Surge of adrenaline as I nod off to sleep

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
TooBluey

Post by TooBluey » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:06 pm

I am experiencing a new symptom. As I am trying to go to sleep, I get these flashes of a feeling that is hard to explain. I feel like my brain is misfiring and I get this empty feeling. I am not sure if it feels like adrenaline, but it only last for a second and then comes again a couple seconds later. It continues like this until I either get up, or get so tired fall asleep. I am also feeling really dizzy during the day. My anxious personality is making me jump to all these catastrophic conclusions. I have just started taking ativan, but I don’t think this would be a reaction to the drug. I would love to know if anyone else experiences this?
Thanks, TooBluey

Leopolda

Post by Leopolda » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:28 pm

oh my god, i can't believe someone else feels them too! i get them too sometimes,have no idea why. This happened to me about a week ago and it kept happening for about an hour. As soon as i started to nod off, this "surge" thought would wake me up over and over. This sent me into anxiety and had to take the adivan so i could calm down. I don't know what it is but i had to reply because i am wondering myself! i hate to say it, but i'm glad i'm not the only one!
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.....Mother Theresa

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:52 am

Oh, yes, I've definitely been there! When my anxiety was at its peak, I would doze off and then jerk back awake, as if I had stopped breathing or something, and my heart would be pounding. This went on for four months before I started taking Prozac and my anxiety disappeared. Even now when I am really anxious about something, it sometimes happens, but not very often anymore.

Jen

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:03 am

Hello,

I too, get this. I have to take something at night now, to go to sleep. It is the weirdest feeling. I'm almost afraid now, to try to go to sleep.

Liz V.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:58 am

I get that occasionally and I hate it! I just do the 2-4 breathing and say a little mantra to myself. Don't laugh but I repeat, "comfy, cozy" in my head and I always fall right to sleep.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:37 am

I found a website that talks about how the body jerks right as you are falling asleep. Is this what you guys experience?

<A HREF="http://kidshealth.org/kid/talk/qa/jerk.html" TARGET=_blank>http://kidshealth.org/kid/talk/qa/jerk.html</A>

lilsismj

Post by lilsismj » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:56 am

I have had this too. I am so relieved that others expereience this too. Thanks rica for the web link.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:50 pm

hi there, i get the exact same symptoms. not sure what im going to do, but im going to try getting more fresh air during the day, and spending some time really calming down a few hours before bed. I think it could relate to me over doing the booze at christmas. Do you drink much alchohol or take any other recreational drugs? One thing I must stress is that ativan is not the answer. honestly, please do not take it. My father was having panic attacks in the 80s, and the doctor put him on ativan. he has now been agoraphobic for 25 years, leaving the house very infequently, and he suffers from numerous other idiosyncratic nervous disorders. please avoid that stuff. it cost my dad his career and his freedom.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:14 pm

ps. its quite normal for the body to sometimes have the sensation of falling. this is called a myoclonic jerk i believe. what i am experiencing is quite different. i can feel a definate surge of adreneline through my body, and then as you stated, i feel an 'empty feeling' as my heart slows back down.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”