Health Anxiety

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
Sammyjos

Health Anxiety

Post by Sammyjos » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi there, I was just wondering whether anyone has used this programme to overcome health anxiety and if so was there anything you found particularly useful. I have just started week 7 and am struggling a bit at the moment. TIA

coachchris

Re: Health Anxiety

Post by coachchris » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:35 pm

Hi Sammy,
This is Coach Chris from the coaching team here at stresscenter. Welcome to the forums.
I struggled with hypochondria for over a decade and found this program life changing in breaking the bad habit of obsessive thinking. Lessons 3, 8, 9 and 10 are going to be very helpful for you.

I would also recommend the "Ask Coach Chris" thread in the personal coaching section. I talk a lot about obsessive thinking in that section.

May I ask how is the program going for you? What's been the best part of it so far?
I look forward to your reply.
Coach Chris

Sammyjos

Post by Sammyjos » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:32 pm

Thanks for your response Chris. Glad to hear that you managed to overcome your anxiety and that the programme allowed you to do this.

In terms of the programme so far I think I have found just listening to symptoms and experiences that other people have had, reassuring in so far that I'm not the only one going through it. Guidance on exercise and diet have been interesting and I am trying to implement this. Although with a three year old and husband that works long hours fitting any "proper" exercise is difficult on a daily basis, although I am trying!

I have been working through the programme in order, is this correct, or should I jump to the sessions you have highlighted? Where I am struggling at present is to accept that anxiety can cause the physical symptoms I am experiencing, I am convinced there must be something seriously wrong with me to be doing this. Having had a cancer scare a couple of years ago, this is my main worry, any ache/pain must be caused by cancer. This then consumes my daily thoughts. I want to get over this to be a great mum and set a good example for my little one.

I will hunt out the ask Chris section now.

Thanks

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi Sammy,

I would jump to those lessons I mentioned and just listen to and read through each lesson once. Once you're done with that go back to the lesson you are on. I am confident by doing this you will glean a handful of powerful truths to help you feel better faster.

Anxiety creates all kinds of body symptoms and many people get stuck overthinking them. I would try postponing the obsessing in 3-5 minute increments. Use your 6 steps from lesson 2 to help with this.
Tell yourself you're going to allow the sensation to be there and not attach any label to it for 3 minutes. We call this mindful acceptance. Focus on other senses during these 3 minutes. What your hearing, touching, smelling, seeing and tasting.

Let me know how this goes. We can always schedule a free coaching call over Skype if you would like to talk.

Keep up the exercise, healthy eating and relaxation. This help the body recover much faster from all the adrenaline.

Warmly-Coach Chris

randy c.

Post by randy c. » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:26 am

Hey Sammy, welcome to the program.I had severe anxiety over my health until I joined this program. I can say it truly works.I was obsessed with every ache and pain.I convinced myself I was dying. That was eight years ago and I'm still kicking.I think session 2 & 3 helped me the most, maybe go back and review.I know it dosent feel like it now but it will get better. Heres a tip that might help, sing along with a favorite song (you cant have negative thoughts if your singing ). ;) Good luck and remember its just anxiety.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”