Benzo to help get on antidepressant?

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
HopeinHim

Benzo to help get on antidepressant?

Post by HopeinHim » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi Everyone,
I've been trying to do the program and having a real struggle keeping at it. Seems my anxiety is so high that I can't concentrate well enough to keep at something. My PNP wants me to take Klonopin, but agreed I could try Prozac instead. I've heard great things about Prozac helping, but I'm so nervous to use it, that I get sick everytime i take a pill. So, I've temporarily stopped trying that. I don't think it's the pill, I'm pretty sure it's anxiety, as it's one of my main anxiety symptoms :( I'm wondering if anyone has used a benzo like Klonopin every day, for a few weeks, just to overcome the anxiety of getting on an antidepressant? How bad would it be to then wean off it?
I'm really hoping that some Prozac will calm me enough to help me concentrate and take the necessary steps to get over this anxiety. It has become somewhat debilitating in this last year and really is beginning to affect so many areas of life. I want to be free to enjoy life again, and to do things without worrying for weeks ahead of time!
Thanks for listening! :)

coachchris

Re: Benzo to help get on antidepressant?

Post by coachchris » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:35 pm

Great Question! Yes, a benzo can really help bridge the gap for some people. I did it myself back almost 14 years ago as directed by my physician. I was on the anti-depressant for about 11 months and the benzo about 6 months. I took a lot more benzo in the beginning and then gradually needed less and less as I worked the tools in the program. Relaxation and exercise really helped too. Everybody is different here and like you said when the anxiety is debilitating trying to find the right combination is everything. Keep talking with your Dr. You can always email me at coachchris@stresscenter.com if you have any further questions.
Coach Chris

HopeinHim

Re: Benzo to help get on antidepressant?

Post by HopeinHim » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi Coach Chris,
Thanks so much for your response! It's a great encouragement to know that this worked for you and didn't have to be for a long term thing! Right now, the benzo is working other than being a little sleepy. I'm still too scared to start the prozac. BUT feeling more confident about keeping up with writing out my negative thoughts and writing out the positive, as well as getting back to exercising! These were sticking points for me as I simply couldn't concentrate long enough to keep up with the process of thought recording, and I was way too scared to exercise! Hoping for better days ahead!

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”