Smart watch....anxiety inducing or relief?

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
jodilyn

Smart watch....anxiety inducing or relief?

Post by jodilyn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:55 pm

Hi guys,

I want to preface this post by saying that I know very little about smart watches :) While my anxiety is getting much better, I still have feelings in my body, mostly chest related, that tend to cause some anxiety thinking it's something bad. I heard a news story about a man whose smartwatch alerted him that he was in AFib and needed to get medical help. That got me wondering if a smartwatch could give me some comfort regarding my fears I have of something going wrong with my heart. Typing this out, I realize that I sound a little crazy :) It's not that I'm constantly worrying about this, but when I exercise, my heart pounding still causes me a little anxiety. Also, sometimes I feel a flutter in the middle of my chest followed by burping. I've talked to my dr about it and we both feel like it's probably just gas. Sometimes the feeling, though, causes me to get close to having a panic attack and I wonder if a smartwatch would alleviate some of those irrational fears. Any suggestions?

coachchris

Re: Smart watch....anxiety inducing or relief?

Post by coachchris » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi Jodilyn,

Thanks for posting this! This is becoming a common question but I don't think I have seen it in the forums yet. First and always when making these kind of decisions we want to be sure facts are leading the way not fear and/or feelings. Making a fear based decision will just continue to grow the anxiety/obsessing. A fact based decision will bring truth and peace. It's all about what's motivating the decision making. I hope this makes sense :)

I had similar obsessions and after much testing, money and dr. visits, I came to the fact based conclusion that my heart is healthy. The body symptoms were gastric or anxiety related and I learned to float through them. I don't have a heart condition. I have a healthy body that is getting healthier. This was my positive selftalk.

May I ask how old you are and how are you doing with your 6 steps from lesson two?
Here to help,
Coach Chris

jodilyn

Post by jodilyn » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:02 am

Hi Coach Chris,

Thank you for replying and I apologize that I never did. I didn't buy the smartwatch because I totally agree with you on the reasoning behind it.

I did not finish the program like I had the first time I went through it. My anxiety was getting better and things were going pretty good until recently when I had another episode. Do you mind giving me some insight or advice?

One night I woke up in my recliner and was so comfy that I changed positions and was gonna fall back asleep. Out of nowhere my heart started beating fast and that set off my anxiety to the point that my heart was pounding so hard and fast that I immediately took my anxiety medicine, which I hadn't taken in over a month. I had no chest pain or trouble breathing so I was confident it was only anxiety. I walked around my house distracting myself with my phone for about 15 minutes and my heart rate went back to normal. Three weeks later, my anxiety is worse and I'm always worrying this is going to happen again. Why would this happen when I was completely relaxed? I understand if I were doing something active.

Back story: I've had panic attacks/anxiety off & on for about 25 years. Last April I went to the er for the first time because of it. After some light yard work my heart started beating fast and just got faster & faster. It scared me so much that I went to the er. After that I got a work up of my heart and everything checked out great.

The correlation between the two episodes is that I was drinking a lot of Dr. Pepper and tea the few weeks prior. I hate to think caffeine can really be the cause because when I feel my best, like I'm actually getting back to normal, is when I really crave Dr. Pepper and tea. That sounds kind of weird, but when my anxiety is worse, I'm a little scared to drink them because of the caffeine. My whole life I've drank mostly tea and soda, why would it now be affecting me this way? And, is it really or is it all in my head?

My biggest anxiety these days all has to do with "What if my heart starts racing/pounding?" I don't even feel safe exercising/taking walks. It scares me to death 🥺

Thanks for listening,
Jodi James

Bryce_in_TX

Post by Bryce_in_TX » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:37 pm

Hey Jodilyn. Hey Andy, hey Opie, hey Gomer. Whut? Oh never mind. :P

Don't mind me, Jodilyn, I enjoy trying to be funny. Emphasis on try.
Why would this happen when I was completely relaxed? I understand if I were doing something active.
I don't know. I do know the Program can be effective at countering the anxiety and any depression. That I've experienced.

Just wanted to reply and say welcome to the group.
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

Napoleon Hill

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”