scary/obsessive thought

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
sldonn

scary/obsessive thought

Post by sldonn » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi, I just have a question about lesson 10. To me obsessing about a thought ( which my mind races like crazy) is completely different than scary thoughts like hurting someone. so I'm a little confused with the homework because it seems like the workbook is making them out to be the same thing. Im sorry if this makes no sense, Im just really confused with this lesson any help I would appreciate it
Thank you

Truthworldwide

Re: scary/obsessive thought

Post by Truthworldwide » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:51 am

I'd say in practice they're two different things - you can obsess about "the bridge" analogy, i.e. being scared about driving over and getting stuck on it; which then leads to the scary thought of "I'll hurt my kids" - you're using the stressor (and the obsessive thinking that accompanies it) and replacing it mentally with the scary thinking.
-Tom

Activate interlock.
Dynotherms connected, infracells up, megathrusters are go!

Form feet and legs.
Form arms and torso, and

I'll form - the head.

coach21

Post by coach21 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:20 am

Hello! In that scary obsessive thoughts were one of my more challenging symptoms of anxiety I have a lot of resources to share. There is a lot of research to support that we all have obscure, spontaneous, intrusive, automatic thoughts. For example, someone may experience a benign heart palpitation and bombard themselves with a lot of irrational statements i.e. "I am having a heart attack!" "I'm going to pass out!". Because they've reinforced belief in these thoughts he or she will begin to hyperventilate or drive themselves to the emergency room. Others are very sensitive to certain stimuli for example a mother may be watching a disturbing newscast and begin to ask herself a lot of bad questions i.e. "how could someone do that?" "Could I ever carry out that act?" "Why am I asking myself these questions!?" thus creating a circle of anxiety for herself. They key is to obtain a foundation of knowledge and know that all humans get intrusive, spontaneous thoughts. The goal is not to rid oneself of these thoughts rather eliminate the anxiety, frustration and depression associated with these thoughts. Hope this helps and feel free to contact me should you need any support. God bless.

Truthworldwide

Post by Truthworldwide » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:06 pm

coach21 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:20 am
Because they've reinforced belief in these thoughts he or she will begin to hyperventilate or drive themselves to the emergency room.
Absolutely concur there. Circular thinking is one thing, but putting actual weight behind these obsessive thoughts is where you get into the "scary territory."
-Tom

Activate interlock.
Dynotherms connected, infracells up, megathrusters are go!

Form feet and legs.
Form arms and torso, and

I'll form - the head.

Kucek

Post by Kucek » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:57 pm

I am having problems getting thru the scary obsessive thoughts too. I really do not worry about hurting others, or even myself, very rare if at all. My main worries are getting a terrible disease or dying,( or one of my loved ones) being in a wheelchair, mostly because I can barely walk and the pain so severe and being all alone, an invalid without aide or help. Chronic pain, depression, and anxiety can be hellish. I am pretty much housebound which defers getting good medical help. When these thoughts come I try too yell STOP! And distract and say soothing comforting thoughts and of course pray. My stomach gets the brunt of the stress. I pray we all get thru this journey, of healing and help! Coach Chris is a wonderful Coach! God bless you all, Your replies are helpful....good luck Tom!

sldonn

Post by sldonn » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:50 pm

Thank you everyone. Im still on lesson 10 and still struggling with the homework. I think I'm just reading too much into it and disecting it until it makes sense, which isn't helping. I have a difficult time driving and my answer to the homework question, what is your most obsessive thought? My answer is driving because I'm afraid I will get pulled over and have a panic attack and then I'll be hauled off to jail because they will think I'm doing something wrong. I'm trying to find the layers they refer to in the workbook and I think thats whats driving me crazy, I can't find any.

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi Sidonn,

It sounds like your scary thought about driving is a fear of loss of control with the panic? How are you doing understanding and managing the adrenaline? Are you able to use the 6 steps from lesson two with confidence? How are you doing with relaxation cd?
Typically obsessive thinking is centered around deep rooted lies that are fear based. Try to replace lies with facts/truth/positives.
Lastly remember that when practicing any of our limitations to always move slowly. Make the practice doable where you feel like you have some control. Lesson 8 helps with understanding the pace of practice.

I would be happy to have a free coaching call with you if you would like to speak over the phone.
Email me at coachchris@stresscenter.com if you would like to set something up.

Coach Chris

sldonn

Post by sldonn » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:01 pm

@coachchris. Thank you so much! At this point I know that I'm still having panic attacks because I'm afraid of them and yes I do have a terrible fear of losing control with them. I do my relaxation CD every day and can bring it to my mind automatically. I can initiate the breathing immediately as well but the 6 steps as a whole I need to work on. When I have anxiety I walk ALOT lol I remember to keep busy. I have been driving more little by little but haven't left my comfort zone at all.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”