Regressing :/

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
jodilyn

Regressing :/

Post by jodilyn » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:25 pm

I just got home from the ER because of a racing/pounding heart. It happened last month and I was able to wait it out at home, but this time it bothered me so much that I wanted to go have it checked out. This was the first time I've gone to the ER for anxiety issues, surprisingly, and I've had anxiety and panic attacks for many years. Everything checked out perfect, which I assumed would be enough relief to make all of my anxiety go away, but nope. I'm definitely better than when I went, but I'm still feeling a little uneasy tonight.

I first went through this program about 20 years ago, and it changed my life! I couldn't believe how much better I felt and I never, ever worried about anxiety. But, about a couple of years ago I began having anxiety here and there, and then it got much worse. I ordered the program again last August, but I'm not doing it as consistently and as well as I did the first time. I thought I could just start out at the beginning and then skip to the areas I was having the most trouble with. I also had stopped doing the relaxation session as consistently. It seemed to be working fine, though. About a month ago I noticed how great I felt and how I wasn't letting anxiety keep me from doing things it had been in the past. And this is going to sound weird, but I was actually craving Dr. Pepper and drinking more of it this particular week. I felt "back to normal" and it felt so good. Saturday evening I was just sitting in my chair getting sleepy when all of a sudden my heart started racing and pounding. It lasted for about 8-10 minutes and I thought I was going to have to go to the ER. My husband was able to help me calm down and I felt better. Not great, but better. The following days were filled with dread and worry that it was going to happen again. My anxiety was consuming me. After a few days I started feeling back to myself, but still with a little more anxiety than normal. The past five days, I've had Dr. Pepper/tea at least 4 times and today the racing/pounding heartbeat happened again. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not. It's hard to believe that just the caffeine alone caused this when I've drank caffeinated drinks throughout the years with no anxiety.

I guess I'm needing someone to remind me that there's a reason for the order of the sessions and the workbook/relaxation session. And, to reassure me that even though I feel like I'm regressing, the program can work again for me. Thanks for the support!

sldonn

Re: Regressing :/

Post by sldonn » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:38 am

Hi! I hope you are feeling better. In my opinion it sounds like caffeine is triggering some of it. There are some days I can have a little mocha in my coffee and it doesn't bother me and other times wham! Maybe I was just feeling stronger than others some days. I would try cutting out all caffeine and sugar and re-do the program. I also went through the program and had to come back to it. Im not beating myself up over it, in fact I'm proud of myself for recognizing I needed it and doing it. Keep track of your thoughts too and maybe you can find some triggers :)

jodilyn

Post by jodilyn » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:22 am

Thanks so much for your encouraging words. I agree about the caffeine. I went ahead and started the program from week one and I haven't had any soda or tea since that day I went to the ER. Right now it's just out of fear, but I know as I begin to feel back to normal that I'll start drinking some. But, I'll know better than to overdo it. It's really been helpful listening to the tapes again and re-reading the workbook. This past week has been so much better than I ever expected it would be. I'm so grateful for this program. Thanks, again for replying!

Kucek

Post by Kucek » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:56 pm

I totally understand about the "Caffeine" situation. I have a love/hate relationship with coffee..I am so very tired from the depression and chronic pain...I drink a cup to get going and wake up so I'm not so sleepy and weary, but then an hour later I get shaky and panicky. For a few months, earlier in year, I could handle it....but then I endured about FIVE health issues in less than a month, plus the information my house call Dr was leaving town (I am severely agoraphobia...almost house bound..trying too work on it!) So now I drink ONE weak cup a day..I never drink soda...just water, except for a few ounces ginger ale when upset tummy or nausea. Caffeine is bad for anxiety, I guess too "wean" off it?! So glad too see people writing again. Support helps. I'm praying to God for relief, recovery, healing, and living life again for us all. And thank you for your prayers.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”