Covid-19 Concerns

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
coachchris

Covid-19 Concerns

Post by coachchris » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:34 pm

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to jump on and see how everyone is doing with the virus. A lot has been changing in our communities the past few days. Schools are closed, church and large group events cancelled. I suspect more changes are coming. It is very important during these difficult times to really put into practice ALL the tools of the program: Here are a few key ones for the mind and body.

I would love for everybody to share what they are doing to help lower the stress, adrenaline and obsessive thinking. For example: last evening I was having a hard time sleeping so I put on youtube and listened to a sleep meditation from ABIDE. It really helped me get some rest.

*Body feeling activated:use your relaxation exercise every few hours.
*2-4 Belly breathing helps so much and will lower stress hormones.
*Appetite off-try to eat smaller meals or snacks like nuts, a hard boiled egg or yogurt.
*Don't forget water and minimize the alcohol and caffeine.
*Obsessing and circular thinking:write out negative/lies and replace with calming positive truths.
*Limit news coverage and social media if it is activating.
*Too much information and our brain gets on overload.
*Remember, we are sensitive overthinkers and very good at catastrophic thinking.
*Distraction is going to be key: pick up a new hobby, get outside, watch a funny show, read something
inspiring, listen to uplifting music, pray with faith.
*Support: get connected with positive supportive people.
*Practice gratefulness every morning...first thing!
*Check out essential oils to help with anxiety and sleep. https://www.healthline.com/health/essen ... ne-for-you

I look forward to supporting each other through this challenging season. It will pass. We will be stronger.
Lastly, please share the forums and this information with family and friends. Let's pass on peace!
Take good care of you!
Coach Chris
coachchris@stresscenter.com
Last edited by coachchris on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

coachchris

Re: Corona Virus Concerns

Post by coachchris » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:06 am

A couple more thoughts after talking with many of you yesterday.

If your phone is a source of anxiety set it to Silence or vibrate and commit to checking it less frequently.

Many of you will have kids home for awhile. If they are experiencing some anxiety or worries I highly recommend this resource. It mirrors the the program program really well.

Lastly, my ASK COACH Chris thread on the main forum board is packed full of great information. Please share it! We all need to spread the peace!

Dawn Huebner
What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety (What-to-Do Guides for Kids)

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:25 pm

Hello Again,

How is everyone coping?

One thing I heard from a few of you is how you tend to step up to the plate when things get difficult.
I am curious to hear more conversation on this. Anybody else feeling this way?

I had a few people in Florida say it felt like it does when a hurricane is coming: Kind of unpredictable where it will land but always watching and tracking it. Everyone rushes to the stores for the water and the TP :P
Makes sense to me.

I slept really good for several nights then I watched news too late. Not good! I am really working on NEWS DISTANCING.. I am sure some of you can relate. I want some news but not too much. I asked my husband to help me with this. He can watch it a lot more than I can and has absolutely no problem falling asleep. :roll:

I do like listening to KLOVE and praying through my thoughts. This is very helpful for me. I would Love to hear what you all are doing.

Peace and Health,
Coach Chris
coachchris@stresscenter.com

Fireandice192001

Post by Fireandice192001 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:04 pm

I have been putting my phone on silent as well. I stopped watching the news as well. I stopped getting on fb. I’m concentrating on my work. I don’t like that I hear the news when I’m at peoples houses.

Fireandice192001

Post by Fireandice192001 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:15 am

Mornings are the hardest for me. I haven’t been wanting to eat. Maybe a couple times a day. Maybe the weekend will be better. I’m ready for this to pass. When I’m alone I just cry. It’s just so scary. I have to let go of that control. I am journaling but it’s very hard to find the positive to make myself feel better. I did listen to ABIDE a lil last night. I did drink some warm tea. I did listen to the relaxation tape as well. It would be nice

Fireandice192001

Post by Fireandice192001 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:16 am

To have a time set for group chat in the evening if anyone is interested.

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:44 pm

Yes, I was thinking the same. Either a chat in the morning or evening or both.
Anybody else want to chime in on this?
I was thinking 10 am and Maybe 7 pm EDT?

Fireandice192001

Post by Fireandice192001 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:27 am

I’m needing support. Negative thoughts getting the best of me.

Bryce_in_TX

Post by Bryce_in_TX » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:00 am

Anybody watch the Bob Ross "Joy of Painting" series? It relaxes me. I enjoy watching him create something. There's also another painter that's a better painter but his videos are 2 hours long. Yikes. Bob's are just a half an hour. I enjoy watching them both. Peaceful and relaxing for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09mujeLUYBM

Keep in mind that this virus is like a mild to moderate flu with younger people. Generally not that serious for younger folks.

For us older folks, there are two prescription medicines that may be of significant benefit.

"Cuomo made his remarks at a lengthy press conference where he announced that the state is receiving 10,000 doses of the drug combination hydroxychloroquine and Zithromax from FDA, which will be used in a clinical trial. "

https://www.ajmc.com/newsroom/fda-appro ... rug-combo-

My wife takes the hydroxy for severe arthritis and it works very well for her. It reduces the inflammation, pain, and stops her immune system from attacking her joints. So, I hope these drugs show efficacy for the virus. There have been a couple of situations where it has shown to be helpful with the virus, France and NY state. That would be great news for everyone since a vaccine could be a year off.

"These Drugs Are Helping Our Coronavirus Patients
The evidence is preliminary on repurposing two treatments. But we don’t have the luxury of time."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/these-drug ... 1584899438
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

Napoleon Hill

coachchris

Re: Covid-19 Concerns

Post by coachchris » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:26 pm

Hello Friends,

We are almost 2 weeks into things shutting down around here. Just today the order from the governor to "shelter in place" took affect. My husband is part of the 'essential" group so he comes and goes as needed.
We seem to be finding a place of acceptance with it. My body has settled into a space of calm with bits of activation if I allow myself to slip into the rabbit hole of overthinking. :roll: ALL in all things are going pretty well.

One thing I wanted to mention is to continue to evaluate your stress level on a scale from 1-10, 10 being panic. If you find your stress levels are elevating steadily this would indicate the need for better self-management. Once we get to a 5 on the stress scale the body symptoms begin to run the show and the harder it is to manage the present moment.

How to Manage Stress Levels:
Take notice of how the body is responding to thoughts and circumstances.
Practice the 6 STEPS from Lesson 2. Acceptance, Breathing, Comforting Truthful Self-talk.
Make sure you keep your thoughts moving into a realistic positive conclusion.
Be aware of freezing your thoughts in a scary space and ruminating. Find the core fear.
Write out the audio track you want to have.
Revisit Lesson 14 and the Core Skills.

The good news is we can short circuit the stress response quickly, continue to learn from our experiences and become stronger and braver for it.
We are all in the this together.
We are here for you,
Coach Chris

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”