sorts of dental work.
I want to keep my teeth in good shape, but come on, I don't have a lot of money.
:x

One time when I went to my dentist for a visit the dental hygienist asked me
"How are you doing today?". My answer was " I am terrified ". She did not know
exactly how to react to my answer ! At least I was honest ! I was and AM
TERRIFIED of going to the dentist. :o

LyndaLu :o

S3anne

Post by S3anne » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:38 pm

Hi. I can relate! I love this site and it's funny how many topics I can relate to. I'm in desperate need of a cleaning & possibly more. My husband says I need a root canal because I've been complaining of sharp nerve sensitivity on one side whenever I eat or drink anything hot or cold. I spent most of my childhood in braces or having surgeries done to fix my teeth. I never had cavities or anything like that. Just crooked and extra teeth that were blocking my adult teeth from coming in. Anyway, the last cleaning I had done was several years ago & that was only partially done because of the build-up & my near panic of lying there for so long with the poking and scraping and yuck! I'm getting anxiety just typing about it! Well, last summer I had them remove the last of my braces and I'm seriously due to go back in, but I'm scared. I know I need to go, but the physical & emotional stress is too much for me to deal with when I'm there (or even thinking about going there!). Any advice? Thanks!

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”